uniqs
share rss forum feed

totalaccess
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Austin, TX
reply to Telecomnet

Re: Initial investment for setting up ISP

As you can read there are several "things" needed for success of building any WISP, including but not limited to: bandwidth, installers, network gear, and so on.

In most cases people start out with 5k-10 investments but have to find a niche market where there is no wifi or wireless. Then you have marketing and sales to think about.

I've build several hundred Wisp's (for others) over the decade, and seen demands flex in bandwidth due to VOIP and streaming video, so beware customers esp residential are extremely greedy and want to pay as little as possible.

Take time and actually do a cost cost analysis study on your WISP. If you don't have one, let me know (message me) and I will send you over a sheet we created to help start-ups. Then once you know your costs (hardware, towers, bandwidth, installers etc) then write a business plan....

Yeah things typically change for Wisp's pretty fast, but basic business rules do apply ( taxes, permits etc) and you need to also have "working" billing solution in place. Hope this helps....

GHz Wireless
"Nothing But Net - 2012"

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Are you really sure taxes and permits are required? because last time I checked it really depends on the state because I know state of ohio dont require taxes on broadband unless your sell telephone services with it. What permits are you talking about?

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to totalaccess

Hi totalaccess, thanks for your reply. probably you got what I am looking for.
I am looking for some niche market and have found some regions where less than 10% household has got good internet. we have done some work in marketing and sales plan. I need to know the cost analysis as you know most of the investors want to know about it. I will be thankful if you can help me with start-up cost. But I don't need towers cost as we are planning to lease a wireless infrastructure. Please help me with cost analysis.thanks

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by teleadmin :

But I don't need towers cost as we are planning to lease a wireless infrastructure.

That's similar to what cellular companies call a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) or telephone line reseller Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC). They just buy the wireless/wired service and resell it.