Search similar:

uniqs
Michael_92
join:2012-07-20
Fife Lake, MI

Michael_92

[help] AT&T Huge Issues, Disconnects, Low SN

Hey everyone,

I am new here and looking for some help to my problems. I have the AT&T 3.0MB service. We have had it for almost 2 years now and have never ever had a sync speed of 3.0 EVER.

Our sync speed goes anywhere from 150kb to 2560kb sometimes hitting into the 2800s but only until it disconnects later.

The problem as of late has been the line dropping out all together, it will just be working then it will go into a loop where it will connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. It usually takes half a day sometimes longer to resolve. During this time my signal noise margin ranges from 1.2-5ish db, sometimes it holds in the low 6's but it is only temporary. The line attenuation is usually consistent between 55 and 60.

I called AT&T a few times and get something different story every time, They have told me the line is fine and that it is a problem on my end. Well there is just a few problems with that. I have NO PHONE and a phone line run directly from the box outside to the filter. There is NO inside wires. I have tried using just a little 6ft cord at the box too and it doesn't help the numbers.

The last time I called they said my modem was bad (mind you i couldn't keep connected longer than 20 minutes and when it went out it was out for hours). I went out and bought a new modem but unfortunately the only one I could get was a netgear. It doesn't seem to offer any statistics. It HOWEVER does the same exact thing as the old modem. Disconnects and reconnects, disconnects reconnects and it is now dropping the line quite a bit. I am watching netflix right now and it is stopping every 5ish min to buffer.

Unfortunately I cannot get a tech readout. The netgear doesn't have that and the old motorola met my temper and got broken.

Is there anything I can do to actually get AT&T to do anything? The very last time I called they said there was a problem and they do not plan to fix it. How can they say that to us?

What I really want to do is get charter out here, they end the line 1.1 miles from where I live and there are about 10-15 houses out here. They said they can't run lines here because AT&T "owns" this area. What does that mean? Is there a way we can get them? 30MB for $30 sounds way better than 3MB for $45.
Michael_92

Michael_92

Well we called AT&T the other day. They again said they really don't have plans on fixing anything and we will just have to deal with it. They are to cool of a company if you ask me.

btbrossard
Premium Member
join:2004-11-10
Burlington, WI

btbrossard to Michael_92

Premium Member

to Michael_92
I would imagine Uverse isn't in your area?

With a sn margin that low, the modem simply isn't going to work most of the time.

Is your line interleaved right now, or on fast path? Interleaving can help to boost a low sn margin.

The line attenuation is also pretty bad. 60 or above generally won't work.

Did you remember (or check) what your line stats were before the line started dropping out?

If you're on the edge of DSL availability, at&t may think it's not worth the effort to fix the problem or provide service at all unfortunately.
Michael_92
Fife Lake, MI

Michael_92

No we don't have Uverse.

We have always had that low of a SN margin, as well as the line attenuation. It was a few times between 8-11. That was many months ago, I would guess 5.

I believe it was interleaved, however not sure. This net modem doesn't tell me.

Yes unfortunately you are right, when I called they said the central office was over 10,000 feet away. I don't see them wanting to do anything about it. It makes sense from a business standpoint but really sucks for us, there is no one else out here that has anything. Unfortunately we are caught between a rock and a hard place and I don't know what to do about it.

btbrossard
Premium Member
join:2004-11-10
Burlington, WI

btbrossard to Michael_92

Premium Member

to Michael_92
Dealing with at&t can be a real pain at times.

I've mostly had good luck when a tech comes out, but getting that tech to come out can be extremely frustrating.

I feel for you. I work from home sometimes and I simply couldn't move to a location without reliable internet service. For more and more people, having high speed internet at home is more of a need rather than a want.

Kylewi187
@ameritech.net

Kylewi187

Anon

Hey I am having the same issue with the att DSL internet constant losing packets and disconnecting then reconnecting and repeat, it seems to do it only under heavy load (playing online games) or during peak hours possibly? (started around 8:30 central) this been going on for days and it is extremely frustrating, a technician is coming wednesday to hopefully figure it out. I havent had an issue like this with the att net before, not sure where your from michael but i am in the 53916 area
Michael_92
Fife Lake, MI

Michael_92

@btbrossard

Yea it wouldn't be such a problem but I work from home and need to talk to people, stream, and have internet access almost all the time. It's becoming a huge deal when most people don't even have to think about these things. Yesterday a friend of the family got charter (had AT&T DSL) anyway she got the 30MB package and the speedtest confirmed again and again that it was between 50-90MB. Oh how I wish I could get that.

@Kylewi187

Nope it is totally random. Last night at 2 in the morning my sync speeds varied from 224kbps to 960kbps. Not only that but when you have that bad noise it takes forever to load even google. I made a video of it doing all these things last night, i thought about showing AT&T but I doubt it would help.

Right now it is synced around 1500ish but pages are still taking a while to load, videos WON'T load.

You should let me know if the tech does anything for you. If he does than maybe, just maybe I might have a chance of fighting this thing.
Expand your moderator at work