Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to PX Eliezer70

Re: [Serious] Mass shooting at Batman

said by PX Eliezer70:

As for the truly whack job killers, like Columbine, like today's guy, like Virginia Tech, like the bastard in Norway, like Canada's Marc Lépine, there are similarities in their crazed thinking that transcend cultures and national boundaries.

Mental illness knows no nationality or culture.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
On CTV News tonight they mentioned this creep had his hair painted red and he mentioned something about "The Joker"...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by Kitlope:

Why has this turned into a US/Canada gun stat thread?

Because someone started discussing "An history of mass shootings in the USA since Columbine", as though Canadians like Marc Lépine never existed.

--------------------------------

Yes, we have a problem here, no doubt, but other countries do too.

And as gangs and drugs spread more to Canada, I am sad to say that the gap will narrow.

As for the truly whack job killers, like Columbine, like today's guy, like Virginia Tech, like the bastard in Norway, like Canada's Marc Lépine, there are similarities in their crazed thinking that transcend cultures and national boundaries.

It was never meant to be "Americans are evil, Canadians are good" comment... as I really don't believe in that crap.

Canada has had it's share of shootings...

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by PX Eliezer70:

said by Devanchya:

My only suggestion is to make guns harder to get....

I won't disagree, but Canada still seems to have plenty of shootings and (as above) that guy in Norway didn't have a problem either....

USA has about 10,000 gun murders a year,
Canada has about 200 which is about 1/6 the US has when population is taken into account...HOWEVER.
Australia has about 35 or so.
England and Wales is also under 50 (very tough gun control)

Canada can do much better, but the US definitely needs to do something to fix this mess.

With all due respect there is much difference. Those countries do not share the world's longest border with a country that has a love affair with guns. Furthermore, that country has also made as many enemies who would love to import guns or do anything else to de-stabilize the country... economically, socially, or physically.

Xerom62

join:2004-01-28
reply to jaberi
This is completely unconfirmed but TMZ has photos of an online user profile from an adult site. The photos are of a person with very similar facial features to the shooter but with his hair dyed red. There are many other similar details as the shooter as well.

»www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-hol···is-cops/

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
I wonder if any of us are truly affected by the violence that occurred today. Sure, it makes for good conversation, but with all the violence on television and movies, have we all become so used to shootings, killings and explosions that it has become difficult to tell where fiction ends and reality begins.
When I first saw the twin towers fall on 9/11, on TV, it was like watching a movie I had seen so many times before. Even today its like a scripted scene unfolding. I felt and feel nothing. Watching the news today, knowing none of the dead and wounded in a far away city, it was like watching a bad reality sure.
I still wonder is it a movie or real?
--
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything he says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

On CTV News tonight they mentioned this creep had his hair painted red and he mentioned something about "The Joker"...

It's not a long thread. You can do it.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
kudos:1
reply to jaberi
My daughter went to see the movie tonight in Pickering and she told me that the police were standing at the back of the theatre for the first little bit of the movie
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson
Expand your moderator at work

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
reply to jaberi

Re: [Serious] Mass shooting at Batman

I'm curious about what a 'profiler' would say about this type of crime specifically.

The guy was in med school so we can assume he's relatively intelligent.
Sound as if he's been planning this for a bit so he had many opportunities to change his mind.
No one yet has come forth and said anything indicating he showed signs in his previous behaviour. Just that he was a bit quiet.

If you hate or are even numb to others pain and suffering that doesn't mean you have to hurt people.

To plan, dress up and walk into a crowd of strangers with the intent to kill as many as possible is a very different criminal than say a rapist or someone who murders one person.

Lucas Magnotta for example is an attention whore along with his sociopathic qualities.

Is it just that he has no grip on reality? That part of him never matured and so when combined with sociopathic tendencies that's how he expresses his psychosis?

So if be interested to hear what the experts say about murders committed in public spaces, against total strangers in large groups.

It's not the first and sadly won't be the last.
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to jaberi
We were gonna see this tonight but got this irrational uneasiness about it and decided against it. I dunno. Probably will end up seeing it soon.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 recommendation

reply to PX Eliezer70
Someone determined enough to get weapons will get them, no matter how much gun control there is; just as someone determined to kill someone else is not going to let the absence of a gun stop them. A cultural change is required to reduce handgun crime.

That's not to say that handguns and long guns should be completely unregulated, but going to the other extreme, banning, won't eliminate the relatively rare mass shootings that have occurred in countries that have very stringent gun control, such as the U.K. and Norway. That's why public policy based on singular or rare incidents doesn't work.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre +2 others
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to kim
said by kim:

The guy was in med school so we can assume he's relatively intelligent.

If he was relatively intelligent he would figure out how to kill a lot more people than he did unless he liked the up close and personal approach. Heck I'm not even relatively intelligent and I could wipe out a lot more than he did.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
On the news it was reported he had loud music set to a timer in his apartment. Apparently the timer went off around the time he was at the theatre shooting people. A neighbour was interviewed on tv and she was disturbed by the loud music and went to his apartment and pounded on the door...

It is believed he hoped someone would get the superintendent to open his apartment door and enter into his booby trapped place...

This creep is plan evil...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Mental illness knows no nationality or culture.

How do we know he has mental illness?

Claiming everyone who commits crimes like this has mental illness is not doing anything good for people who have mental illness.

This type of crap has already offended a regular here who does suffer from mental illness.

»Re: HRM gay activist murdered by man on leave

Perhaps he is just pure evil?

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
reply to jaberi
DKS is fair to share his opinion on this tragedy just as you are free to share yours Ken (and you have shared plenty). You, nor I, nor just about anyone in here are not experts and are merely discussing an event.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
You are correct Robert... But if you clink on my link the person has a point... It is a form of stereotyping and stigmatizing a certain segment within our community... Not all persons who commit crimes or murder have mental health issues...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by vue666:

You are correct Robert... But if you clink on my link the person has a point... It is a form of stereotyping and stigmatizing a certain segment within our community... Not all persons who commit crimes or murder have mental health issues...

Dressing up as The Joker, committing mass murder and then booby trapping your apartment are certainly strong indicators of non-rational thinking.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
And because of stereotyping, people with mental health issues are leery to come forward and disclose they have mental health issues...

Not all person with mental health issues commit murder not all murders are committed by mental health patients...

Let's wait and see what unfolds about this shooter before making assumptions.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by vue666:

What, like...

said by vue666:

he was fully aware of his actions and the consequences (people would die)

Indeed, let's ALL do so.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

And because of stereotyping, people with mental health issues are leery to come forward and disclose they have mental health issues...

Not all person with mental health issues commit murder not all murders are committed by mental health patients...

Then I presume you believe that dressing up like a cartoon character, killing a dozen people in a movie theatre and booby trapping your apartment is a sign of a healthy mind.

Right.
--

Net Citizen

join:2009-01-22
Schenectady, NY
reply to jaberi
The fact that he was in the process of withdrawing from his PHD candidacy may have had something to do with this.

A PHD is the highest academic goal one can obtain - the failure on the suspect to achieve this may have overwhelmed him, inducing a "I'll show you" revenge mentality to develop.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Perhaps he is just pure evil?

"Evil" is a theological and moral category unrelated to this incident. It has no standing medically or legally.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by vue666:

Then I presume you believe that dressing up like a cartoon character, killing a dozen people in a movie theatre and booby trapping your apartment is a sign of a healthy mind.

Right.

Sorry DKS but this expert claims mass murderers often are not mentally ill, but seeking revenge....

»vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07···93940062

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by vue666:

Sorry DKS but this expert claims mass murderers often are not mentally ill, but seeking revenge....

»vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07···93940062

And why do people seek revenge? Think about this...
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
Instead of asking me, why not read the link and see what an expert believes...

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

2 edits
I don't like the article. Saying he's a failure in life as a PhD drop out is kinda bizarre. He clearly flipped his lid for whatever reason.

What this guy did can't really be explained and wrapped into a tidy neat box/explanation.

Net Citizen

join:2009-01-22
Schenectady, NY
said by Warez_Zealot:

I don't like the article. Saying he's a failure in life as a PhD drop out is kinda bizarre. He clearly flipped his lid for whatever reason.

Not really.

The higher your status, the harder the fall when you fail - especially if you were previously an over-achiever.

Some people spend their lives aimed towards one particular goal and yet when unable to finally achieve it, cannot fathom an existence outside of what they have already invested in.

For those of us on the outside, we're puzzled by why the suspect couldn't have just settled for being incredibly intelligent while holding masters degrees.

In the suspect's mind however, not having that PHD nullifies everything.

It's the same reason some athletes, actors, musicians and extremely wealthy individuals, despite all their accomplishments and holdings, still end up committing suicide in the end.

Of course, we're just guessing and it could be another reason altogether why he did what he did. It could all be over some chick for all we know.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit
I guess that's one way of looking at it. If it's true I wish he would have taken some time off to work or travel and come back to finish his PhD. At 24 it's too young to get stuck up on minor bumps and detours.

For what it's worth I think he had a serious mental breakdown (which is very typical around that age *having a mental breakdown *) and I personally doubt he would have done this if the guns weren't so accessible.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
Perhaps instead of using guns then he would have used more bombs and explosives... And then there are ways to make home made guns...

»www.bryanandac.com/new_page_10.htm

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8dwtEPM···=related