uniqs

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Simple Solution to SA Residents..

Simple solution is to not subscribe to any of AT&T's services that are delivered from the VRAD cabinets.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Robert:

Simple solution is to not subscribe to any of AT&T's services that are delivered from the VRAD cabinets.

So then you'll have a large, ugly refrigerator-sized cabinet in your yard that is going completely unused. It's not quite cutting off your nose to spite the face, but it's not too far off.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by Robert:

So then you'll have a large, ugly refrigerator-sized cabinet in your yard that is going completely unused. It's not quite cutting off your nose to spite the face, but it's not too far off.

How long would AT&T keep a VRAD activated if the cost of maintaining it exceeded any revenue?
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

said by Robert:

said by cdru:

said by Robert:

How long would AT&T keep a VRAD activated if the cost of maintaining it exceeded any revenue?

Until the sun explodes.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

We're talking about AT&T here. If they can't purchase the sun, they'll destroy it themselves before it explodes.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:

If the VRAD is replacing the legacy copper POTS, essentially forever until something else comes along.

I don't see them removing the VRAD if subscription rates did not make them effectively viable to run. I do see them stripping them of most/all equipment and just leaving a large metal shell sitting there if/when such a time comes.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by cdru:

said by Robert:

They MAY shut it down at some point if it proves to be a financial failure. (Looking at other U-verse markets though, not likely going to be the case). But they still won't be removing it, as removing it costs MORE money. They will just grab the equipment out, and leave the metal shell, bolted and all into the concrete, sitting where it is sitting.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:

We're talking about AT&T here. If they can't purchase the sun, they'll destroy it themselves before it explodes.

Nah, they will decide that purchasing the sun isn't worth doing, and fund a "grass-roots" movement to promote legislation preventing anyone else from purchasing or using it.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Robert

to Robert
Decades. I was in an AT&T tandem a few months ago and they had rows of gear in the CLEC colo area that was powered up doing nothing. According to one of the AT&T techs I know that gear has not been used since the mid 90s. I asked why it was still running and he said that no one has ever issued a ticket to remove or power down the gear so it wasn't anything he was going to worry about.

AZ_OGM
join:2007-01-12
Phoenix, AZ

AZ_OGM to Robert

to Robert
I thought a read a while back that the death star stopped deploying u-verse (same with VZ for Fios) and those that were eligible could get it; the rest were too bad, so sad.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Camelot One

to Camelot One
They'll probably fight tooth and nail - fund a grass-roots movement, and after they decide that its not profitable, go and sell it to a mom/pop landline carrier (Frontier) for a tidy profit, and claim it as a tax loss, and compete with it using wireless.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to mob

Premium Member

to mob
said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

..or the VRAD does.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by Jim Kirk:

said by mob:

Until the sun explodes.

..or the VRAD does.

Hey now, only a few VRADs have exploded so far.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

They MAY shut it down at some point if it proves to be a financial failure. (Looking at other U-verse markets though, not likely going to be the case). But they still won't be removing it, as removing it costs MORE money. They will just grab the equipment out, and leave the metal shell, bolted and all into the concrete, sitting where it is sitting.

look at the old pay phones.. although not many are around, in some areas they are shut off disconnected but left their and not doin anythin
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Decades. I was in an AT&T tandem a few months ago and they had rows of gear in the CLEC colo area that was powered up doing nothing. According to one of the AT&T techs I know that gear has not been used since the mid 90s. I asked why it was still running and he said that no one has ever issued a ticket to remove or power down the gear so it wasn't anything he was going to worry about.

...what a waist of money AT&T prob has many like that they dont even care about the old equipment they just wright it off some where down the line and let it sit in buildings.. runing and not doing anythin a bit of good
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to AZ_OGM

Premium Member

to AZ_OGM
said by AZ_OGM:

I thought a read a while back that the death star stopped deploying u-verse (same with VZ for Fios) and those that were eligible could get it; the rest were too bad, so sad.

they are still deploying it just not as fast or on same scale as before

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
You can thank the CWA for the "That's not my job" mentality. That's how it's looked at. If no one creates a ticket then they are not ging to bother with it. In all likelyhood the group responsible for that equipment probably does not exist anymore so there is no one to issue a ticket to remove it and the CO techs and managers are not going to bring it up because that is just extra work for them. The power to run it is not money out of their pocket so they don't care.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to en103

to en103
No, that's Verizon.
TheRogueX

TheRogueX to battleop

to battleop
No, this has nothing to do with the Union. That equipment is a liability suit waiting to happen if someone removes it without it being fully researched and properly decommissioned. This isn't your home office; you can't just walk in and turn the power off.

If AT&T wanted that tech gone, it would be gone. Trust me. Our CO is almost empty now, compared to what it was before. Why? Because obsolete and unused tech was removed. Some still sits on racks in the back, long-since powered down (and with the decommission stickers to prove it), but they don't remove it because, quite simply, the space is not needed. The digital equipment takes up so much less space than the old stuff that it's not even funny.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
Make a nice shelter for some homeless person.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
It will never happen. No corporation such as AT&T would ever have to worry about that because they easily manipulate the consumer and the price they pay. They won't let things slip.. so it's not really an issue.

You can tend to lose a few customers, raise prices very slightly to the rest and actually make more money. It's simple accounting.

CWA
@wayport.net

CWA to battleop

Anon

to battleop
said by battleop:

You can thank the CWA for the "That's not my job" mentality.

???

This would be a management problem. Nothing at all to do with the CWA.