Search similar:

uniqs

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3

Anon

MS Code Banished From Linux Kernel

BIG BOOBS banished from Linux kernel:

Microsoft has ‘fessed up to inserting the hexadecimal string “0xB16B00B5” in the Linux kernel.

Redmond has hung its head in shame because, once you remove the initial zero and x, then squint at the remainder in just the right way, the result is the term “BIG BOOBS”. The offending string is no mere frippery: it is apparently pressed into service whenever Hyper-V virtualises Linux.

Microsoft apologised to everyone in the known universe for the offense caused (in Network World), saying it is an “offensive string” and that it has “submitted a patch to fix this issue”.

The presence of the string seems to have been noted way back in May 2011 in this spinics.net page, which Wikipedia lists on its page about Hexspeak.

But the presence of the puerile string came to light again on July 13th, when a thread on the Linux Kernel Mailing List that included a comment from a poster named Paolo Bonzini, who mentioned the string again.

That set the snowball rolling and we have since seen the usual mix of outrage, counter-outrage, scorn and “how-will-we-ever-get-women-working-in-IT-if-we-carry-on-like-this-ism”.

The Reg expects the furore will eventually result in Microsoft and everyone who contributes to the Linux kernel promising to rid the industry of sexism forever by swearing on a stack of documentation and an icon of Linus Torvalds that they will never again type 58008618 into a calculator and then turn it upside down.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

rexbinary

Premium Member

Is that string referring to Ballmer?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

No, that would be A B16 600F
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to FF4m3

to FF4m3
Now that is H I L A R I O U S.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to FF4m3

to FF4m3
said by FF4m3 :

That set the snowball rolling and we have since seen the usual mix of outrage, counter-outrage, scorn and “how-will-we-ever-get-women-working-in-IT-if-we-carry-on-like-this-ism”.

If that's all it takes to keep them out, then I'm surprised women work anywhere at all.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3 to rexbinary

Anon

to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

Is that string referring to Ballmer?

Guess it depends on the viewing angle.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to FF4m3

to FF4m3
"That set the snowball rolling and we have since seen the usual mix of outrage, counter-outrage, scorn and “how-will-we-ever-get-women-working-in-IT-if-we-carry-on-like-this-ism”."

Maybe they can learn to live with a bit of childish teasing like the computer nerds learned to live with the bullying the jocks and girls gave them all throughout highschool. And quit trying to change the nerd/hacker culture/workforce to fit what the society that hates us thinks it should be.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

There's plenty of established law and corresponding corporate policy about how people should or should not be treated in the workplace. This isn't the place to debate it.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

"That set the snowball rolling and we have since seen the usual mix of outrage, counter-outrage, scorn and “how-will-we-ever-get-women-working-in-IT-if-we-carry-on-like-this-ism”."

Maybe they can learn to live with a bit of childish teasing like the computer nerds learned to live with the bullying the jocks and girls gave them all throughout highschool. And quit trying to change the nerd/hacker culture/workforce to fit what the society that hates us thinks it should be.

As an adult, living with it means submissive roles, less pay, poor treatment, many other belittling things that get compounded as time goes on and eventually accepted as "the way it is" because some groups of assholes think it's ok to treat other "people" as being somewhat inferior to themselves and usually never to the others face.

It's even a stupid justification. Same one where people beat their kids up because when they were kids they got their ass beat by their parents too.

But hey, it's just "how it is" right?

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen to FF4m3

to FF4m3
Them are some lop-sided 80085's yo!
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to firephoto

to firephoto
I'm not talking about living with it by like accepting discrimination, what I meant by live with it was they needed to live with the fact that they cannot censor other people's code they may not like it but censoring free speech(or in this case code but whatever) isn't they way to achieve equality. I could understand if it was hate speech, or even sexist, but this is no where hate speech not sexist. It was a person attempting to be funny and it got blown out of proportion, and now from what I've read on other sites people are tying to use it to censor free speech/free coding.

TL;DR What I meant by live with it was don't censor others just because a word happens to tick you off. Censoring hate/sexist speech is one thing, but this is neither.

Sorry for not being clearer being sleep deprived does that to me, finals weeks suck.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Sorry for not being clearer being sleep deprived does that to me, finals weeks suck.

no problems, i just know first hand how all the little things that can get said somehow get ignored when the situation is reversed, which is aggravating at times.

I also say the big boobs references is being pushed as childish as much as some are taking the other way and calling it sexist. Everyone has their agendas and methods of damage control.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
The keepers of a body of source code can refuse changes to that body of source code for whatever reasons they want. It might be for violating the One True Brace Style (K&R, thanks for asking) or for childish hex values. Them as guard the code makes the rules. We call that "maintaining code quality", not "censorship".

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

1 recommendation

wmcbrine to FF4m3

to FF4m3
I thought this would be about purging all MS code from the kernel so they'd stop patent-trolling. Oh well.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3

Anon

said by wmcbrine:

I thought this would be about purging all MS code from the kernel so they'd stop patent-trolling. Oh well.

Sorry. Maybe next time...
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

1 recommendation

Razzy to FF4m3

to FF4m3
I don't get the "offensive" part about it. Big Boobs. Yeah. Okay. ;p
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to FF4m3

to FF4m3
They might take it out...someone else will sneak it back in somewhere obscure.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3

relevant

»Re: Laptops spied on Students and Family covertly

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3

Re: MS Code Banished From Linux Kernel

Imagine that. Microsoft inserting something into code that has no purpose.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Imagine that. Microsoft inserting something into code that has no purpose.

I agree, as we all know, more than a mouthful is wasted.