how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

texastown

join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

[FiOS Phone] Huge Number of Robocalls recently

Recently, the number of robocalls coming thru our FIOS phone lines is crazy. Maybe 10 a day. We've registered with Do Not Call, it's useless. We don't answer, they keep calling.

I would like to know who to contact with Verizon to request a block on these types of calls. I've seen it mentioned that the phone companies sell our numbers and I would like ours removed/blocked.

Anyone know who to contact?

Thanks for any info.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Usually I've found that registering with Do not call works.

Is it the same phone number(s) that are used when they call?

texastown

Plano, TX
They use some sort of computer program that randomizes the name you see on caller ID as well as the phone numbers. It's a scam, supposedly coming from many different countries, like spam in our email. They offer "services to help people get out of debt", tho we have none, but anyhow they hope people will bite and give them personal info which they use for their illegal purposes.

Really annoying and being complained about in our local newspapers it's so bad. I had good results calling AT&T to get their bogus texts stopped on my cell, so I figure Verizon has a similar block available for our land line.

Do Not Call, Does Not Work, should be what that service is called.

Anyhow, I need a Verizon contact to discuss this with.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 edit
Nothing can stop illegal services from make illegal calls. DNC list works by blocking legal entities from nagging the crap out of you.

The DNC list has been a very big success. These calls you are getting now do ID spoofing and are for services like "credit card debt reduction", "car warranty extension", I've even heard there are calls now for " take care of Health care coverage now due to court ruling" - all are scams.

All these prey on the unsuspecting and typically the elderly.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to texastown
This has worked for us for computer generated calls. We got the older bulkier model though.

»www.amazon.com/Privacy-Technolog···0006881R
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to texastown
If your phone service is DV, you can block 10 numbers by going here:
»www36.verizon.com/FiosVoice/Sign···SSO.aspx
Calling Features / Incoming Call Block

I have no idea what a blocked caller hears on their end but when they call (and I can see that they have by viewing the call logs), we never hear the phone ring.

However, you can only block 10 numbers and if the caller has an endless supply of numbers...

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY
reply to texastown
I like to fight fire with more fire.

I like to pickup and say, "Wow you have a sexy voice. I'm naked right and could you please talk a little slower." If the caller sticks around I really get vulgar , fake masturbation etc. I always get a click and rarely get a call back. It works about every time with no call backs.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
The other day someone called me asking for a Barbra. I told them I chopped her up and had her in the freezer. If they could keep my secret. The guy said sure mother f**ker and told me he kills cats for fun....then I had another call where they told me to press 1 and then leave my name a number. I left chuck schumers name and office phone number.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to texastown
said by thetick:

I like to fight fire with more fire.

I like to pickup and say, "Wow you have a sexy voice. I'm naked right and could you please talk a little slower." If the caller sticks around I really get vulgar , fake masturbation etc. I always get a click and rarely get a call back. It works about every time with no call backs.

excellent!!!!

said by HardwareGeek:

The other day someone called me asking for a Barbra. I told them I chopped her up and had her in the freezer. If they could keep my secret. The guy said sure mother f**ker and told me he kills cats for fun....then I had another call where they told me to press 1 and then leave my name a number. I left chuck schumers name and office phone number.

LOL, have to remember that one.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to texastown
I've been on Do Not Call for several years and even renewed that service a couple months ago.

That doesn't seem to stop the calls, mostly from builders wanting to remodel my house. Generally I let the answering machine take the call, where no message is left, but once in a while I'll pick up the phone and immediately tell the caller we're on the don't call list, don't call again and if you do we'll report you.

The Robocalls are usually political in nature and, of course, not subject to the Do Not CAll rules anyway.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to texastown
said by texastown:

Recently, the number of robocalls coming thru our FIOS phone lines is crazy. Maybe 10 a day. We've registered with Do Not Call, it's useless. We don't answer, they keep calling.

I would like to know who to contact with Verizon to request a block on these types of calls. I've seen it mentioned that the phone companies sell our numbers and I would like ours removed/blocked.

I have two Land Lines, one Verizon and one VoIP Ooma. I use Caller ID and Blocking, and it has cut these Spam Calls way down. Blocking with the Ooma Line is unlimited, and I almost get Zero Spam Calls on it. Answering only the Calls you recognize, and letting the rest go to Voice Mail cuts the Spam Calls.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to texastown
There is really no way to stop these scammers. Invariably they are offshore operations who contract with service providers who have access to the SS7 network so that they can spoof the DN displayed on CID. They could care less about the DNC registry. The FTC has almost no power to inforce the registry. The only possible hope is through additional enforcement legislation but the telemarketing lobby owns too many congressmen for that to happen.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
verizon.com/privacy

you can opt out of their marketing there.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to texastown
said by texastown:

Anyone know who to contact?

The government's Do Not Call list (law) was passed by politicians who, being the despicable scumbag hypocrates they are, exempted themselves from the list's scope.

We've had an unlisted phone number for 25 years, and registered for the no-call list the first year it came out. Consequently, we get essentially zero telemarketer calls. BUT, during election season we're swamped with political robocalls. We got FOUR of them this Saturday alone.

Our solution-- I have a WAV file of the 3 SIT tones. (you can get the WAV from here: »www.yourhomenow.com/sit.html ) Any time we don't recongize the caller ID on an inbound call (anonymous, obviously faked, or clearly polticial in nature), I pick up the phone and immediately play the tones into the mouthpiece, then wait a few seconds before saying Hello. Almost 100% of the time, you can hear the robo-dialer hang up immediately after hearing the tones.

I've done this for several years now and have noticed that after the first couple of weeks of each "political season" there's a dramatic reduction in call volume as the season progresses. I'm guessing it's because we're auto-removed from lists, one by one, every time a robo-dialer gets the tones. The more lists we're removed from, the fewer calls we get.

We used to keep a list of which politicians robo-called us, and specifically refused to vote for them even if we would have, had they not robo-dialed us.

We "punished" their robocall activity by not giving them our vote on election day.

texastown

Plano, TX
reply to hubrisnxs
hubrisnxs, thank you for the link. I sent an email to Verizon's Privacy Office, a link I found at that address and received a note today that they will remove my number from all their marketing. I realize this may not fix the scammers, but not having our number sold anymore is good.

Appreciate your help.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
You know, ever since I told the telemarketer that called me, that Barbra the person he was calling for was chopped up and in my fridge I haven't gotten a call from them. *Fingers crossed*
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292