Search similar:

uniqs

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Samsung 830 SSD will not show up in the bios.

I just got a brand new Samsung 830 128GB SSD drive to replace and old 5200RPM drive. I installed the SSD in my EeeBox PC EB1021 computer and the bios will not detect the drive at all. I pulled it out and put it back in again just to make sure its in correctly and still will not show up in the bios.

So I put my old 5200RPM hard drive back in and that shows up in the bios just fine like always.

If the bios does not see the SSD then that mean there would be no way for Windows 7 to see it either during install correct?

So does anyone know if there is a compatibility issue with the Samsung 830 128GB SSD and Asus computers?

Here is the drive
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _product

And here is my computer
»usa.asus.com/Eee/EeeBox_ ··· ications

It looks like I am going to have to return it

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

Load the Samsung SSD Magician on your current drive and put the drive in as the secondary drive. See if the SSD Magician can find the drive. Follow the instructions that came with the drive. Use the SSD Magician to optimize the OS. You may also need to update the firmware, it is an SSD Magician menu pick. There is clone a menu pick to clone your current drive. I have two of these drives that I am using with an ASUS P6T motherboard. Make sure you setup the BIOS correctly, ACHI etc.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by Hank:

Load the Samsung SSD Magician on your current drive and put the drive in as the secondary drive. See if the SSD Magician can find the drive. Follow the instructions that came with the drive. Use the SSD Magician to optimize the OS. You may also need to update the firmware, it is an SSD Magician menu pick. There is clone a menu pick to clone your current drive. I have two of these drives that I am using with an ASUS P6T motherboard. Make sure you setup the BIOS correctly, ACHI etc.

This computer does not have a secondary drive.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I know it currently does not have a secondary drive. Are you saying that you do not have another SATA port so you can install the drive as a secondary??

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by Hank:

I know it currently does not have a secondary drive. Are you saying that you do not have another SATA port so you can install the drive as a secondary??

Yes there is only room for one hard drive.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

Did you setup the BIOS according to the Samsung instructions? I do not know how your original drive was setup in BIOS, but you will need to turn on AHCI for SSD drive. Not sure if your PC has a CD drive or not, if it does place the SSD Magician disk in that drive with the SSD installed. See if you can boot from the CD.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

This is becoming my worst nightmare!

Now because of of having remove the bottom stand over and over because its on top of where the hard drive goes I have now stripped the screw or something. The whole screw turns but it will not come out.

So now not only do have have a brand new SSD that does not work its now stuck in the computer because I can not get the stand off.

I should have just kept my old slow hard drive.

This is making me sick.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Anyone know how to remove a screw that will turn but not come out?

Would a hardware store be able to get it out?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

1 edit

Hank to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
Sorry to hear that, I know how that can upset one. Stripped screws can sometimes be removed by wedging a thin object under the edge of the screw and the surrounding surface. If you cannot wedge something under the head try placing just a bit of downward pressure on the stand as you turn the screw. I looked at your PC assemble manual and you may have just crossed the threads on the screw. If so you can probably pick up a replacement at your local hardware, I know Ace carries several standard and metric replacement screws. Just relax and take your time, you'll get everything back to normal.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by Hank:

Sorry to hear that, I know how that can upset one. Stripped screws can sometimes be removed by wedging a thin object under the edge of the screw and the surrounding surface. If you cannot wedge something under the head try placing just a bit of downward pressure on the stand as you turn the screw. I looked at your PC assemble manual and you may have just crossed the threads on the screw. If so you can probably pick up a replacement at your local hardware, I know Ace carries several standard and metric replacement screws. Just relax and take your time, you'll get everything back to normal.

I hope so and thanks for the help and good thoughts
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
I just hope I can get the hard drive out pretty quick because it looks like will have to return it to Amazon for a refund

This is my first ever SSD drive and I am not off to a good start.
gate1975mlm

2 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Another strange thing I noticed about the bios apparently there are no settings for the hard drive. I mean even with my old 5400RPM drive installed there are no settings for IDE or SATA.

So even if I did get the SSD to show up in the bios it looks like there would be no way to change it to ACHI which from what I understand is highly recommended.

Man I am getting so frustrated.

Looks like I will just get someone to get the screw out and then return the hard drive and be done with it.

Very disappointed

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Gotta love proprietary shitty BIOS. That's why i build my PCs.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Gotta love proprietary shitty BIOS. That's why i build my PCs.

Betcha don't build too many in a 1" x 8" x 7" case.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

Well I have tried for hours and hours and could not get the screw out no matter how hard I tried I must be very weak or something. Anyway I was able to get someone else to get the screw out and the stand off It seems the thing that holds the screw in broke and fell off. So now even if I get a new screw it will not lock in. O well it could always be worse and I could have broken the whole computer lol

So I will ship back the SSD drive and will just use the computer as it was before and just deal with the slow 5400RPM drive.

Next time I will just have a computer built with a SSD included cause upgrading thing myself can sure be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Take Care

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Don't do that either.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
That is indeed unfortunate. How was the base mount fastened to the PC?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
If it's the same as the base on my eeebox, and it looks like it is, then the 'screw' is captive in the base (turns freely) and fits into a threaded 'nut' on the case of the computer. I'm not sure whether the 'nut' is integral to the plastic case or a separate metal part, and it would take too much disassembly of my entertainment centre to check... sorry.

(If part of the plastic, it may well be stripped; if metal, it could be loose and thus fixable with a dab of epoxy).

It appears to me that if you can 'pull' the plastic part of the base aware from the computer while simultaneously unscrewing the screw (this'll probably need a second pair of hands) then you might be able to get sufficient friction to unscrew it.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
As small as the case is do you really need to screw it in? you could probably leave it loose, or tape it or zip tie into place.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

Too late... it's stuck in the screwed-in position, his problem is removing it.

EDITED: Beg pardon, I missed the update where he said he managed to remove it.