Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

Re: Garage addition

GC just called. The new engineer is making a site visit this week-end but based on the drawings he said "WTF!". The GC hasn't gotten the insurance info from the last engineer so we suspect he lied about having it. We have a copy of the current engineers E&O policy and this new engineer provided some drawings from another site where they did the same thing only with a 12' drop where ours is only 9.6' so we know the costs on the 12' other foundation. That really did have poor soil and even then it was $20,000. The new engineer sees no reason why this foundation shouldn't be $12,000-15,000 even with bad soil. I won't hold my breath until we have stamped drawings but it sounds like we'll be moving again in another week.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

After this is all done I'd definitely file a formal complaint with the Engineering Board. They need to get that clown in line with professional standards and practices.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by garys_2k:

After this is all done I'd definitely file a formal complaint with the Engineering Board. They need to get that clown in line with professional standards and practices.

Standard Disclaimers Apply:

@garys_@k We are hearing one side of a story (the GC's) as interpreted through a layman (the OP). You shouldn't be calling any licensed practitioner "a clown" unless you know ALL the facts.

@ Draiman See Profile N/M I'm going to have to go line by line with your last post.

--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

GC just called. The new engineer is making a site visit this week-end but based on the drawings he said "WTF!".

The GC hasn't gotten the insurance info from the last engineer so we suspect he lied about having it. We have a copy of the current engineers E&O policy

good

said by Draiman:

and this new engineer provided some drawings from another site where they did the same thing only with a 12' drop where ours is only 9.6' so we know the costs on the 12' other foundation. That really did have poor soil and even then it was $20,000.

Every foundation design is site specific. You cannot cookie cutter one design and fit it everywhere.

said by Draiman:

The new engineer sees no reason why this foundation shouldn't be $12,000-15,000 even with bad soil. I won't hold my breath until we have stamped drawings

Is this total, or over the original estimate, that should have included the cost per the original foundation and earthwork.

said by Draiman:

but it sounds like we'll be moving again in another week.

EXCELLENT
--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AVD:

said by Draiman:

The new engineer sees no reason why this foundation shouldn't be $12,000-15,000 even with bad soil. I won't hold my breath until we have stamped drawings

Is this total, or over the original estimate, that should have included the cost per the original foundation and earthwork.

That's the entire foundation. Last engineer $35,000 and new engineer $15,000. We have $14,000 budgeted for the foundation in the project. Going $1,000 over budget isn't terrible if it goes up to $15,000 but the first guy put us $21,000 over and that was insane!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by garys_2k:

Standard Disclaimers Apply:

@garys_@k We are hearing one side of a story (the GC's) as interpreted through a layman (the OP). You shouldn't be calling any licensed practitioner "a clown" unless you know ALL the facts.

So, let's not post anything until we hear from all parties? We just have to assume, since this discussion is about a haloed Professional Engineer than we withold all comments on the assumption that the GC is giving us one side of the story (yeah, like he made up the need for a 96" foundation FOR A FREAKIN' GARAGE) interpreted through a lowly layman.

No doubt in this PE's mind, that guy messed up. He really should wear greasepaint and a big red, rubber nose to the office -- it fits.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by garys_2k:

No doubt in this PE's mind, that guy messed up. He really should wear greasepaint and a big red, rubber nose to the office -- it fits.

there has to be more to this story.
--