spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Service Upgrade Not Noticed

I recently increased my service from 12Mbps to 25Mbps download speed. I have an SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a Netgear Wireless-N router. My cable modem connection is a direct line, no splitters. I have noticed no increase in speeds; I did it mostly because I work from home and usually have many windows and apps open at any given time, and thought it might make it better. Is this normal, or do I need to tweak anything?

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

Go to www.speedtest.net and see what speed it says if you are not getting the 25 down then call MC and have them take a look at it.

Also a good trouble shooting step is to turn off your computer pull the power on the modem and router then start the modem wait for the lights to stop blinking then start the router then your computer and run a speed test.

Atl31

@metrocast.net
reply to Atl31

Updated: The following applies:

Downstream
Channel ID: 85 86 87 88
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37dB 38dB 37dB 37dB
Power: 11 dBmV 12 dBmV 9 dBmV 9 dBmV

Upstream
Power Level: 37dBmV

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

I'm in NH and getting this:
»speedtest.net/result/2075555822.png

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to Atl31

Atl31 I am not a tech so those numbers mean nothing to me did you do a speed test can you tell us what it is.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Atl31

said by Atl31 :

Updated: The following applies:

Downstream
Channel ID: 85 86 87 88
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37dB 38dB 37dB 37dB
Power: 11 dBmV 12 dBmV 9 dBmV 9 dBmV

Upstream
Power Level: 37dBmV

The downstream power level seems very close to the maximum. I could be wrong though.

»www.consumedconsumer.org/2012/01···html?m=1
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
reply to Atl31

Hi Atl31,

I have the same package as you, and your bandwidth numbers should look something like this:

You can use these test sites below in addition to Speedtest.net:

»speedtest.metrocast.net
»speedcheck.metrocast.net

Post your results if you can?

Atl31

@metrocast.net
reply to billh491

Download: 26Mbps
Upload: 2.44Mbps
Ping: 15ms

The results are like this consistently. However, many pages take awhile to load. Navigating to sites, start as blank pages, then eventually load, streaming at times can interrupt. All my lines are new (RG-6), DOCSIS 3.0 modem, Wireless N router, (I tried connecting direct to modem, same). Just seems that it was better response with 12Mbps service.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to Atl31

Some ideas are to use Google chrome

Take a look at using a different DNS server

Buy an SSD drive and do a fresh install of Windows on it. (I am doing this on my daughters laptop this week)

Do a fresh install of Windows as some one that does that for a living I can you there are plenty of computers out there that are a few years old that could use a fresh install of windows and a level 4 run of Spinrite to breath life back in to them. (doing it right now on an Insprion 6000 laptop) And even while it downloads 308.8 megs form windows update I am surfing with no issues.

Adding some memory can help if you are under a gig on XP or under 2 on Vista or 7.

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Laptop is a year old. Recently re-loaded Windows (I do that periodically anyway). It have 8+GB memory. I do all the necessary maintenance and boot up only what is necessary. I may try open or Google DNS. Could also be an issue on MetroCast end as well.

NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

I'm thinking it's DNS related from what you described. Personally I use any of the following Open DNS servers:

I'd also recommend using this tool:

»www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

You'll get different results at peak and off-peak hours. Modify accordingly, and see if that makes a difference, also it could be your Netgear router (majority, if not all of them, "proxy" dns requests inside the router - essentially "caching" them for faster lookups...though personally I've never had good luck with this...try manually setting the DNS servers under your TCP/IP properties and see if that makes a difference?)

Keep us posted on what you find out (it also very well could be on Metrocast's end, but with speed results like that, I'd doubt it's related to a saturated node)

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to Atl31

Well it sounds like you keep the computer updated so the next thing I would do is the dns I use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 based on the test from GRC. I was using open dns for a while but like this one better.

I put it in the router so everyone gets it but you can put in in the network settings of one computer to try it out.

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Today seems better, though I don't know why. I didn't do anything different from yesterday to today; why I think it may be an ISP issue. Being that I work from home, have multiple machines running with several open windows at any one time, it is a good thing. I am looking into OpenDNS as an option. Thanks to all the replies, they are much appreciated!

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Today, extermely slow response. On one page, cick to go to another. The new page URL shows, but a blank screen, then the new page slowly loads.

Speedtest: 26.43 Download, 2.63 Upload
Pingtest: 0 Packet Loss, 29ms Ping, 4ms Jitter.

Has to be at Metrocast end.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

Has to be? Yet your speeds are 26.43 / 2.63?

What DNS servers you using?

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Open DNS.