spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ben Dover

@comcast.net

Oooooooh!

Thank God the telcos pushed through legislation preventing municipal broadband. With LTE and high-priced overages, they can bend us over and give us some good "luvin".

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

said by Ben Dover :

Thank God the telcos pushed through legislation preventing municipal broadband. With LTE and high-priced overages, they can bend us over and give us some good "luvin".

LTE= the new satellite did you hear?

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

Except the high satellite ping times, granted LTE will still have higher ping times than a landline would (and does) have. Not a fan of this solution though.
--
Change the scheme, alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

I think it is a good solution.
Fixed LTE-A wireless can go up to 1Gbps per spec.
Why invest in running wires to areas that have like 10 customers per sq mile when you can just put an antenna on their roof and be done with it? Fixed wireless is the best rural solution, it is cheaper all around for customers and ISPs.
Fixed wireless can have much better pings than copper.
It is based on the speed of electricity vs the speed of light vs the speed of radio waves. Now fiber based on the speed of light would be faster. Coax is around 70% the speed of light. Fixed wireless would be close to the speed of light and faster than coax.

The rule of thumb has always been, if you want broadband you dont live in a rural area.
If Fixed wireless is done right then I would have no problem getting it over copper AND the cost to implement and maintain is much, much lower so I SHOULD have a lower bill.

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service

You do make a good point, it just comes down to the implementation for one, price of service versus the level of service provided for two. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see how it plays out. Just in general I don't like having anything I can control otherwise over the air. I put in a good chunk of money retrofitting my home for wired ethernet and turned off my wireless.

As for ping times of LTE versus coax, in theory you are right. In practice I haven't seen any LTE phones (this may change for for fixed wireless service, just have to wait and see) in my area get under 100ms while the coax in the area varies anywhere from 30 to 140ms.

Off topic, isn't your Avatar one of those monsters from that older game Number Crunchers?
--
Change the scheme, alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

The rule of thumb has always been, if you want broadband you dont live in a rural area.

All of this has been debated in the 30s when rural electrification was proposed. The concept of a utility to promote commerce and national security was developed.
You do not know much about history,..

Cheeers

@bellsouth.net
reply to Oh_No

2nd rule of thumb, it won't be cheaper for the consumer. It will be a-la-cart data.

jaytingle

@mycingular.net
reply to public

Absolutely. The paradigm has shifted from public utility to mercenary racket. We are allowing a handful of aggressive corporations to put their interests ahead of the needs of every consumer and every other business and even national security. And these telecoms are virtually colluding: they each actively provide as little bandwidth as possible for as much money as possible. They have no motivation to build a network worthy of the economic potential of the US. In fact, they have a disincentive to provide high-level service.

Nasch

@midco.net
reply to Oh_No

The difference between 70% the speed of light and 100% over 1000 miles is .002 second, or 2 millisecond. So if you're 10 miles from the CO or switch or whatever, .02 millisecond. Somehow I don't think that's a very important factor.

just more bs

@140.108.1.x
reply to Oh_No

All satellite is ok if right environmental conditions exist.
If no trees grow, if no rain, clouds or mist.
All these communications giants want is to tell you it your problem.

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jaytingle

The Public Utilities Commissions have been neutered and if the Republicans win their biggest gripe is regulation. They want less because the market will take care of any problems.

I could go for the fixed LTE if the price and caps were equal to DSL. I saw a post the other day where a guy said it was sad his LTE smartphone gave him 4Xs better speed then his hardwired internet connection. I am not sure if he is on cable or DSL. His problem is he uses at least 500GB of data on his hardwired if he is having a very slow month.

techguyga
Premium
join:2003-12-31
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No :
It is based on the speed of electricity vs the speed of light vs the speed of radio waves. Now fiber based on the speed of light would be faster. Coax is around 70% the speed of light. Fixed wireless would be close to the speed of light and faster than coax.
Sorry, but this made me laugh. I hope you're not being serious. :-/

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to public

said by public:

said by Oh_No:

All of this has been debated in the 30s when rural electrification was proposed. The concept of a utility to promote commerce and national security was developed.
You do not know much about history,..

Data is not considered a utility due to heavy lobbying.
I guess you do not know much about history...

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to techguyga

said by techguyga:

said by Oh_No :
Sorry, but this made me laugh. I hope you're not being serious. :-/

Why would you laugh with facts?
The speed of particles passing through a certain media varies.
You can even slow down light through certain media if you want to, I think I just blew your mind.

Here is a quick wiki for those that need to open their eyes to reality: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

I was pointing out that LTE is not having higher ping times due to being wireless vs. a wired landline.
Just looking at the conductor, wireless will have lower ping times than any coax connection.

If someone is having higher latency on LTE wireless over coax line then it is purely from crappy equipment not because it is wireless.

You=pwned

techguyga
Premium
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The speed of light/electricity/radio is all the same in a vacuum. Air is a neutral medium and does not significantly affect radio or light energy as it passes through.

In your example, you said that "coax is around 70% the speed of light." Simply not true. The Wikipedia article you referenced sites an article between 2 hacks that are discussing attenuation and signal loss. It has nothing to do with how fast the signal passes across the medium. Energy passing across the medium will only be slowed by the other equipment that it passes through, such as transmitters, repeaters, receivers, etc. The same holds true for radio waves.

Light, however, passing through optical media travels about 35% slower than the speed of light, depending on the refractive index of the media. Again, this is not significant, but it renders your statement incorrect, hence my chuckle.

Check your facts.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.
$45 per hour if you want to watch.
$55 per hour if you want to help.
$100 per hour if you already tried to fix it.

techguyga
Premium
Cumming, GA

Oh, and I missed the you=pwned bit the first time I read your reply.

Thanks for another laugh. That's so 2000's. Hahaha!

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL

You are such a sad person.
You even said I was right by saying how light is slowed in fiber medium.
So sad.
I guess you pwned yourself?

techguyga
Premium
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I'm not sad at all. If you check my bio, you'll see that I am in the business of getting data from one place to the next, and I've been doing it for a LONG time. I just think it laughable that in your previous statement that you think that fiber is the fastest, followed by wireless, followed by coax.

I'm also not in the business of name calling, but in the spirit of your posts...

You=immature and childish
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.
$45 per hour if you want to watch.
$55 per hour if you want to help.
$100 per hour if you already tried to fix it.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL

Electricity flows at different speeds through different media, like I said.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to techguyga

Aside from your negativity and unwillingness to go by reality.

I guess in all your years of wisdom you never ordered cable before and have no idea what a velocity factor is.

»www.nr6ca.org/vf.html
Some can be as low as 66% of the speed of light and some as high as 88%

pwned again.
Check your facts please.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to techguyga

Got nothing to say now when I through the facts at you?

AdmrlCrow

@vzbi.com
reply to Oh_No

FYI slow pings (latency) are a function of network congestion and not electromagnetic wave in a medium (electricity on copper, radio on ether, photons in glass).

Regardless of access method, LTE or Copper or Fiber, the quality of end to end latency can be affected anywhere in the network. Quality of the wired/switching network is a huge factor. Therefore, quality of service for LTE really would depend on over subscription. If they get a 1GB connection to the cell tower and then put 4 subscribers in a rural area, vs 400 subscribers on one cell tower in a more densely poulated area. People are going to have very different type of connectivity experiences.

Will you have a lower bill? for LTE just look at the wireless phone price structure to get an indication. Just because you live in a rural area, does not mean you get a better plan.