Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I still keep a landline

I prefer to have a landline as I have a home security system and I like having enhanced 911 capability (where the 911 dispatcher can see the exact address of the 911 call as opposed to a general location, especially in a duplex where they can see what side of the duplex the call is originating from). I also like having a landline as you are much less likely to have a call drop, especially when calling an 800 number that makes you push the "0" key 95 times to get put in queue for an operator and then you wait on hold for about 5 hours before getting a live operator. I have had calls on cell phones that have dropped when calling an 800 number and you have to call back and you get someone else and you have to explain the situation all over again.

If Verizon really wanted to rid itself of union labor, they would use contractors to do outside plant work (like Comcast does all the time with installs). But considering they don't outsource all their techs, it seems to be a non-issue for them.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

I ditched the phone line-- it was cheaper for me to have the alarm company install a radio. They now are notified of an alarm wirelessly. The best part is cutting the phone and cable lines and turning off the power doesn't mean jack---- the alarm will nail them anyway.

I still have a VOIP line and a Cell. It's enough.

justwow
@comcast.net

justwow

Anon

Really?? You really think someone's going to cut your phone, cable, and power lines to rob your house? Sheesh, people really DO need to turn off the TV. My alarm system consists of my dog and a few firearms. I guess I'm just not as important as you...
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Apparently you don't understand how criminals have attempted to break into homes. That's why line monitoring is included in alarm panels.. because, you know, people cut phone and cable lines.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

2 recommendations

moonpuppy (banned) to justwow

to justwow
said by justwow :

Really?? You really think someone's going to cut your phone, cable, and power lines to rob your house? Sheesh, people really DO need to turn off the TV. My alarm system consists of my dog and a few firearms. I guess I'm just not as important as you...

Your firearms do you no good when you are not home and your dog is easily distracted with a couple of hot dogs.

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle

Anon

Having an alarm system does little or no good when the police won't respond because they are too busy responding to shootings ,robberies, muggings, rapes and more generalized "revenue enhancement" duties. It's better than nothing but an alarm system is as good as the response time of the police and the alarm company and in bankrupt states like California its getting pretty dismal.

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2 to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
my alarm works just fine with no landline. the alarm system can see me and I can see them. ADT Wireless System. secure wireless connection to their center to my house. No need for any landlines, or anything.

And the Union is a huge problem for VZ and they know it. Why do you think CellCo is non union?

belawrence
They'll never let you in
join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA
ARRIS WBM760
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

belawrence to Twaddle

to Twaddle
I'm in SoCal - typical alarm response at my home by the Sheriff's department is 5 to 10 minutes - a house guest set it off once and didn't have the password when the monitoring center called and I had to rush home so the deputy would "unhook" my guest. The other time I purposely set off the panic alarm due to an unexpected visit from my ex - we are not on friendly terms.
said by Twaddle :

Having an alarm system does little or no good when the police won't respond because they are too busy responding to shootings ,robberies, muggings, rapes and more generalized "revenue enhancement" duties.

Wow! Where do you live!!!???
Expand your moderator at work