uniqs
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to battleop

to battleop

Re: Simple Solution to SA Residents..

said by battleop:

Decades. I was in an AT&T tandem a few months ago and they had rows of gear in the CLEC colo area that was powered up doing nothing. According to one of the AT&T techs I know that gear has not been used since the mid 90s. I asked why it was still running and he said that no one has ever issued a ticket to remove or power down the gear so it wasn't anything he was going to worry about.

...what a waist of money AT&T prob has many like that they dont even care about the old equipment they just wright it off some where down the line and let it sit in buildings.. runing and not doing anythin a bit of good

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

You can thank the CWA for the "That's not my job" mentality. That's how it's looked at. If no one creates a ticket then they are not ging to bother with it. In all likelyhood the group responsible for that equipment probably does not exist anymore so there is no one to issue a ticket to remove it and the CO techs and managers are not going to bring it up because that is just extra work for them. The power to run it is not money out of their pocket so they don't care.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

No, this has nothing to do with the Union. That equipment is a liability suit waiting to happen if someone removes it without it being fully researched and properly decommissioned. This isn't your home office; you can't just walk in and turn the power off.

If AT&T wanted that tech gone, it would be gone. Trust me. Our CO is almost empty now, compared to what it was before. Why? Because obsolete and unused tech was removed. Some still sits on racks in the back, long-since powered down (and with the decommission stickers to prove it), but they don't remove it because, quite simply, the space is not needed. The digital equipment takes up so much less space than the old stuff that it's not even funny.

CWA
@wayport.net

CWA to battleop

Anon

to battleop
said by battleop:

You can thank the CWA for the "That's not my job" mentality.

???

This would be a management problem. Nothing at all to do with the CWA.