spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

It Doesn't Make Sense

Unless cable makes the caps so punitive in nature, moreso than they are, Verizon isn't going to get people to switch to a fixed LTE product. I don't get how they benefit, unless there's some really awful collusion in place for VZ to get a kickback for every triple play sign-up.

As for the drive to kill unions in this country, that is systemic of almost all businesses and certainly of both political parties.

I also think it's a higher percentage than 35-45% of VZ's footprint that isn't going to be able to get FiOS. Granted, they've already sold off a lot, and I'm sure they'd like to sell more if they can find someone dumb enough to buy the rural parts of MD, PA, NY and VA.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by Os:

Unless cable makes the caps so punitive in nature, moreso than they are, Verizon isn't going to get people to switch to a fixed LTE product. I don't get how they benefit ...

It could be that landline maintenance is so costly that even if no users switch to LTE, Verizon still saves money.
Os
US

Os

Right, but how can LTE be profitable if nobody's using it?

$50 for 2GB of internet is just never going to be a price people are willing to pay unless they have no other choice.

Unless there's some tacit agreement to bring that pricing to cable, it's just never going to work for Verizon. And if that pricing comes to cable, we're honestly headed for economic gridlock and revolution.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to Os

to Os
I think LTE to rural is more their excuse to kill DSL, they don't seem to really care if rural users go to cable, as long as they can get out of maintaining copper.

But it seems short sighted to me to abandon 35 - 45% of your footprint, but most companies as short sighted these days as they follow the investors lead and desire short term profits. It's the same reason they killed the FIOS buildout.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to Os

to Os
I think there are people who will pay that. It's less expensive than cable internet.
Os
US

Os

Not when you factor in overage fees.

Even Grandma looking at e-mails is going over 2GB.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

No, she isn't.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to Os

to Os
That's what Verizon wants, they want users to either leave or if they can't to pay through the nose.
VZLine
join:2007-07-25
Coram, NY

VZLine to pnh102

to pnh102
The problem no one seems to be talking about is that ALL data runs over the "landline" network anyhow.

It still has to be maintained, maybe they they eliminate some smaller copper lines, but nearly every main cable that I know of in downstate New York at least, has a bunch of t-1 or t-3 lines in it which are feeds to cell towers and other network infrastructure.
A lot of the traffic is indeed fiber, but not all... including traffic between central offices.

Verizon had better upgrade in the neighborhood of billions of dollars if they want to upgrade all of the infrastructure to the point where it is all on Fiber.. otherwise, in theory, if they were to shut down the copper plant tomorrow the network capacity for Verizon Wireless ( Sprint, At&t, Nextel whatever ) would instantly be scaled back by 30 to 40%. Something akin to the days after the northeast blackout.

Sure, the plan isn't to shut it all off overnight... but the money isn't being spent on the infrastructure right now... so overnight or over years.. if it isn't being built up, the capacity will not be there.

It is a shortsighted tactic which is being made by people they don't really understand just how much of the network works.

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2

Anon

backhaul is easier to maintain than millions of miles in neighborhoods that are older than dirt in areas.

They can pull a lot of those t1s and t3s out and do microwave and run fiber- and in many cases- those towers are already done with fiber and microwave due to the needed bandwidth for LTE.

And you do realize in areas that VZ is NOT the ILEC they use the local ILEC or the cable company to bring in fiber right?
NWOhio2

NWOhio2 to MovieLover76

Anon

to MovieLover76
from a cost standpoint it is better to get rid of the copper, and in those areas out in the middle of nowhere- why not replace it with a new next gen wireless network? cheaper to maintain and if they really wanted- they could increase those caps- Clear is unlimited (within reason).

I've also been saying for years that they'll start getting rid of their wireline foot prints - this is just proof. Now you all that doubted me can eat it up. CentLink and the others would be smart to do the same.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Os

Premium Member

to Os
Rural America has been paying $50 for 2G for a long time. It is no shock.

R U Kidding
@140.108.1.x

R U Kidding to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
Maint? Really? They dont do that unless they absolutly have too