share rss forum feed

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4

Fallout 3 and New Vegas Crashing

I hate this shit, cause I hate computers. This is why I buy games on consoles. I don't know how to fix this nit picky bullshit.

Both games are through Steam and both crash upon starting a new game. No error. Just closes unexpectedly. I went on line and tried a couple of fixes for Fallout 3 (downloaded d3d9.dll and put it in the folder, as well as told it to run on Windows Vista), but what I'm thinking is that I have an integrated video card and that will never allow me to play games like this. Don't understand why D3 works fine and this won't. Oh well, if this is the case I just wasted $15 on both games. Guess the PC gaming will have to just be for older non graphic heavy games, and I'll go back to consoles.

Have an ASUS U52F laptop, following specs:

Processor Name Intel Core i5-460M
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Speed 2.53 GHz
RAM 4 GB
Weight 5.9 lb
Screen Size 15.3 inches
Screen Size Type Widescreen
Graphics Card Intel GMA HD
Storage Capacity (as Tested) 640 GB
Rotation Speed 5400 rpm
Networking Options 802.11n
Primary Optical Drive Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
Battery Type 63 Whr (Watt hours)

If anyone knows a work around or way to fix this, I'm all ears.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

Dumb question: have you updated the driver for the integrated video card? Some of the best fixes for PCs are the stupid ones.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Re: Fallout 3 and New Vegas

I'll try that. About to restart. The same thing just happened with Super Meat Boy.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Kristopher

Re: Fallout 3 and New Vegas Crashing

Strangely enough... I started having this problem on my F3/F3:NV games bought on Steam as well... I chalked it up to replacing a bunch of parts without re-installing Windows.

I deleted both games and I'm going to re-install them next week sometime. I'll make sure I post to let you know if it fixes the issue.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Thanks, I appreciate it. My brother is better with computers than I am, and while I try not to bug him and do things on my own (I know how anyone in the computer field hates that), this is a card I need to pull. I was really looking forward to playing through both of these, and starting today. Oh well. Downloading Dungeon Defenders now,and hoping L4D2 works on here............
--

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

Get a Desktop!

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

Oh well. Downloading Dungeon Defenders now,and hoping L4D2 works on here............

I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with those, F3, and F:NV were buggy to say the least.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to I AM

New Vegas works fine. I just started a game and was playing for a while. Not understanding this........
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Bah. Changed the compatability mode in properties to have it load on Vista (no luck), and XP (still no luck). Guess I'm playing New Vegas first until I get it figured out.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Take it to Arch.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Kristopher

You're trying to run F3 on integrated graphics? Good luck, bro...

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

I can run D3 and Fallout NV. I don't understand......

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

D3 is about the furthest from a demanding game you can get, although I don't know why NV would run by F3 wouldn't. Perhaps NV was further optimized? I dunno...
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

The way I figure it, I'll be able to play F3 when I get my next laptop. I have enough games now to keep me occupied for the next 5-6 years.
--

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
reply to Krisnatharok

Fallout 3 is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, integrated graphics will run it fine in some capacity, Diablo III is the same way.

Anyway, don't have a solution for you as I have never had this particular problem aside from when I'd have it loaded with mods. If it crashes when trying to start a new game, perhaps see if you can find a save file and load it without crashing. If it loads and runs then I have no idea what the problem could be.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

I'll give it a shot. Uninstalling and reinstalling it might help as well, since I messed around with it already. I've put it on the back burner for now, thought. Thanks for the information.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I don't know why NV would run by F3 wouldn't. Perhaps NV was further optimized? I dunno...

I'd theorize they tweaked the engine somewhat. NV is still buggy, but there's less of the same (when it comes to buggy-ness.
--

theraven146

join:2012-07-25
reply to Kristopher

Probably one reason why you may not favor a computer for your gaming purpose may be the fact that you are using a laptop. A laptop is a laptop, it may not be the apt choice for gaming although there are exclusive gaming laptops.

A desktop computer could be the perfect choice. Believe me, you do not have to be very gentle with the device.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Performance has nothing to do with whether the computer in question is a laptop or desktop. Desktops with iGPUs will suck just as much as one with as a first-gen i5-460M with an iGPU.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.