join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

Re: What's the Problem?

said by elefante72:

As for Internet, without it it is the same as not having running water or sewage.

Dumb analogy. Nobody ever got dysentery from a lack of internet access.

People in rural areas pay money to maintain wells and septic tanks. Strange how nobody advocates subsidizing those but a good number of people around here think that rural internet access should be subsidized.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

said by Crookshanks:

said by elefante72:

As for Internet, without it it is the same as not having running water or sewage.

Dumb analogy. Nobody ever got dysentery from a lack of internet access.

People in rural areas pay money to maintain wells and septic tanks. Strange how nobody advocates subsidizing those but a good number of people around here think that rural internet access should be subsidized.

Maybe because of the name of the site being DSLreports and not wellsndsepticreports.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Crookshanks

Maybe not but people DIE.

My wife is a physician. One night in the hospital an emergency occurred and the radiologist was not available. They sent the xrays over to Australia via the "optional" internet, and he caught a lung issue, otherwise the person would have died. This was in "rural" upstate NY with a town of 200,000 people.

And I pay a sewer tax, which gets me my effluence flushed. I guess that is a subsidy you are talking about. And I pay a water utility tax to get me water, along w/ consumption fee. I pay a library tax, I pay a highway tax, I pay a medicare tax, I pay for 20% of the people in my county to work for the government.

For rural areas, having access to these types of services help save lives and bring services that make everyone's lives better than ever before. The list goes on, and the benefits to internet access are infinite. Look up robotic/remote doctors. You need an internet for this.

I spend a good chunk my free time working w/ small business and communities to get proper internet access. You would be ashamed to know how bad it is out there. A small business (3 people) I was working with, TWC wanted $90/month for 3Mbs/384k and another $120 a month for basic dialtone (2 lines). Sounds like a deal.

As to subsidies, if we took the USF and put it into fibre, we could have already wired America with fibre.

I heard from inside sources that a POP now averages $300 per house to wire w/ a GPON. A family of 4 could pay that to Verizon every month. I will concede in rural areas it would cost more, however w/ Corning Clearcurve the installation costs have gone dramatically down and the ease of installation up so that any guy that is handy could wire (not terminate yet).

I had to pay $4k to get electricity ran to my house when it was built and I live in the cushy burbs.

Priorities....

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to Crookshanks

I'll have you,I get to pay Maryland 60.00 dollar's a year to put my poo in their dirt.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

I heard from inside sources that a POP now averages $300 per house to wire w/ a GPON. A family of 4 could pay that to Verizon every month. I will concede in rural areas it would cost more, however w/ Corning Clearcurve the installation costs have gone dramatically down and the ease of installation up so that any guy that is handy could wire (not terminate yet).

If that's the case, then there would be a flurry of over-builders springing up in every community.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

My wife is a physician. One night in the hospital an emergency occurred and the radiologist was not available. They sent the xrays over to Australia via the "optional" internet, and he caught a lung issue, otherwise the person would have died.

Which has exactly nothing at all to do with residential internet access. BTW, I'm familiar with the rural healthcare program through USAC; my employer receives funding for our internet access through it. It has been a godsend to us; but it still has nothing at all to do with residential internet access.

said by elefante72:

And I pay a sewer tax, which gets me my effluence flushed. I guess that is a subsidy you are talking about. And I pay a water utility tax to get me water, along w/ consumption fee. I pay a library tax, I pay a highway tax, I pay a medicare tax, I pay for 20% of the people in my county to work for the government.

Right, you pay for it. You do not expect me to pay for it. Nor do I expect you to pay for the maintenance of my septic system because I choose to live somewhere without access to municipal sewer service.

said by elefante72:

I heard from inside sources that a POP now averages $300 per house to wire w/ a GPON. A family of 4 could pay that to Verizon every month.

Your family of four has a lot more money than my family of four....