join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

What a disaster this will be

FiOS isn't even rolled out to the entirety of the city of Los Angeles (let alone county).

LTE seems nice and fast now, but I just can't see it as a substitute for wireline broadband. LTE Advanced promises 1gbps speeds, but that's shared by all users on a tower. They seem to have enough trouble satisfying the needs of wireless mobile customers. Cue the music, Verizon will be crying that they need to buy up competitors for more spectrum.

No copper means no more CLECs, and essentially no more third party ISPs (except for a handful like Earthlink Cable that forced their way in through merger requirements). I get that DSL is lagging behind cable in terms of performance, but I would take unmetered ADSL2+ over low-limit LTE in a heartbeat.

This "future" is going to make cable a monopoly in the truest sense. There will be absolutely nothing to stop cable companies from charging similar per-GB rates that we see wireless carriers charging now, since that will be their only competitor.

Wake up, government. It's time to stop anti-competitive behavior by the phone company again.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

Here on long island in the town of brookhaven they are already a monopoly. Verizon stopped the roll out of Fios and in a lot of areas of town of brookhaven does not even offer dsl. So in the town of brookhaven on long island cablevision is already a monopoly.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

FiOS isn't even rolled out to the entirety of the city of Los Angeles (let alone county).

Wake up, government. It's time to stop anti-competitive behavior by the phone company again.

Most of Los Angeles city and county is franchised to AT&T, not Verizon. You wouldn't see Fios rolled out, ever. Verizon is not going to cross boundary lines, certainly not with 30% penetration in their own turf.

Conversely, you won't see AT&T offering U-Verse via any of Verizon's 50+ central offices.

The phone company's behavior isn't anti-competitive per-se. By offering lousy service, they are indeed, inspiring competition. Virtually everyone I know bailed on Verizon service in favor of cable triple-play, and all have the option of buying Fios.

Still, I wouldn't oppose using the FCC's power to make them reconsider their abandonment of the wired plant, the premium-only tiers, and the mandatory dialtone bundling. The FCC could re-open Verizon's forbearance petitions.