Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rnijmeh

join:2012-07-20
Scarborough, ON

How to tell if Rogers blocks my URL?

Hey folks,

So I know this sounds strange... and people have commented on the forum that Rogers doesn't block sites, but several of my customers have said to me that they cannot access my site and they are ALL on Rogers.

There's nothing scammy about my business, I've been online for 4+ years and this has only started in the last few months.

I'm on Bell and my site works fine and my customers across the globe haven't had any issues, it just seems to be Rogers customers.

The only thing I can think of is that the domain extension is .me - but it's hosted in the US.

How can I tell if Rogers is blocking my site?

Ron

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post my URL?

brookz

join:2003-06-26
Waterloo, ON

Post it so we can test (I'm on Rogers)

What happens when you do a trace route from one of your customer's to your site?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to rnijmeh

They're probably using Rogers' sh*tty DNS servers.

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON
reply to brookz

Here's the URL:
»www.plr.me

Thanks!

Ron

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to rnijmeh

Works fine for me!

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to rnijmeh

Now this is starting to look like a cheap advertising plug...

DS256
Premium
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON
reply to rnijmeh

Well, I use OpenDNS and it shows that www.plr.me resolves to 69.160.53.72 and that it is located in Los Angeles California. My local WHOis will not resolve .me domains so you could be on to something.

You peaked my curiousity so a quick google of ".me domain problems" returns a number of issues people are having.

Could also be something in their security software.

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON
reply to JAC70

JAC70: No! That's why I was hesitant to post a URL!

I know it seems like a promo -but let's be honest, 99% of people don't need what I sell, it's probably entirely irrelevant to you. And I'd be happy to remove the link - I don't really want the link up here anyhow!

I just want to know what I can do to "unblock" my site for these people.

Here's what another customer wrote to me again today:

"I have been trying to get on your web site for months now, but have not been able to do so. So I gave up today, and did a Who Is Look Up.

I am with Rogers.

No way to get to your site from any browser."
This isn't the first email I got, but it's frustrating since I can't say or do anything to fix the problem.

Any ideas?

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON
reply to DS256

Thanks DS256 for the quick investigative work! Odd it wouldn't resolve .me domains for you.

I did a search but couldn't find the issues you are referring to.

Any way you can help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Works fine here as well using Rogers DNS servers.

DS256
Premium
Markham, ON
reply to rnijmeh

I mentioned my WHOIS that only resolves the more standard extensions in case it was related.

Sorry, can't help unless there are more details on the blockage. What is the actual error?

I myself have no problems in getting to your URL using OpenDNS and Chrome.

DS256
Premium
Markham, ON

One last thought, give them your IP address rather than your URL and see if that works for them. It will bypass DNS lookup which may be the problem if Rogers DNS's don't have it.

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON

Good idea re: IP address DS256! Thanks!

There isn't an error, just a blank page/server not found kind of thing. As if the domain doesn't exist.

Anyone else have any ideas or tips?

scintilate

join:2012-07-10
London, ON
reply to brookz

I'm still with rogers and your site is blocked!

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON
reply to rnijmeh

Click for full size
My customer replied and said he can access the site by IP, but he gets an altavista page (above) when accessing via Rogers and the domain name.

I recommended he try OpenDNS, but there's a whole slew of people who probably can't access my site and DON'T tell me!

Any ideas? Any way I can make sure the few Rogers customers who can't get to my site, can?

DS256
Premium
Markham, ON

1. Provide a documented WHOIS on what your DNS entry looks like to customers who have the problem.

2. Find a friendly Rogers customer who has the problem to open a support call with Rogers complaining about not being able to get to your site.

3. I would also check with your DNS registrar about possible problems propagating your DNS through DNS Servers.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to rnijmeh

Could the problem be with your web host?

wilsonlam97

join:2010-12-08
Canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rnijmeh

Rogers did not block your site. Your customers do not have a functional computer thanks to their computer illiteracy.

They most likely have viruses. I find it extremely hard to find that Rogers is blocking anything other then torrents. Also they would never plug a altavista site. They have their own error portal for that.

The DNS your customers are using only resolves to common domain names because they most likely have a virus that has made these changes.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

I put down to continued problems with Rogers DNS rather than deliberate blocking of .me ... although Rogers has been known to not provide DNS resolution on some domains from places like Russia that were known sources of malware that were resulting in lots of grief. But in general, Rogers doesn't deliberately block much at all!

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to rnijmeh

Doesn't resolve for me (Rogers DNS). Does if I use Google's public DNS.

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON

said by Ian:

Doesn't resolve for me (Rogers DNS). Does if I use Google's public DNS.

Thanks for testing Ian! So what can I do to ensure Rogers DNS DOES resolve the site? Is there someone I can contact?

Ian
Premium
ON

said by rnijmeh:

Thanks for testing Ian! So what can I do to ensure Rogers DNS DOES resolve the site? Is there someone I can contact?

I would contact the host provider. I'm not an expert, but saw this before with someone else that had a new site hosted. I'd bet that the provider didn't publish the DNS information properly. But can't be certain. In any case, they could at least re-do it. Might take a day or so to propagate.

You can test whether a particular DNS server is resolving that correctly with NSLOOKUP in the windows command prompt. As in this example. Change the DNS server as needed. In this example 8.8.8.8 is Google public DNS, 64.71.255.198 is dns.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com as set by rogers in my modem/wireless router. Adjust with the server command to test others as needed.

--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to rnijmeh

How can it be a Rogers DNS problem if certain Rogers customers can access the site using the Rogers DNS. I have had no problem accessing the OP's site using the Rogers DNS, and a few others here have not reported problems either.

Ian
Premium
ON

said by yyzlhr :

How can it be a Rogers DNS problem if certain Rogers customers can access the site using the Rogers DNS. I have had no problem accessing the OP's site using the Rogers DNS, and a few others here have not reported problems either.

Care to show which Rogers DNS server resolves the site correctly?
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

rnijmeh

Scarborough, ON
reply to Ian

Thanks for the tip, Ian! I'm sending this thread to my web host to see what they can do.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by yyzlhr :

Ian
Premium
ON

1 edit

said by yyzlhr :

said by Ian:

said by yyzlhr :

Think a number may be off...Sure that's not an IP address for something internal to you, like a modem?

> 67.71.255.198
Server:  [8.8.4.4]
Address:  8.8.4.4

*** [8.8.4.4] can't find 67.71.255.198: Non-existent domain
>

--

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Oops made a typo. First digit should be 64.

Ian
Premium
ON

said by yyzlhr :

Oops made a typo. First digit should be 64.

Interesting. That's the same server I had tried before. Maybe the problem is intermittent and indeed internal to Rogers. Or it's been fixed.
--

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

It's been working for me since this thread started.