uniqs

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr

Re: How to tell if Rogers blocks my URL?

said by yyzlhr :

It's been working for me since this thread started.

As I showed in my screen-shot, that same server timed-out rather than respond. And that was done seconds before I posted it. Again, probably an intermittent issue.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to rnijmeh

to rnijmeh
Click for full size
Click for full size
Yep, something's off with Rogers's DNS server. BlockAid/OpenDNS resolves the server fine, but with Rogers, the request times out.
rnijmeh
join:2012-07-20
Scarborough, ON

rnijmeh

Thanks for all your help!

Okay so here's an update... got an email from a very technically savvy customer who was trying to reach my site several times, but it wouldn't work reliably.

He figured out that my secondary DNS has no record for my site - so if the primary DNS fails, there's no fall back.

So I sent this info to my we host and they added the 2nd DNS... it's propagated (this was done 3 days ago), so it *should* be working now.

Could anyone who's on Rogers (who couldn't access before) test it out again to see if the site shows up now (finally!)?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by rnijmeh:

Could anyone who's on Rogers (who couldn't access before) test it out again to see if the site shows up now (finally!)?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

> server 8.8.4.4
Default Server: [8.8.4.4]
Address: 8.8.4.4

> plr.me
Server: [8.8.4.4]
Address: 8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: plr.me
Address: 69.160.53.72

> server 64.71.255.198
Default Server: dns.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com
Address: 64.71.255.198

> plr.me
Server: dns.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com
Address: 64.71.255.198

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: plr.me
Address: 69.160.53.72

Seems to be working. Then again, it looked like it was intermittent before.

Gertie
@rogers.com

Gertie to rnijmeh

Anon

to rnijmeh
As near as I can tell, whenever I've had to research such issues for clients in the past - (site not coming up or outdated site showing after a server move) - with Rogers and Shaw notably, they appear to hang on to cached info longer than some ISPs. Some ISPs are quicker to dump and do fresh lookups - sometimes a long TTL is involved - i.e. your DNS record tells the ISP they can lookup less frequently because the info is to be considered stable. But there are other times, regardless of a lowered TTL (24hrs) that had been in place for 2-3 weeks prior to a move, I've had clients pulling up their old pages still 5-7 days after a DNS change (all cached info purged from browser). Any "web accelerator" services may also be caching the bad/outdated content.