WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

1 edit

WK2

Premium Member

[CDV] Buy own modem for voice

Since I just have TV and Voice I dont want to pay $7/month for a modem. I have been looking at the Arris TM602G.

Will Comcast active this? (I have seen the DOCSIS device list on the Comcast website)

I just want to be sure I wont have any problems before I go ahead and buy this

Thanks

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: Buy own modem for voice

said by WK2:

Since I just have TV and Voice I dont want to pay $7/month for a modem. I have been looking at the Arris TM602G.

Will Comcast active this? (I have seen the DOCSIS device list on the Comcast website)

I just want to be sure I wont have any problems before I go ahead and buy this

Thanks

That's an old model, so forget about it. If you're gonna buy anything, buy a Arris 722G or better. And forget Ebay or Craigslist. Comcast will NOT activate them at all. You wasted your money. If you're gonna buy, get them from Best Buy. Comcast has a partnership with them last I looked. This is the listing of all participating stores:

»www.arrisi.com/consumer/ ··· _Buy.pdf

I've read that BrandSmart USA stores are doing it as well:

»www.arrisi.com/consumer/ ··· mart.pdf

Hope that helps you. But on the brightside, renting the modem means that it is there problem for upgrades and replacement if it dies.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

So there's no chance at all of Comcast activing a modem from eBay?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by WK2:

So there's no chance at all of Comcast activing a modem from eBay?

Nope. You'd have bought a useless paperweight. Be glad you came here and asked the question before you went buying off Ebay or the like. There are a great many who have tried, only to be denied and stuck with a useless paperweight.

As I've listed, Best Buy is your best bet if you want to buy a EMTA and stop renting.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I just called up Comcast and asked about buying a used modem off of eBay they said it would work if I bought it. 1/2 the stuff they say is bs, so idk.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Believe that it is crap and you're wasting your time. Ebay is NOT the place to look for what you need. Especially EMTAS like you're asking about. Stolen, broken or linked to other accounts. Even ones new from reputable sellers on Ebay will not be activated.

Amazon is also another place that sells EMTAS new last I looked. (Those won't be activated either. Which is a real bummer since Comcast could make quite a deal with the company.)

Your only choices are the ones I've listed as where you can buy one, or just to keep renting.

Since you say you have just TV and Voice, where do you get your internet from?

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Thx Chris.

I currently have a AT&T USB 3G wireless adapter I use for Internet.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Thx Chris.

I currently have a AT&T USB 3G wireless adapter I use for Internet.

You're welcome. Check into that Best Buy list for stores where you live and check into buying one. See if it's worth it. Forget about anything else. I wish I had links to all the horror stories where people bought and were denied. It ended in failure and disappointment. Most bought off Ebay, others Amazon, Craigslist.

I'm glad you're doing your research. You'll save yourself time, money and effort.

This is a link to a Best Buy bought EMTA unboxing so you'll know what to expect. They could have a later, better model out for buy now as well: »Best Buy Comcast xFinity eMTA DOCSIS 3.0 Modem Unboxing

How does that AT&T stuff work for you?

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I mean the AT&T thing is okay. I'm not the one who uses it the most. It's about $60/month and I can use it here and in Florida.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Interesting. And if you travel, I can see why that works best for you.

Wish you much luck with the Comcast situation. Please do come back with whatever choice you make.
drmyk
join:2012-07-21
Tucson, AZ

drmyk to WK2

to WK2
Its interesting. I did an online chat with the comcast/xfinity people and asked this question specifically. I told them it was for their tripple play with voice. I asked if I could buy one from Amazon or Ebay. They said it would be fine, no problems activating. Saved the chat log. Of course, they lost their contract with best buy here, so you can't get one anywhere but online. Don't know if its worth spending the money to find out.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

I just called up Comcast and asked about buying a used modem off of eBay they said it would work if I bought it. 1/2 the stuff they say is bs, so idk.

Comcast may or may not provision a standard cable modem bought over fleabay (it will depend on if their database says it was stolen, or is currently registered to an unpaid account). However, you specifically asked here about an EMTA for voice, and Comcast (unless their policy has very recently changed) will only use a rental EMTA, or one purchased directly from an authorized reseller. The only way it might work with an EMTA bought over fleabay is if someone bought that EMTA from an authorized reseller such as Bestbuy, and then sold it on fleabay without ever registering it with Comcast.

You should have asked the Comcast CSR about a used EMTA purchased over fleabay, not a used modem (but even if you did that, the majority of tier 1 CSRs don't have a clue about how Comcast does things).
drmyk
Tucson, AZ

drmyk

Is there a way to get a more definitive response from an upper level csr at comcast? I'd buy one at bestbuy, but they no longer affiliate with comcast here because of a contracting problem.
Thanks for the help, by the way. If I can swing it, I assume a 722g would be the optimal defice to get?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by drmyk:

Is there a way to get a more definitive response from an upper level csr at comcast? I'd buy one at bestbuy, but they no longer affiliate with comcast here because of a contracting problem.
Thanks for the help, by the way. If I can swing it, I assume a 722g would be the optimal defice to get?

I am not a Comcast employee (upper level or otherwise), but you might be able to get your definitive answer by posting your question in the »Comcast Direct forum.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Brandsmart USA has the TM722 in store for sale, »www.brandsmartusa.com/Pr ··· y-System ,they also have Comcast Connection Centers in all of those stores.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
If Comcast has not changed the rules you have to buy the EMTA from Bestbuy that has a Comcast kiosak there. You will be able to buy it from Ebay Amazon or Brandsmart USA.
If you are calling Comcast did not ask about a modem ask about a EMTA
drmyk
Tucson, AZ

drmyk to WK2

to WK2
Hello,
So I took a chance and bought a 722g. I could not get through best buy since they no longer have comcast in their stores in this area. I bought a used modem from a 3rd party seller on Amazon with good reviews. Activation happened without a problem and I returned my rental modem today. Overall quite happy. No guarantee it would work with someone else, but I had a crappy cell phone connection to comcast that kept getting disconnected, so I ended up using 3 different techs all of whom had no problems doing what I was doing.
Best,
Mike