uniqs

Samus82
Radly
join:2002-01-29
Pflugerville, TX

Samus82 to Screavics

to Screavics

Re: Anyone playing DayZ Arma 2 mod?

my thoughts on the whole thing after a week of playing.

First off. The buzz about this mod/game around the gaming community is kinda big. Talking about it around a few dozen friends got alot of "Hey ive heard about it and it peaked my interest" So i was excited going in and talked 2 of my friends to buy it and play with me.

Now...About the game.

First off the install of this mod is convoluted. If it wasn't for excellent guides online it would be a no go. There is even an option to install a program, to install this mod. a program, to install a mod that stands on its own. Its kinds stupid. There is more than one out there too.

Next, in game the controls are not very well thought out. Buttons are in weird spots and control is not very good. With most games you can almost guess what buttons do what by pressing a few, because most games like this share some kind of similarity. Not this one. Once you figure it out though it is ok but still needs alot of work. The inventory buttons and configuration is BEYOND clunky and almost just plain frustrating. Needs to also get a trade system, if there is one we haven't figured how to do it and the old "drop it on the ground ill pick it up" dont work sometimes because we have had stuff just plain disappear or not be able to be picked up by others. Swing an ax and you look like you have palsy, the hitboxes are also off.

Next, and one of my biggest gripes is, you can hardly go into any buildings. When this was touted as how cool it was and the exploring you can do and how huge the map was, i think people leave out that if there is 10 buildings in a town you can go in like 1 of them and it has 1 room. And the biggest bitch of them all is that you dont know what ones you can go into until you actually go up to them. Kinda stupid. They need to make it so you can go in all of them...i mean its trying to be realistic, you have to eat and drink and rest and all that but cant enter most buildings. Honestly, this is almost a game killer. This game is all about doing things even if they suck, because they are real. But then this happens. It ruins it.

Next is, there is really no explanation for anything. My friends and i have died of thirst about 15 times. Never to have found a canteen or i guess something to put water into. I mean if you are dying of thirst why cant you pick up one of those damn empty cans you find everywhere or just drink from the damn spigot?

Next, sometimes zombies pop in front of you or behind you out of nowhere, and they can walk right through doors and walls. Thats kinda stupid. And the rubber banding lag issue (broken chain icon) needs to be addressed. There also needs to be a map system of some kind...i mean everyone looks at the map online anyways.

You also start out in places randomly. Thats cool, and adds to the realism. But if you are gonna play with friends why not be able to start out in the same spot? I mean i have died of thirst just getting to friends. Stupid. And all the zombies always around the water spigots its stupid. Not to mention i love making a new guy , only to be sniped when i take 2 steps forward.

This game has some cool potential. Nothing like it before has been out. But on a scale of 1-10 about it being started to finished...its at like a 3. Im not sure it was worth the 22 bucks i bought arma on steam for, and alot of friends i talk to feel the same after about a week. Definitely more fun to play with a group if you can....And safer! (if you can find each other)

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

1 edit

Gundy

Premium Member

I agree with a few of those points, mainly the inventory system. But there's not much DayZ can do with ARMA2's inventory management. Hopefully once they go stand alone it'll be more user friendly. The mod being in ALPHA is the strike of alot of new players being turned off. It takes abit of learning to get into the game, most of which people just want a gun and go into a town blasting zombies *cough* left for dead.

Zombie pathing BLOWS, but as Rocket said its what happens when you let a game producer in charge of animations, just up'd the speed of the zombies and their pathing is wacko. However, again as said above you will learn how to combat this as you play more.

That being said, I have NEVER died from thirst/hunger. There are MORE than enough towns/areas for water/canned food. Finding friends sucks yes, but when you meet up with them it makes it more satisfying to work together. And that sorta is the perk of such a large world. Trading is easy through backpack management. Never drop stuff, there are bug reports that items won't show up properly on uneven ground.

The entering of buildings can be solved by going to higher value towns. There are maps out there of the towns and what buildings you can enter, again this is a limitation of ARMA2. And from what I've heard you can enter every building in ARMA3.

The game in ALPHA is totally worth 30$. This genre should've been created along time ago. The whole idea of being able to do totally what you want with your character and not following a Left 4 Dead shootem up style, or a mmo build my character with skills is SO refreshing. Some people may not like it however the PvP aspect is fun as well. As long as you take the game for a different play style than the Call of Duty or MMO aspect as I mentioned, you'll have fun. I haven't had a game grab my attention like this in a long time. The most current problem with the game is a few inventory bugs and hackers.

The PvP system can be a blast. I've had so many stories arise from different scenarios played out with my friends.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

1 recommendation

Raible to Samus82

to Samus82
said by Samus82:

First off the install of this mod is convoluted.

Can't argue this one. It took me the better part of a full day to get this damn mod running. It was definitely a pain in the ass.
said by Samus82:

Next, in game the controls are not very well thought out. Buttons are in weird spots and control is not very good.

My best analogy for this one would be someone familiar with MSPaint making the same complaint about Photoshop. I really do no think the controls are poorly thought out, I think it's just because there are so many things you can do. Getting comfortable with the mouse wheel selection screen is a big thing. Also, I found remapping keys to be easy and intuitive and a great help for actions I perform more often than other.
said by Samus82:

The inventory buttons and configuration is BEYOND clunky and almost just plain frustrating.

I agree. My biggest thing about this one is switching back and for between opening and closing your pack. Not sure if we have to wait for ArmaIII on this one, or if it can be fixed by mod.
said by Samus82:

Needs to also get a trade system, if there is one we haven't figured how to do it

You haven't figured out how to do it. It can only be pack-->pack but you can open anyone else's pack you want, even hostiles and steal stuff out of their packs without them knowing it.
said by Samus82:

Swing an ax and you look like you have palsy, the hitboxes are also off.

I haven't heard many people claim the animations are top notch in this game. I also read some dev interviews where they say that was one of their big things they wanted to improved in ArmaIII. Not sure about the hit boxes. I think you're a bad aim.
said by Samus82:

Next, and one of my biggest gripes is, you can hardly go into any buildings. And the biggest bitch of them all is that you dont know what ones you can go into until you actually go up to them.

Sure, I'd love to be able to go into all of them also, but this one kinda is what it is. My frustration was lowered a bit when I realized there are only about 15-20 building models in the whole game. Take time to learn them and it makes raiding/looting a town much easier.
said by Samus82:

Next is, there is really no explanation for anything. My friends and i have died of thirst about 15 times.

If you have played for a week and haven't found a can of Pepsi, I'm not sure what to tell you. lol
said by Samus82:

There also needs to be a map system of some kind

There is. It's a loot item just like a can beans that you apparently have not had an opportunity to find yet.
said by Samus82:

But if you are gonna play with friends why not be able to start out in the same spot?

Sorry, going to have to sound like a raging fanboi here and say no thanks to LFG in DayZ please.
said by Samus82:

And all the zombies always around the water spigots its stupid.

There are zombies around every loot spot. That's pretty much the core of the gameplay. You said you didn't have a canteen anyway, so skip the spigot. lol
said by Samus82:

Not to mention i love making a new guy , only to be sniped when i take 2 steps forward.

That sucks. Abort-->Disconnect-->OK. Try again.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The rage is strong with this one. Also, his tears are sweet.