JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

[TV] CRTC ruling favours more choice in TV bundles

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···ges.html

»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4429819/

»www.thestar.com/business/article···onsumers

»metronews.ca/news/canada/305332/···e-model/

Didn't Rogers test some "build-your-own-bundle" crap in London, not too long ago? And didn't that turn out to be rubbish?

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON

said by JAC70:

Didn't Rogers test some "build-your-own-bundle" crap in London, not too long ago? And didn't that turn out to be rubbish?

Yes. I'm in London I didn't find out about it until it ended, and it was I think on this website I saw it. I don't know if or how they advertised it, it was like they wanted to keep it hidden so they could say no one wanted it.

Anyways, we'll need to see some actual prices to decide whether this is a good thing or just B.S.

tim87

@rogers.com

Yes they did try it in London. It was actually promoted as heavily as possible. It was advertised on Roger's official blog and was pushed at London area retail stores. It was not advertised on the main site because the rogers website does not support location based marketing down to the municipal level. But yes the offerings were pretty garbage unless you only watch the locals.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to JAC70

My guess is that we'll be paying more for less channels.... Sure we'll be able to not "pay" for the channels we don't want, but Bell, Rogers, et al. certainly aren't going to allow a drop in revenues without a fight.

HenryA

join:2011-05-28
Reviews:
·VMedia
·ooma
reply to JAC70

Darn, you mean I'll miss local cable 10, two french language channels, two religious broadcast channels, a weather channel, a multi-language channel that usually broadcasts some East Indian stuff, the local CTV-2 garbage channel, a shopping channel, the parliamentary channel, treehouse channel and be left with only 4 or 5 channels that I'll actually watch. Well. Darn. I'm so disappointed.

Snark off. I hated regular television. About a year ago, I took the advice of some other dslregulars and got a OTA Channel Master antenna.

I booted Rogers and saved myself a small bundle.

So, now it's Distributel for internet, Ooma for home phone, and free OTA television. 1/3 of what I was paying before, better service and I can give a happy middle finger to Bell and Rogers.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to decx

said by decx:

My guess is that we'll be paying more for less channels.... Sure we'll be able to not "pay" for the channels we don't want, but Bell, Rogers, et al. certainly aren't going to allow a drop in revenues without a fight.

More likely we'll see the current bundles continue, with a probable small increase, and a-la-carte channel pricing be in the range of several dollars each.

Bell had that years ago, but most channels weren't available a-la-carte. It was often still cheaper to add an extra theme pack if you wanted more than 1 channel that was in it.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
reply to JAC70

If they do like they did for the trial in London then it's hardly worth it. I got basic now, but only would want 2-3 extra channels, like discovery and a&e, but dont care about the rest, but if have the minimums of 20 or whatever it's not worth the time.

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON
reply to tim87

said by tim87 :

Yes they did try it in London. It was actually promoted as heavily as possible. It was advertised on Roger's official blog and was pushed at London area retail stores. It was not advertised on the main site because the rogers website does not support location based marketing down to the municipal level. But yes the offerings were pretty garbage unless you only watch the locals.

Late reply, but: Advertising it on their blog and in stores is pretty much useless. How many people even know about their blog (or if they do, how many read it on a regular basis) and who even goes in to a Rogers stores unless you're going to buy or having problems with a cell phone or need to replace or return a modem or cable box? I'm in a Rogers store maybe once a year (less if I can help it). I get junk from Rogers in the mail on a fairly regular basis and I never got anything telling me about this, that is how they should have advertised it.

I definitely would have tried it out, instead, I cancelled my cable in February since I was paying way too much and watching only a few channels. I don't know exactly when they were offering the build your own bundles but was it around that time? Because no one on the phone when I called Rogers to cancel ever offered it to me, and I spoke to several people in January and February of this year.