uniqs
share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

[Info] Microsoft Windows Storage Server

Anyone have any experience using the Western Digital Sentinel DX4000 Small Office Storage Server -- utilizes Microsoft Windows Storage Server?

Any feedback much appreciated.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by mozerd:

utilizes Microsoft Windows Storage Server?

aka Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials according to the specs.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mozerd

Looks pretty neat.

Has a couple of good reviews on Newegg...

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-NA-_-NA

Newegg is also throwing in a free LaCie 100 GB cloud storage backup.

Also has generally good reviews on Amazon.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to mozerd

Got one of these for a client. Very impressive hardware from Western Digital. Supports 25 clients and automates administration for people who do not have or want to learn server OS Skills. IMO a very good solution for small business who want remote access to their data for their employees. Automatic backups for each connected computer on the local network --- backups are FAST due to the Delta copy schemes used and RESTORATION is a breeze. One Caveat --- LOCAL NETWORK must be solid and GIGABIT infrastructure highly recommended.

A ton of features I have not had time to play with -- so far Client is very pleased --- employees are delighted with access to their data from their homes and access to their workstations using RDP.

From my perspective the CONCEPTS for Windows Storage Server is VERY similar to Windows Home Server made specifically for the small business crowd. The level of administrative AUTOMATION is remarkable which may not please the IT consultant but makes the business owner SMILE big time.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

I actually think this is what we'll end up moving to (eventually, should it still be around) once I give up on my current WHS v1 system...