how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vortix

join:2012-07-23
reply to Sam_K

Re: [TWC] Question about avoiding TWC's WiFi service charge

What Internet plan are you on? Upgrading your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem does not automatically increase your speed. If you want faster speeds, you would also need to call Time Warner and have them upgrade your Internet plan (which will cost you more money each month).

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
reply to Sam_K
With the D3 Modems, TWC does not charge for Wi-Fi, only the wi-fi setup.

Sam_K

join:2006-08-17
Rego Park, NY
reply to vortix
said by vortix:

What Internet plan are you on? Upgrading your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem does not automatically increase your speed. If you want faster speeds, you would also need to call Time Warner and have them upgrade your Internet plan (which will cost you more money each month).

I'm on the standard internet plan so my download speed should be 10mbps but I'm only getting 3mbps which is the speed of the basic internet plan. I'll double check my speed via an ethernet connection instead of wifi and then contact TWC. Maybe I'll get them to upgrade me to the turbo internet plan if it's not much more money.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to vortix
said by vortix:

I agree with others. Go with the 6141 and buy a separate wireless router.

Ditto, I will provide my own network devices (wireless, routers, etc.). TWC will just give me service and its modem.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Sam_K
said by Sam_K:

said by vortix:

I'm on the standard internet plan so my download speed should be 10mbps but I'm only getting 3mbps which is the speed of the basic internet plan. I'll double check my speed via an ethernet connection instead of wifi and then contact TWC. Maybe I'll get them to upgrade me to the turbo internet plan if it's not much more money.

Try connecting the cable modem directly to a computer with its network cable?

Sam_K

join:2006-08-17
Rego Park, NY
said by antdude:

said by Sam_K:

said by vortix:

Try connecting the cable modem directly to a computer with its network cable?

Here are 3 speed tests with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet. I'm getting between 3-4 mb/s download and my service is supposed to get up to 10 mb/s. Should I contact TWC because I should be getting much closer to 10 mb/s or am I getting what I should expect?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Sam_K:

Here are 3 speed tests with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet. I'm getting between 3-4 mb/s download and my service is supposed to get up to 10 mb/s. Should I contact TWC because I should be getting much closer to 10 mb/s or am I getting what I should expect?

Sure if it never went close to 10 Mb/sec. Just remember, it is UP to that limit and you won't get alway gety that high. What about peak hours? Does it get slower?