uniqs
share rss forum feed

datguy11

@verizon.net

sealing a crumbling concrete ceiling??

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Anyone know of a product that I could spray or apply on to a concrete ceiling that slowly crumbles and makes a mess of everything below it?

The area in question is underneath my front porch and stairs leading up to that porch.

Years of water seepage has caused rust and deterioration of the concrete.

The water seepage has been corrected, so no more water dripping in.. But since my stairs and porch are above, I believe from the vibrations of foot traffic, etc that it causes the small bits of concrete "dust" to continue to fall.

I tried to put some scrap pieces of sheetrock up there ,but the area is tight..Lots of pipes, my electric and gas meters are located there too, as well as my hot water heater

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
I would say an epoxy sealer, but I have no idea how you can apply that on a ceiling.
I guess you could get an epoxy paint of some kind and roll/brush it on several coats.

This sounds like it would work to fill in voids - »www.ehow.com/how_6454878_repair-···ing.html
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
reply to datguy11
What I would try is a wire brush and a shop vac to get the rest of the loose stuff down.

Then try some Pond Armor. »www.pondarmor.com/

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to datguy11
Replacement is your best option.
(based on what I can see in the pictures)
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

datguy11

@verizon.net
replacement not an option, it would cost big bucks, they would have to jackhammer the porch..and its an attached house, so my neighbor would have to along with it too..

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to datguy11
Replacement is the only option that will work. It's not the answer you wanted, but it's the truth.
Anything else is just a waste of time, effort, and money in lieu of a real fix.
--
...because I care.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to datguy11
said by datguy11 :

replacement not an option, it would cost big bucks, they would have to jackhammer the porch..and its an attached house, so my neighbor would have to along with it too..

You neighbor doesn't get a say in what you do. The only time they do is if it violates local codes/rules and you need to go to the board for a variance. Even then the neighbor only gets to speak why they don't want it to happen but the board will rule how they want regardless.

No idea how much it'd cost but I'm guessing you have no idea either. You think it's not an option so you haven't checked into it. I can't imagine it'd be more then like $2,000-4,000 to completely redo.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to datguy11
I would suggest plastering the ceiling with mortor mix (sand and masonary cement) which was mixed using latex admix.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to datguy11
I would use an epoxy sealer. Multi coat. May or may not work.

But your only out $50 for the try.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to datguy11
Mix up small batches of hydraulic cement into a tooth-paste-like consistency (not runny) and quickly trowel it in there before it sets up. Pre-wet the surface to be treated slightly so it "sticks".
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to datguy11
As I see it, the problem with any repair is that:
1. It won't work
2. When it eventually falls down, it will now be larger (more dangerous) chunks instead of small chunks.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

datguy11

@verizon.net
I can always cut small pieces of sheetrock and build a false ceiling, at least that would stop all that dirt from falling down on some of the things i have stored there

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to datguy11
There are spray-on sealants that would work, although I am not sure they are generally available in the big box stores.

I've seen it used on commercial/industrial jobs...it was applied by the painters. The issue they were addressing was exactly the same one you have...surface crumbling.

I think this might work for you:

»www.bonedryproducts.com/concrete···ecs.aspx
--
Right is right, even if everyone is against it; and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it - William Penn

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to datguy11
said by datguy11 :

I can always cut small pieces of sheetrock and build a false ceiling, at least that would stop all that dirt from falling down on some of the things i have stored there

That's about all you can do as any surface treatment will be very temporary, at best. The crumbling will continue so you may as well contain the pieces.

Eventually you or someone will have to replace all that concrete, but for now as long as the steps are structurally sound you may as well just keep the area under it clean by holding back the crumbs.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

3 edits
reply to datguy11
Waterproof the deck itself first!
Coat ceiling with a liquid rubber product (no! not flex-seal ), it should hold for many years if you stop the leak causing the problem!
It will be messy to apply to a ceiling so wear throwaway cloths and maybe wear a ski mask to cover your face and apply a few coats!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
FRP

Fiber Reinforced Polymer

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

2 recommendations

reply to datguy11
said by datguy11 :

when it gets bad enough, the whole thing will come down and kill someone!. a waterproofed steel plate held up with I beams is the only safe option other than a proper replacement. you have to hold all that weight up securely.

fs483

join:2012-08-16
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by datguy11 :

No idea how much it'd cost but I'm guessing you have no idea either. You think it's not an option so you haven't checked into it. I can't imagine it'd be more then like $2,000-4,000 to completely redo.

Size matters! My neighbors redid their porch and stairs. The porches had the widths of 2 double car garage door (yes driveway allows for 4 cars) and the main stair case was about a single car garage width. Total cost $20 000CAD (I believe) and that doesn't include the railings!

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to datguy11
The only way to fix it is to replace it. The water seepage has started its dammage and it will not stop. The hanger that is in there is rusting and expanding thus cracking and spalling. It may even have rebar in it that is suffering the same fate. Unfortunately once the corrosion has started there is no way to stop it. It will get worse until it fails completely.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fs483
said by fs483:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by datguy11 :

Size matters! My neighbors redid their porch and stairs. The porches had the widths of 2 double car garage door (yes driveway allows for 4 cars) and the main stair case was about a single car garage width. Total cost $20 000CAD (I believe) and that doesn't include the railings!

Craziness! Last year I had a 28' x 28' fibermesh concrete slab poured that was 6" thick for 25% of that.

fs483

join:2012-08-16
Saint-Laurent, QC
said by Critsmcgee:

Craziness! Last year I had a 28' x 28' fibermesh concrete slab poured that was 6" thick for 25% of that.

That's the cost of construction in Quebec...

There's also a major construction corruption inquiry happening in Quebec...
Expand your moderator at work