spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aaaag
@rogers.com

aaaag

Anon

Purchase a Cisco DPC3825 from Rogers?

Following the threads on this forum, I undertand that the SMC modems are pretty bad and Cisco is a bit better. Wanted to purchase a Cisco DPC3825 from Rogers to run as bridge mode, had the ultimate run around today.

Seems that there is no way to purchase it from Rogers, been to two Rogers plus stores and called Rogers as well. Was told every time that they only sell SMC through any of the channels.

How did some of you purchase it and should I even bother to go for the Cisco? Thanks!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I purchased the DPC3825 2weeks ago at a Rogers plus store .... Perhaps the staff at the store you went too have not been trained properly.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to aaaag

Anon

to aaaag
They can sell it to you, they just need to sell you one from the rental pool and bill the cost to your account. Unfortunately very few reps know how to do this because they simply don't understand the intricacies of the billing system.

The easiest way is to simply purchase the SMC retail packaged modem, open it up and then just take it back to store and claim it's broken and they will exchange it with another one from the rental pool which will likely be a Cisco one.

aaag
@rogers.com

aaag

Anon

said by yyzlhr :

They can sell it to you, they just need to sell you one from the rental pool and bill the cost to your account. Unfortunately very few reps know how to do this because they simply don't understand the intricacies of the billing system.

The easiest way is to simply purchase the SMC retail packaged modem, open it up and then just take it back to store and claim it's broken and they will exchange it with another one from the rental pool which will likely be a Cisco one.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, tried two Rogers plus store with the same result. They said they cannot sell Cisco modem, both went up to store manager level and still said no.

I then specifically asked how they deal with warranty replacement, they said they have to go like to like (SMC to SMC), no Cisco ever.

Might just need to drive further and try another Rogers store. Gotta hate the inconsistency in the Rogers system.
JohnPaul40
join:2011-04-18
North York, ON

JohnPaul40

You should try a Cisco DPC3008 modem (for sale at some computer stores). I have had mine up & running for a couple of weeks with Rogers.

There was a snag in my particular case because I'm on a grandfathered TV+internet bundle so they cannot bump me to the greater monthly allowance and faster speed even though my modem is docsis 3. I'd have to change my bundle and at this time I don't want to do so.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

said by JohnPaul40:

You should try a Cisco DPC3008 modem (for sale at some computer stores). I have had mine up & running for a couple of weeks with Rogers.

There was a snag in my particular case because I'm on a grandfathered TV+internet bundle so they cannot bump me to the greater monthly allowance and faster speed even though my modem is docsis 3. I'd have to change my bundle and at this time I don't want to do so.

I am sorry to disagree with you as I am sympathetic to the particulars of your case. But anyone still using a D2 modem on either the Express or Extreme Internet plan is also grandfathered - slower speeds and lower usage allowances. I see no point whatsoever in purchasing a stand alone D3 modem and then going through the hoops with Rogers to get it authorized if Rogers is going to keep you on the same grandfathered plan.
JohnPaul40
join:2011-04-18
North York, ON

JohnPaul40

Hooter, you're absolutely right! In hindsight I would have never pursued getting the DPC3008 activated. At the time I did not know Rogers would tell me "no can do because you're on a grandfatherd plan". My suggestion above is ONLY for folks who are not on a grandfathered plan.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

said by JohnPaul40:

Hooter, you're absolutely right! In hindsight I would have never pursued getting the DPC3008 activated. At the time I did not know Rogers would tell me "no can do because you're on a grandfatherd plan". My suggestion above is ONLY for folks who are not on a grandfathered plan.

It has nothing to do with your grandfathered bundled. The reason your modem is provisioned as a D2, is because Rogers has a serious aversion to activating non Rogers modems. Even when your bundle expires, if their policies regarding 3rd party modems does not change you will be in the exact same situation.
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0 to aaaag

to aaaag
Why not go to Tiger direct or Canada computers and get one of the Thompson 476/475 modems? I have the Cisco and its JUNK. The wireless signal is pathetic and there is nothing you can do to fix it. I have mine bridged with a Belkin N router and it works much better.

The thompson modem is certified by Rogers so they wont balk at activating it, if it has the correct firmware.
kliles
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

kliles

said by cidknee0:

Why not go to Tiger direct or Canada computers and get one of the Thompson 476/475 modems? I have the Cisco and its JUNK. The wireless signal is pathetic and there is nothing you can do to fix it. I have mine bridged with a Belkin N router and it works much better.

The thompson modem is certified by Rogers so they wont balk at activating it, if it has the correct firmware.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in here claim to have successfully bought and provisioned a Thompson modem... anyone? Before buying a modem I would want to be absolutely certain it will get blessed by Rogers (they have enough trouble with their own gear, nevermind 3rd party stuff)
cidknee0

cidknee0

I know they are certified by Rogers, but thats a good point, they might not like it because its not the Cisco junk they are pushing on us.

I will be getting myself one and activating it so I will let you know if it works.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by cidknee0:

I know they are certified by Rogers, but thats a good point, they might not like it because its not the Cisco junk they are pushing on us.

I will be getting myself one and activating it so I will let you know if it works.

I'll save you the trouble, they won't activate it. Call them and ask they will activate either an SMC D3GN or a Cisco DPC3825 only.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

You can activate virtually any D3 modem on Rogers as long as you trick the system into thinking that it is a SMCD3GN. So if you buy a 3rd party modem and just tell them its an SMCD3GN and give them the MAC address they should be able to activate it without issue. Problem is, if Rogers releases firmware upgrades to SMC modems over their network, I'm not sure how non SMC modems would react to that.
cidknee0

cidknee0 to grand total

to grand total
well, hate to burst your bubble, they activated mine last night in 5 min. Easy as pie.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

You can activate virtually any D3 modem on Rogers as long as you trick the system into thinking that it is a SMCD3GN. So if you buy a 3rd party modem and just tell them its an SMCD3GN and give them the MAC address they should be able to activate it without issue. Problem is, if Rogers releases firmware upgrades to SMC modems over their network, I'm not sure how non SMC modems would react to that.

Doesn't work like that. The first few numbers of the modem serial + MAC identify manufacturer,series etc. Also, Firmware updates will not install on incompatible modems. It's one of the safety features built in to a Bios flash. The bios flash checks make, model, and installed version before updating.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

Sure that may be the case but the system doesn't seem to care. When I worked at Rogers I activated several Motorola based D3 modems as SMC.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by yyzlhr :

When I worked at Rogers I activated several Motorola based D3 modems as SMC.

Rogers needs more guys like you to get things rolling smoothly again. Hell, a modem is a modem. As long as folks are paying Rogers for the INet that's all Rogers should worry about.....
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga

grand total to cidknee0

to cidknee0
I hope it works out for you. My personal experience though is that if you have a problem with a non-approved modem, as I did, then it may end badly.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to aaaag

Premium Member

to aaaag
Though our Cisco is being rented at 50% off for 2 years we have the option at any time to buy it outright. $199 + tax for it. Been asked several times if i want to just buy it. Not sure if that's changed in the last 6 months.

I am one of those people who are telling Everyone to stay away from the SMC if that's what you're referring to. It's absolute garbage and it seems Rogers is REALLY trying to push the SMC for some reason.

As a modem it probably works well, but disable it's internal router. Just don't buy the SMC it's not worth $20.
HammerofGawd
join:2012-06-30

HammerofGawd to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
Non approved D3 mdms can be provisioned, sure, but if you get caught going against policy its your @ss.

People: do not listen to posters here saying a Rogers TSC will do whatever they have to in order to get you off the phone fast. Violating company policy is the quickest way to get kicked to the street.