uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

[HD] Question Concerning HD/Non HD Movie Channels

At present I am on a promotion that includes Max and HBO for three months.

I see (at least in my area...maybe everywhere) that not all Max or HBO channels are in HD.
I have never had the movie channels on my line up, but thinking of maybe getting some.

So my question is, is it the norm to not have all of these channels in HD. I was under the impression movie channels were all in HD.

Or does it have to do with the area you live in?

I want to get at least Cinamax (however its spelled), but doesn't make sense seeing movies just made within the last few years, and yet not able to watch them in HD. Whats up with that?

I'm trying to learn this, so any info would be great.

Thanks
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

There are stills millions of people that does not have HD tv or do not want them. That why not programming is in HD.
--
Caddy

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to Robotics

HBO, has one HD feed, as well as Cinemax, Showtime, etc. The secondary premium channels are not carried in HD currently.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

said by beachintech:

HBO, has one HD feed, as well as Cinemax, Showtime, etc. The secondary premium channels are not carried in HD currently.

Ok, thanks. Hope it changes some day. I been catching some good movies here in the last few days, and they all happened to be on the non HD channels.

Thanks again.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to beachintech

Not carried by Comcast.

DirecTV, Dish Network, Cox, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse Networks, Charter and Cablevision all carry some or all of them, and working to add them, not delete them as Comcast is in many markets.

Even smaller cable companies like Atlantic Broadband and Blue Ridge are adding them.

uuslc

join:2009-06-13
reply to Robotics

Salt Lake City currently has 4 HBOs, 1 MAX and 3 SHOs, but as mentioned, those will be going away soon. I had a Comcast rep say that more people are getting these on a promo than not, so there is no point in paying for the HD feed when none of their customers are paying for it as it is. I'm on a massive promo for the Premeir Package, so I get it. I also think that Comcast is thinking you can get some of the movies on demand in Hd, which is true, but they're obviously not all there. We also have 4 StarzHDs and 1 Encore Hd. Not sure what is happening to those.

Os

US

So then what use is there in paying for the SD feed either? Perhaps the HD feed gets watched if you're not slapping the HD Technology Fee on there.

No one can ever convince me that Comcast's customers are clamoring for PBS Kids Sprout HD, Bloomberg HD, Sportsman Channel HD and C-SPAN HD over premium movie networks. And that's precisely the types of channels they're adding in their place for the markets that did receive them.

If they really feel that's going to help them win customers, I don't think it's going to work. Adding no channels no one watches in SD is the real waste of bandwidth, IMO.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to Os

said by Os:

Not carried by Comcast.

DirecTV, Dish Network, Cox, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse Networks, Charter and Cablevision all carry some or all of them, and working to add them, not delete them as Comcast is in many markets.

Even smaller cable companies like Atlantic Broadband and Blue Ridge are adding them.

This is a comcast forum, so that is implied.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

crk2h

join:2003-03-19
Tullahoma, TN
reply to Robotics

FYI- you may not have them on your channel lineup but any of the movies/shows that HBO and Cinemax carry will be on the OnDemand in HD which you can watch anytime vs having to wait for them to come on at a certain time.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

Thanks. I didn't think of that : /

Guess because I'm getting it free for three months my thoughts didn't go that far.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Os

said by Os:

Not carried by Comcast.

with Cox atlest you need a 1Ghz box either thier whole home dvr, or Tivo Premiere or newer to access all available HD premium feeds.

Os

US

Better to have some equipment able to receive them than none. Also, they're on HTPC's.