join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to scooper

Re: got my smart meter today

said by scooper:

I could only wish my usage was that low !

In these hot summer days, I'm running around 100 KWHr / day . I am running a pool pump about 9 hours per day as well.

A big part of it is I don't have a pool pump. that is expensive to operate.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

Actually - just did a check - that 1.5 HP pool pump has a steady power draw of about 1 kw. I think what really kills me in comparison to you is
A. Larger house (2400 sq feet that is heated / cooled)
B. 4 Ton 12 SEER Trane heat pump. (installed in 1997).
C. I do use my programmable thermostat - set to 72 while we're sleeping, and 75 when we're up.

We both probably have electric tank water heaters, same number of residents (2).

Laundry day - last sunday we used 160 KWHr (electric dryer) (and that was "only" 4 loads).

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

said by scooper:

Actually - just did a check - that 1.5 HP pool pump has a steady power draw of about 1 kw. I think what really kills me in comparison to you is
A. Larger house (2400 sq feet that is heated / cooled)
B. 4 Ton 12 SEER Trane heat pump. (installed in 1997).
C. I do use my programmable thermostat - set to 72 while we're sleeping, and 75 when we're up.

We both probably have electric tank water heaters, same number of residents (2).

Laundry day - last sunday we used 160 KWHr (electric dryer) (and that was "only" 4 loads).

i've found 6 hours a day for a pool pump to be quite satisfactory, you can install better insulation in your house and save money there too. if you can get natural gas, switch the range, water heater, and dryer to gas.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to scooper

said by scooper:

Actually - just did a check - that 1.5 HP pool pump has a steady power draw of about 1 kw.

Its closer to 2.2kwh for a 1.5HP pump

»www.ecopumpmotors.com/pool-pump-···ews.html

First 1HP with 100% efficiency is 745 watts, but pool motors are far from being 100% efficient, closer to 50% at best.

Next, most pools don't need more than 3/4 HP. its all to common that installer just slap in an over sized motor

»www.energysavers.gov/your_home/w···ic=13290