share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

What is an "LED TV"?

Is this »www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5000FXZA really an LED TV, or is it just an LCD TV with an LED backlight?

I'm just a little confused by the possible marketing doublespeak.

Jet
Premium
join:2002-01-03

I do not see any specifications for an LCD screen like IPS, TN, or any other LCD technologies. So I have to assume it is actually an LED TV.

Jet

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

If you look at any of Samsungs monitors, it unfortunately doesn't list the actual screen type of any.

Its an Led Backlit LCD

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Bob4

There is a lot of marketing double speak going on there.

But to answer your question directly, "What is an LED TV?".

This is simply a LCD TV that is lit by LED's from behind rather than being lit from the edges with various flouresecent bulbs.

There is a link on the page you rpovided that has a brief explanation of the differences in flat panel TV's that offers some explanation of the LED.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

OK, thanks guys. I didn't realize we weren't at the point of having real LED TVs yet.

It would seem the advantages of the LED backlight aren't worth the extra cost.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

You haven't seen one in person then.

LED-LCD are generally brighter, or at least better color reproduction, generally better viewing angle, thinner, cooler, and use less energy. Plus, in theory, they should have a longer lifetime than CCFL-LCD.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

At this point I wouldn't consider buying anything but a LED-LCD.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by robbin:

At this point I wouldn't consider buying anything but a LED-LCD.

Perhaps, but isn't $450+ for a 32" TV a little steep?

I decided that if I get a new TV, that I'd want 37", which is even more expensive.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Possibly -- that's why the last 32" I purchased came from Costco and i paid less than $350 for it.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

LED-LCD are generally brighter, or at least better color reproduction, generally better viewing angle, thinner, cooler, and use less energy. Plus, in theory, they should have a longer lifetime than CCFL-LCD.

First, I should note there are two types of "LED TV" -- edge lit and full back lit. Almost all LED TVs are edge lit, and they use white LEDs. For those, "thinner, cooler, and use less energy" definitely applies. However, there are 'full backlit' panels, and they use a lot more energy. Of course there's only a handful of such TVs and monitors were ever produced -- one is a now discontinued Sony Bravia. I think they used RGB LEDs instead of white ones -- they definitely had better color reproduction and are much more stable.

As for the usual edge lit TVs -- viewing angle is really the property of the LCD, so the backlight should have no effect on it. Brightness doesn't depend on technology, and color reproduction I think really depends the individual components used. They are definitely different, but whether one is better or not, that's debateable. Personally, I think wide spectrum CCFLs are better than most white LEDs. RGB LED can be better than even wide spectrum CCFLs, but you won't find that in many panels, so for practical purposes, its a moot point.

Another thinig is that even though LEDs can have a very long life time compared to CCFLs most white LEDs suffer from color shift because in reality they are blue LEDs with phosphor. (there are whites made out of RGB LEDs, but I don't think those are used in TVs)
--
Wacky Races 2012!

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

the only very minor issue i have with led edge lit lcd panels is the uniformity of the light across large lcd panels.
its obviously brighter on the edge of the display panel than the center, most regular people wont even notice it.
the other very minor issue is the white tone with a slight blue hue to it but again, most people wont notice this.
even CFL back lit lcd displays have a very slightly "warm" white due to the phosphor used for the CFL tube.
overall, i prefer led edge lit for many reasons, less power consumption & heat, thinner display panel and longer life of the led's, the led's would most likely outlive (depending on how hard they are driven) the lcd panel (chances of a single pixel defect is much greater).
i dont drive the led's more than level 1, its better on the eyes when youre 3 feet from the set in a dark room and its better for the led's.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

Did you try calibration? Methinks that should fix color issues, unless the panel is really crappy. Not sure about TVs, but LCD monitors in general come with brightness cranked up way too much.

BTW, I did some search, and there are some full array LCD LED TVs currently for sale -- they are not cheap, though the Sony is priced dirt cheap at some places. (scam?) »reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html
For the OP, That article also explains the various types of "LED TVs"

Edit: Here's another, somewhat older CNET article on full backlit LED backlit LCDs: »news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-100···tentMain
--
Wacky Races 2012!

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

the very minor issues i discovered is not something im really that concerned about.
after all, at age 42, my vision is bad enough anyway
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to aurgathor

Thanks for the info guys, especially the cnet links. I need to look at them further.

I stopped by a couple stores* today. I really don't see a difference between the LCD and the LED-backlit images. They looked the same to me. The LCD/LED images did look better than the plasma images; the plasmas seemed washed-out.

* I'll admit that a brightly-lit store is not the best place to compare images, but I'm not about to bring home 5 different TV sets to compare them!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I just realized another issue. The room has windows with bright sunshine opposite the TV. This means a lot of reflections on the screen. It's a problem with my current CRT screen. I imagine it will be even worse with a large flat screen.

Most HDTVs has glossy screens. It seems like this would be a problem with the bright reflections. Does anyone know of any 37" or 40" TVs with a matte screen and that will play movies/videos via a USB port or WiFi?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

I bright room was a concern of mine. I bought a 46" Vizio with a matte screen based on how bright it looked in the store. At factory settings, this TV looks great in a very bright room.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Bob4

Click for full size
So I kind of settled on a Samsung UN40ES6100, 40", 120 Hz, edge-lit LED, 1080p, smart TV with built-in Wi-Fi for $800. So I went to Best Buy and looked at it. There were noticeable bright spots near the corners. See above. The bright spots in the lower right are about the size of dimes. (The spots near the laptop image are just reflections of the store lighting.)

Other than that, the picture looked fine. Don’t know if I’d want spots like that after spending $800.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Could've been just a defective panel or a reflection from something. (i.e. lightbulb)

BTW, as per »store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores···overview Sony had a blowout sale on their 46", triluminous, full-array backlit LED TV for only $999.99 ...
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Definitely not a reflection. It's inherent in the panel and makes me question the earlier statement: "At this point I wouldn't consider buying anything but a LED-LCD."

The real question is it a one-off defect, or will I have similar artifacts if I buy one of these $800 TVs.

Regarding the Sony, 46" is too big for the room. Do they have any 40" versions?

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

They do have 40" models, but they're only edge-lit.
While they're definitely better w.r.t. size, power usage, and longevity, I don't think edge-lit LED have any inherent advantage w.r.t. picture quality.

I'd just go to some more stores, widen the scope, and take the time to look at more TVs before buying one.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I bought the UN40ES6100 last night. The screen is fine. No bright spots. I turned off the auto backlight adjustment because it was very annoying and the screen was too dark with the auto adjust on.

Now I have to get the WiFi streaming set up properly. Samsung's AllShare server was crappy. The TV works with the Win7 / Windows Media Player streaming, but the setup is clunky and I have to rename MKV files to WMV for them to play. Also, there's no real FF/rewind function.

Any suggestions on a better DLNA server than what's built in to Win7?

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

»www.plexapp.com/
there is an app for the tv, pc and mobile devices.
search for plex in smarthub.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by IllIlIlllIll:

»www.plexapp.com/
there is an app for the tv, pc and mobile devices.
search for plex in smarthub.

Thanks, that looks interesting. But it's not available yet for my UN40ES6100.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

interesting. I'm able to install it and use it on my 2011 samsung un46d8000 set. I would expect it to be available for the 2012 models. were you able to find it in search on smart hub?
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Click for full size
The Plex site says my TV is not supported, the Samsung site (above) says my TV is not supported, and the app doesn't show up on Smart Hub. Supposedly it's in development.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

1 edit

damn.
i bet if i send you the APK, it would install and work fine anyway.
i was using different methods to serve files to the tv until i tried plex, its something i enjoy using alot as it makes things much easier to work with.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

Apparently some changes had to be made (the old version wouldn't install), but a version for the new TVs is on the way:

quote:
Samsung is testing the 2012 version of the App at the moment, but we can't say if or when it's going to be released.
So you will need a bit more patience.
quote:
The unofficial release is availabel in the thread called "2012 Models (E-Series) are supported (Not official)"
You can see it in 3rd party clients/Samsung smart hub.
quote:
Samsung asked us to stop distributing the application via public IP, so I'm closing this thread. Besides the fact that they asked, it creates confusion to have multiple copies floating around, especially when they are being distributed without the express consent of the original authors.
»forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top···pported/
»forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top···fficial/

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

not sure if you want to try the developer install for the app, but i managed to get a copy of the app, (Plex_Laika_0956_America_20120110_09561_America_20120115.zip)
if you want it, i will upload it to my server and PM you the IP address, its 34MB.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll wait for the official release. The rumor mill indicates that may be this month.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

also, if you find the tv "freezes" and becomes unresponsive, then shuts off and turns back on (during connection to the internet), go to samsung.com and download the newest firmware.
the option for firmware upgrade through the internet on the tv itself generally will not show the latest firmware.
if you have any questions, you can PM.
im a samsung engineer.
--