uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to EliteData

to EliteData

Re: What is an "LED TV"?

Wait a minute! Can the Samsung TV use it's built-in DLNA interface to connect to a Plex server running on my PC?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

Wait a minute! Can the Samsung TV use it's built-in DLNA interface to connect to a Plex server running on my PC?

not sure.
i have not tried that since i like the interface of the plex app.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

I just realized that Plex server doesn't run as a service. (What kind of server doesn't run as a service?) That makes it not very useful, since I'd have to log in to run it. I also see references to memory leaks.

I guess I'm stuck with Windows Media Player streaming for now.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

I dont have issues with memory leaks.
you can also create a service in windows.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Apparently running it as a service is not that simple, and there are issues returning from sleep.

See - »forums.plexapp.com/index ··· ry274963

INtheKnow
@charter.com

INtheKnow

Anon

I use TVersity with my PS3 and my Yamaha reciever to stream audio (both) and Video (PS3) to my Sammy D8000. There was a free version on cnet if I remember correctly.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Bob4

to Bob4
There are two different backlighting technology's for an LCD. there are both CFL and LED lighting's. So what you have is an LCD TV without the standard CFL backlight but with LED backlighting. They should not market LCD only as an LED TV when it is not really an LED TV but as an LED LCD or CFL LCD based on witch backlighting is has in it.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by floydb1982:

There are two different backlighting technology's for an LCD. there are both CFL and LED lighting's. So what you have is an LCD TV without the standard CFL backlight but with LED backlighting. They should not market LCD only as an LED TV when it is not really an LED TV but as an LED LCD or CFL LCD based on witch backlighting is has in it.

But there are four (4) types of LED backlighting. See - »reviews.cnet.com/2795-64 ··· 399.html
Mine is edge-lit without local dimming, but the backlighting will globally dim on dark scenes to improve the black level. Mine also has backlight scanning, which I have disabled.

I agree that they should be marketed as "LED illuminated LCD TVs".
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Nyan Cat there are 4 types LED backlighting now??? I thought there was only one type. Goes to show you what i know. I myself have a 2007 Vizio 37" 1080i/60Hz from Walmart for $700 and a 2009 Magnavox 47" 1080p/60Hz from Target for $800.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
every piece of content is engineered at different Y/C levels.
the same will apply for sound.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Bob4

to Bob4
There is no such thing as an LED TV at all. It's deceptive to call it an LED TV when the LED is just another type back lighting for the LCD just as the the CFL back lighting is used in LCD as well. So they should be marketed witch ever back light is in the LCD. They should market them and call them LED LCD or CFL LED.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by floydb1982:

There is no such thing as an LED TV at all. It's deceptive to call it an LED TV when the LED is just another type back lighting for the LCD just as the the CFL back lighting is used in LCD as well. So they should be marketed witch ever back light is in the LCD. They should market them and call them LED LCD or CFL LED.

What is a "CFL LED"? Is it like an 'Incandescent CFL'?
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

aurgathor you miss understood what I said. There is no such thing as an CFL LED display at all. Incandescent & CFL are two different types of lighting. CFL stands for compact fluorescent lamp and is also called compact fluorescent light. LED stands for Light-emitting diode. Those are two types of lighting used for the back lighting they use in LCD computer monitor's & LCD TV's to light up the screen from screen of the LCD from the back of the LCD. Do you understand what I am saying???
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

You had a typo. You said "LED LCD or CFL LED" when you meant to say "LED LCD or CFL LCD".
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

So that is what aurgathor meant by wanting to know what an CFL LED was. Nyan Cat I see the typo error I made. Thanks for letting me know.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Anyway, I've had the Samsung UN40ES6100 for a few weeks now, and it's great. The WiFi works fine, and I can stream 15 Mbps HD movies from my Win7 PC with no problems, even while my daughter is playing Minecraft!

Best Buy raised the price of the TV from $800 to $1100 this week.
Relkin
join:2006-03-05
nightmare

Relkin to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Led powered DLP TV, using red green and blue LEDs.

»www.amazon.com/Samsung-H ··· 00N53TDM

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

its not quite the same as the "OLED" flat panel display and also discontinued.
Relkin
join:2006-03-05
nightmare

Relkin

Still more of an led tv than just a white led backlight. I will be extremely sad when mine finally kicks the bucket. It has been an awesome tv for the 4 or 5 years I have had it. I find it sad that most people are more concerned with getting a tv that they can mount on the wall than one that has a better picture. I'll still take my 5 year old led dlp over most lcds still.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

from experience, the first LED to go bad is the red.
valinrace
join:2012-10-04

valinrace to Bob4

to Bob4
It has a clearer picture than LCD. and also it consumes less electricity.