Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Bill_MI:

Security Now #360: »twit.tv/show/security-now/360 time: 0:16:16 thru 0:26:16

EDIT: Perhaps this is a better link:
(youtube clip)

Yep...from a pair of opinionated, but inaccurate clowns. Y-a-w-n...nuthin' to see here (or more accurately, nothing to learn here). Several of the assertions were flat out incorrect from the get-go (such as the ridiculous claim that the routers "phone-in" to Cisco...geez, auto updates have been around for software and hardware for how long now?)

Let's see now...since the firmware was installed:

I have had unusual offers to buy...er...ah...nothing...

I have been hacked by...uh...oh...no one. Hmmm...

"Big Brother Cisco" has demanded that I...well...gee...they ain't said nothing to me at all. Go figure?

Oh, I get it! Maybe it is like a scene from the old Terminator movie "Rise of the Machines" yeah? At the stroke of some pre-determined hour, all this horrible crap will be wrought upon us by our routers! Whee! Get me my tin-foil hat, boys!

Besides which, if they ever did do these things, I would not even worry about "downgrading" the firmware, hell, I'd throw it out and never use another Cisco product. Yeah sure, Cisco wanted to piss their customers off...uh huh, right. Did Cisco goof in their running this as an auto-update? Yup...not the end of the civilized world as we know it...
--
Deeds, not words

IlKevinlI

join:2000-10-25

2 recommendations

That's ridiculous ! Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean it can't or won't in the future.

said by PeteC2:

said by Bill_MI:

(youtube clip)

Yep...from a pair of opinionated, but inaccurate clowns. Y-a-w-n...nuthin' to see here (or more accurately, nothing to learn here). Several of the assertions were flat out incorrect from the get-go (such as the ridiculous claim that the routers "phone-in" to Cisco...geez, auto updates have been around for software and hardware for how long now?)

Let's see now...since the firmware was installed:

I have had unusual offers to buy...er...ah...nothing...

I have been hacked by...uh...oh...no one. Hmmm...

"Big Brother Cisco" has demanded that I...well...gee...they ain't said nothing to me at all. Go figure?

Oh, I get it! Maybe it is like a scene from the old Terminator movie "Rise of the Machines" yeah? At the stroke of some pre-determined hour, all this horrible crap will be wrought upon us by our routers! Whee! Get me my tin-foil hat, boys!

Besides which, if they ever did do these things, I would not even worry about "downgrading" the firmware, hell, I'd throw it out and never use another Cisco product. Yeah sure, Cisco wanted to piss their customers off...uh huh, right. Did Cisco goof in their running this as an auto-update? Yup...not the end of the civilized world as we know it...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

My suggestion is to STOP using CISCO products. CISCO cannot be trusted period.

Bill_MI See Profile thanks for posting this very informative video.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IlKevinlI
said by IlKevinlI:

That's ridiculous ! Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean it can't or won't in the future.

Not even vaguely so...

I guess you missed the part where I said if these terrible, dire things ever do happen...why I'll simply toss it out and buy another brand, eh? What I consider ridiculous is to jump to all kinds of unfounded conclusions.

We can agree to disagree, but I see very little risk here. When would I be proven right or wrong? 6 months with none of these terrible things happening? How about a year? I will gladly wager that a year from now, the horrific Cisco Cloud will have done me no harm. (And if it does, anyone here has my heart-felt permission to tell me "I told 'ya so!")

Until or unless that happens however, my opinion is every bit as valid as yours...and if nothing bad happens...more so.
--
Deeds, not words

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to Bill_MI
Well, I will say this.... I will be in charge of my router.
I will set firmware
I will set switches
No one will have access to my router -- but Me.
I will not set up a router by a 'program'
and I will give Remote Access to my router to No-One

Looks like I will re-cap the router when necessary, and continue on....

I don't like the approach of what they were talking about.

I don't care if it's all hypothetical blustering and chest beating...

The fact that something like this would happen means I would not have 100% control over my own router...

I may be self taught....I may read the manual and call the factory and or post multiple threads with implementation questions, or to learn new features. I may make mistakes (and I have)... but when I get done configuring a router... I have confidence that I've done as good a job as I could....

My main concern with this is... Ok... I'm finished... I've done the best that I can.... Why would I want hardware to be changed behind my back, and with me having just learned what the features are... changing settings behind my back would not be at all comfortable for me.... Is the settings changed something I'm not familiar with?

Sharing history and files sounds like big brother crap to me... Whereas I've nothing to be concerned about, I do beta test work for a company, and I'm certain they wouldn't want these links being shared....

Yeah... A lot of chest pounding... but good points were made....

Thank goodness for ESR meters!!! I'll keep my RVS4000 until it's dead and un-responsive at this point!!!
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
The handwritting is on the wall, what is now called the "cloud" is the future, like it or not. No more local storage or applications either...

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

I will set firmware
I will set switches

Well, I hear you...except you already have no firmware control of your modem!

I see that you are a Comcast customer, yes? As such, even if you own your own modem the firmware is strictly controlled by Comcast. If you ever used one of their wireless gateways, you'd have no say over router functionality either.

I am not trying to offend anybody here...just trying to deflate some of the hyperbole that is in the air.

P.S. With the cloud firmware I set my router up as I wished, no different than I did through the router's web page.
--
Deeds, not words

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
My router is downstream from theirs... And my wireless connection is downstream of that...
So if it makes it through Comcast... I have control downstream of that.

said by PeteC2:

said by Jan Janowski:

I will set firmware
I will set switches

Well, I hear you...except you already have no firmware control of your modem!

I see that you are a Comcast customer, yes? As such, even if you own your own modem the firmware is strictly controlled by Comcast. If you ever used one of their wireless gateways, you'd have no say over router functionality either.

I am not trying to offend anybody here...just trying to deflate some of the hyperbole that is in the air.

P.S. With the cloud firmware I set my router up as I wished, no different than I did through the router's web page.

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle