Search similar:

uniqs
Vertigo101
join:2012-06-13
Farmington, ME

3 edits

Vertigo101

[connectivity] Fairport DSL margin db still drops after steps

My Fairport DSL keeps dropping and I have done the following steps to improve the connection of my DSL.

1. Checked filters and made sure the cat did not bite any.

2. Checked my DSL connection from the nid jack outside. Dsl outside was a solid connection with a 15 margin db down and up but I did not test it for very long.

3. Changed out the entire line in my house with a Cat 5 cable and made sure that the DSL was the only thing on the line.

After step 3 my connections sync speed does not change after each drop out like it use to. I would go from 3500 kbps down and 912 kbps up to 700 kbps down 800 kbps up.

Now I am confused is there something I am missing?

My Margin down speed db keeps changing from 14.0 and drops all the way to 6.1 and when it does drop I can no longer use the internet but the Internet stays connected

Pingtest.
1. »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 9210.png
2. »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 9493.png

Some times theres jitter most of the time theres 0-1 jitter.

Speed tests.
1. »speedtest.net/result/207 ··· 9106.png
2. »speedtest.net/result/207 ··· 4613.png
3. »speedtest.net/result/207 ··· 8466.png
4. »speedtest.net/result/207 ··· 9682.png

The third speed test my margin db dropped dorn to 6.5 and the internet paused for a minute or two.

Here is my stats.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3547 912
Margin (dB) 3.7 14.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 49.5 25.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.2 12.6

bruins55
@rr.com

bruins55

Anon

Re: [connectivity] Fairport DSL margin db still drops after step

They make a filter that goes in the network interface box outside your house these tend to work better then the plug in jack style ones for some reason and you can give it a straight unfiltered run to your modem and this really helps....see this problem everyday.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Vertigo101

MVM

to Vertigo101
If margin at the NID is the same as when the modem is connected normally you have pretty much eliminated inside wiring as the cause of the problem.

Not sure I understand Item 3. It sounds like you are using inline DSL filters at each phone. Running a dedicated line from the NID to the DSL modem is nice but as bruins55 posted using a whole house POTS/DSL splitter does a better job isolating voice telephones from the high frequencies used by DSL.

I prefer using a standalone splitter rather then messing with the phone company NID.

»www.tiinetworktechnologi ··· 1211.pdf

This is the same unit that was made by Siecor/Corning for many years.

The only way to determine if intermittent problem is within your residence or the phone line is to connect the DSL modem to the NID for an extended period and see of problem persists.

Does DSL share same line as telephone? If so how is voice quality? Any noise especially when phone is first picked up? What about crosstalk, other voices? If voice quality is not up to snuff call repair.

/tom
Vertigo101
Farmington, ME

Vertigo101

There is some static on the line as well as echos once and a while.

Another thing this town has is crappy phone lines. We have the very first generation of telephone lines and they have never been changed out.

We went from Party lines to single phone lines and thats about it back in the 70s or 80s.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Vertigo101:

There is some static on the line as well as echos once and a while.

Call voice repair.

/tom
Vertigo101
Farmington, ME

1 edit

Vertigo101

Guessing fairpoint is testing my line to my house for drop outs and I have already lost connection 9 times with in an hour.

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3547 394
Margin (dB) 15.6 102.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.0 26.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.6 12.6

Here is the stats of them testing my lines.

Upload Margin db is insane O_o

Edit: Fairpoint was testing the line outside down the road and now they pulled in and said there was a lot of noise on the line.

They disconnected a phone jack in my room that could be faulty and my line noise doubled for down and up. I hope it's fine now