Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to Moffetts

Mod

to Moffetts

Re: Fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc.?

A 44 magnum has too much penetration. It's going to rip through your walls and will be expensive. If you miss, you already lost.

Statistically you are going to be robbed at night in low light. A good 12 gauge, or if you have nothing expensive about, a 10 gauge with bird shot will be the thing to guarantee a hit.

Pistols suck in this environment.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to raythompsontn

to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

said by ArgMeMatey:

Now laundromat customer #1 is robbed of $1000 by "customer #2", in full view of the fake camera.

No one using a laundromat will have $1000 on them. The police would investigate that as a scam.

That's not entirely accurate. I used to rent from a place that had one washer and dryer for 4 units and one of the units was a lady with 3 kids. She was almost constantly washing, so the other 3 units (myself, included) would typically use the laundromat down the street (it was cheaper by 50 center per load, so we didn't really mind).

It was a common occurrence that I would receive a cash payment from a client, well in excess of $1000, and have that on me as I was loading up the washers, since the laundromat was on the way to the bank. One of my neighbors in that building was a contractor in the same industry, with similar clients; I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he did the same thing.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

The problem with dogs is people don't train them to attack people. Sure they'll bark and growl if a stranger shows up but that's normally the extent of it.

Two Border Collies live here. Two of the friendliest dogs you'd ever meet, but with more common sense than many human beings I know.
The last thing you would want to do is creep onto our property while we're sleeping or not at home.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman

Rawr!

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

The problem with fake stuff, is as soon as word gets around, they are useless.

Back in high school I life guarded at a YMCA that had real and fake cameras around the facility. One of the fake ones was in the men's locker room (not sure if the women's had one as well). We'd occasionally have someone who got upset that they were being filmed changing. These same people were usually the not to bright ones that lacked basic common sense:
1. The coax wire that came out of the back was about 3" and went no where.
2. The "recording" LED light was just a red piece of plastic. It wasn't even a real LED
3. 90% of the time it was pointed at a wall because someone didn't want to be recorded (ignoring 1 & 2)
4. The legal implications of openly recording people changing was mind blowing

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to BronsCon

to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

It was a common occurrence that I would receive a cash payment from a client, well in excess of $1000, and have that on me as I was loading up the washers, since the laundromat was on the way to the bank.

Likewise, I used to work in a large apartment complex and it was common for people making large cash transactions with other private parties to seek out locations, such as the laundry rooms, that had cameras in them. People would come into the security office and want to go behind the counter to see what the camera could see. We would just tell them to do it in the office, but some people did not want us knowing what they were up to.

I haven't seen any cases to cite, but it stands to reason that if I am attempting to deceive potential criminals, I am probably also deceiving everyone. How, then, should the public determine which statements I make are true, and which are false?

It's called an unintended consequence and, after the fact, everybody wants to turn the clock back and un-do. Sometimes it's better to do nothing.

»www.securityinfowatch.co ··· question

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon

I'm not quite sure our situations are similar... I had cash on hand for web development work I did for my clients, which I was heading to the bank to deposit. The transaction wasn't done at the laundromat. :P

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

1 recommendation

motoracer to antdude

to antdude
If you ever see a blinking red light on a camera, feel free to do whatever you want - it's fake.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by motoracer:

If you ever see a blinking red light on a camera, feel free to do whatever you want - it's fake.

(_|_) at it.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

1 recommendation

Asiabound to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Draiman:

Rawr!

This is a little more like it.
If you're ever in the Chicago area and would like to test your foolish assumption, let me know.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Asiabound:

said by Draiman:

Rawr!

This is a little more like it.
If you're ever in the Chicago area and would like to test your foolish assumption, let me know.

You don't want that if they are as mean as you say but if I'm there I'll stop. The downside is if they bite anyone and it's bye-bye doggie. Not a good ending for the story. A single use security device at best with an attached lawsuit. Hopefully you have a home owners rider to cover them if they are that mean. Thanks for the pictures!
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by Moffetts:

I use a .44 magnum.

When you're not at home too? Are they sentry guns with mounted guns? :P

Not officially. Officially, I have a german shepherd.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Click for full size
I only use this sign in the front window and have had most of the neighbors ask if their system works well and how much it cost...........so I'm thinking the bad guys wonder too. lol

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I only use this sign in the front window and have had most of the neighbors ask if their system works well and how much it cost...........so I'm thinking the bad guys wonder too. lol

So, it is working for you. :P

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
Mabinay

Asiabound to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
They are not mean at all. They will not bite anyone unless they or one of us is threatened.

My point is, they are the best deterrent I could have. Any bad guy is going to leave us alone. And if they don't, they will be wearing a couple black and white (pissed off) stoles.
As much as I love my dogs, their lives aren't as important as my family's lives.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

Do you guys use fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc. around your homes? Does it really work to scare off thieves?

Thank you in advance.

Real cameras, real signs, real motion-activated flood lights, real (big) dog, real police car, real guns.

Yes, it works.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I have an 85lbs dog who doesn't take food from strangers (even from our good neighbors that is).
The water company had to install a remote meter.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to antdude

Anon

to antdude
said by antdude:

Do you guys use fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc. around your homes? Does it really work to scare off thieves?

Unless you know a thief specifically tried to break into your house and was turned away by one of these things, no one knows for sure.

Real cameras and alarms don't deter all theives, so it's all a crap shoot really.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I have an 85lbs dog who doesn't take food from strangers (even from our good neighbors that is).
The water company had to install a remote meter.

I have a 80 lb dog who would sell his soul to get his head and back scratched.
natedj

natedj to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I would not waste my time with fake cameras, and once you start install real cameras you'll realize that you never have enough.
Fake cameras does one thing only .... deter petty thieves.
Real cameras does two, deter petty thieves and catch real ones.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by natedj:

I would not waste my time with fake cameras, and once you start install real cameras you'll realize that you never have enough.

You could do both.

Bill B
@fnds.com

Bill B

Anon

This thread reminds me of a joke....

Old Vic, the farmer, has a watermelon patch and when he checks on their welfare he discovers that some of the local children have been helping themselves on a regular basis. Old Vic thinks hard of different ways to discourage this very unsatisfactory situation. Eventually he decides to put up a sign that says: 'Warning! One of these watermelons contains poison.'

Old Vic smiles smugly as he watches the youngsters run off the next evening without stealing any of his melons. However, the next day when Old Vic returns to the watermelon patch he discovers, to his horror, that even though none of the watermelons have been taken, another sign has been erected that reads: 'Now there are two!'
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

49528867 (banned) to cowboyro

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

The problem with dogs is they announce their presence and can be silenced in a number of ways most of which are not too healthy for the dog.

Wayne
jsouth
Jsouth
join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS

jsouth to antdude

to antdude
We real signs given to us buy a security company guy who gave us a free estimate on securing our house. We also had the WPD come out and gave us a free security screening. I also keep the bushes trimmed back so that all windows can be seen easily and have security lights and others to remove any dark areas around the house.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to natedj

Anon

to natedj
said by natedj:

A place I short-time contracted at was visited by the local police looking to get the footage from the side door camera, which faced a small shared parking lot where some crime had occurred overnight.

It was at this point the owner had to explain the camera was fake.

The owner was pretty proud of it, not realizing it only fooled the cops and did not deter the crime.

So he puts a similar fake system in his vacation cabin, but also adds the fake barking dog alarm. Soon enough, someone broke into the place and trashed it. They also put a bullet through the dog alarm.

/TrueStory

-Jim

skrud
join:2002-05-19
Barrington, IL

skrud to antdude

to antdude
I would think that most break-ins happen when people are not home. to tired to google stats.

If somebody wants to get in they will.

I think most theives are lazy and will go to the easiest place.So if you make it harder for them they will move on to easeir pickings.

I got a Rott. Does not play well with others.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
i use a combination of real cameras, an alarm system, my AR15, and my H&K P30L.

i luckily haven't needed the AR or the P30L yet, and the camera system sent one scumbag to jail LOL.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by quitaccount:

i use a combination of real cameras, an alarm system, my AR15, and my H&K P30L.

i luckily haven't needed the AR or the P30L yet, and the camera system sent one scumbag to jail LOL.

Was it after that scumbag stole stuff?

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

1 recommendation

quitaccount

Premium Member

no----luckily before. there's a huge heroin problem in my area, so i figured i'd take precautions.

.......i'll throw the video up on youtube later and link it. his girl went to the clink too----you'll see her drive down the street after him blacked out in a jeep. that's how the cops knew who it was------they knew her truck

as for the guns, it's my hobby. i also hunt. i've had guns since i was a wee little bastard LOL