share rss forum feed

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Draiman

Re: Fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc.?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Draiman:

Rawr!

This is a little more like it.
If you're ever in the Chicago area and would like to test your foolish assumption, let me know.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Chinabound:

said by Draiman:

Rawr!

This is a little more like it.
If you're ever in the Chicago area and would like to test your foolish assumption, let me know.

You don't want that if they are as mean as you say but if I'm there I'll stop. The downside is if they bite anyone and it's bye-bye doggie. Not a good ending for the story. A single use security device at best with an attached lawsuit. Hopefully you have a home owners rider to cover them if they are that mean. Thanks for the pictures!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

said by Oedipus:

I use a .44 magnum.

When you're not at home too? Are they sentry guns with mounted guns? :P

Not officially. Officially, I have a german shepherd.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Click for full size
I only use this sign in the front window and have had most of the neighbors ask if their system works well and how much it cost...........so I'm thinking the bad guys wonder too. lol
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I only use this sign in the front window and have had most of the neighbors ask if their system works well and how much it cost...........so I'm thinking the bad guys wonder too. lol

So, it is working for you. :P

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
reply to Draiman
They are not mean at all. They will not bite anyone unless they or one of us is threatened.

My point is, they are the best deterrent I could have. Any bad guy is going to leave us alone. And if they don't, they will be wearing a couple black and white (pissed off) stoles.
As much as I love my dogs, their lives aren't as important as my family's lives.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

Do you guys use fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc. around your homes? Does it really work to scare off thieves?

Thank you in advance.

Real cameras, real signs, real motion-activated flood lights, real (big) dog, real police car, real guns.

Yes, it works.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to antdude
I have an 85lbs dog who doesn't take food from strangers (even from our good neighbors that is).
The water company had to install a remote meter.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

Do you guys use fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc. around your homes? Does it really work to scare off thieves?

Unless you know a thief specifically tried to break into your house and was turned away by one of these things, no one knows for sure.

Real cameras and alarms don't deter all theives, so it's all a crap shoot really.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I have an 85lbs dog who doesn't take food from strangers (even from our good neighbors that is).
The water company had to install a remote meter.

I have a 80 lb dog who would sell his soul to get his head and back scratched.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to antdude
I would not waste my time with fake cameras, and once you start install real cameras you'll realize that you never have enough.
Fake cameras does one thing only .... deter petty thieves.
Real cameras does two, deter petty thieves and catch real ones.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by natedj:

I would not waste my time with fake cameras, and once you start install real cameras you'll realize that you never have enough.

You could do both.

Bill B

@fnds.com
This thread reminds me of a joke....

Old Vic, the farmer, has a watermelon patch and when he checks on their welfare he discovers that some of the local children have been helping themselves on a regular basis. Old Vic thinks hard of different ways to discourage this very unsatisfactory situation. Eventually he decides to put up a sign that says: 'Warning! One of these watermelons contains poison.'

Old Vic smiles smugly as he watches the youngsters run off the next evening without stealing any of his melons. However, the next day when Old Vic returns to the watermelon patch he discovers, to his horror, that even though none of the watermelons have been taken, another sign has been erected that reads: 'Now there are two!'

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

The problem with dogs is they announce their presence and can be silenced in a number of ways most of which are not too healthy for the dog.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

jsouth
Jsouth

join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS
reply to antdude
We real signs given to us buy a security company guy who gave us a free estimate on securing our house. We also had the WPD come out and gave us a free security screening. I also keep the bushes trimmed back so that all windows can be seen easily and have security lights and others to remove any dark areas around the house.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to natedj
said by natedj:

A place I short-time contracted at was visited by the local police looking to get the footage from the side door camera, which faced a small shared parking lot where some crime had occurred overnight.

It was at this point the owner had to explain the camera was fake.

The owner was pretty proud of it, not realizing it only fooled the cops and did not deter the crime.

So he puts a similar fake system in his vacation cabin, but also adds the fake barking dog alarm. Soon enough, someone broke into the place and trashed it. They also put a bullet through the dog alarm.

/TrueStory

-Jim

skrud

join:2002-05-19
Barrington, IL
reply to antdude
I would think that most break-ins happen when people are not home. to tired to google stats.

If somebody wants to get in they will.

I think most theives are lazy and will go to the easiest place.So if you make it harder for them they will move on to easeir pickings.

I got a Rott. Does not play well with others.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to antdude
i use a combination of real cameras, an alarm system, my AR15, and my H&K P30L.

i luckily haven't needed the AR or the P30L yet, and the camera system sent one scumbag to jail LOL.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Sc0tt:

i use a combination of real cameras, an alarm system, my AR15, and my H&K P30L.

i luckily haven't needed the AR or the P30L yet, and the camera system sent one scumbag to jail LOL.

Was it after that scumbag stole stuff?

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ

1 recommendation

no----luckily before. there's a huge heroin problem in my area, so i figured i'd take precautions.

.......i'll throw the video up on youtube later and link it. his girl went to the clink too----you'll see her drive down the street after him blacked out in a jeep. that's how the cops knew who it was------they knew her truck

as for the guns, it's my hobby. i also hunt. i've had guns since i was a wee little bastard LOL

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc8EY118···ure=plcp

here it is. angers me every time i see it LOL

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
So exactly what did they do that was illegal?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Stole a peek.

--
July is National Ice Cream Month
Expand your moderator at work

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Bob4

Re: Fake cameras, signs, noises, lights, etc.?

said by Bob4:

So exactly what did they do that was illegal?

you're kidding, right?

ever hear of trespassing? or attempted burglary? not to mention they robbed 15 cars in the neighborhood, and tried to rob my wifes truck and mine. i believe they also got conspiracy to commit theft, possession of stolen property, parole/probation violation, possession of narcotics and paraphenalia, and possibly a few other charges.

did you think they were placing church flyers on people's trucks in the middle of the night in their driveways with a blacked out car following them?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
I didn't know that looking in a car window was illegal. That's all your video shows.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Bob4:

I didn't know that looking in a car window was illegal. That's all your video shows.

No, the perp was "casing" the property to search for valuables, and the accomplice driver being involved adds a conspiracy charge. If still on parole, the perp cannot justify those types of actions as innocent.
They didn't have to actually break into either of Scott's vehicles to make a charge stick if they have any stolen property with them when stopped. The video would show continued criminal intent.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

i also have a no trespassing sign clearly posted on my property. added charge for said scumbag LOL.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by Sc0tt:

i also have a no trespassing sign clearly posted on my property. added charge for said scumbag LOL.

Get off my lawn!

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

How would you feel if someone was looking into your car window
... on your private property
... at 11:xx at night
... with get-away vehicle in tow

oh, and he was not just looking, I can clearly see where he tugged on the door handled and got denied.
--