Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Net Citizen

Premium Member

to Net Citizen

Re: [Serious] Mass shooting at Batman

said by Net Citizen:

Rather, I'm stating that ease of access to firearms can transform heated altercations into something that may conclude with someone's death.

And I countered with personal experiences where the consideration that the situation could escalate into something more serious dissuades people from engaging in heated altercations.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

And I countered with personal experiences where the consideration that the situation could escalate into something more serious dissuades people from engaging in heated altercations.

agreed...i work with several people who have their PAL license (and work at the range i am visiting in a couple of weeks)...none of them are "gun nuts" and wild west lunatics who would shoot up the place if someone didn't turn their blinker on in front of them.
Net Citizen
join:2009-01-22
Schenectady, NY

Net Citizen to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Net Citizen:

Rather, I'm stating that ease of access to firearms can transform heated altercations into something that may conclude with someone's death.

Fear of mutually assured destruction sounds like an ideal deterrent were it not for the fact that the reactions it draws aren't really consistent across the board.

The optimum scenario would suggest that participants in a heated incident are in the right frame of mind to consider the consequences of utilizing guns. Unfortunately, not everyone is always in the right frame of mind.

Rage is largely defined by a temporary onset of insanity; not a good mix when factoring in an accessible firearm. When just the squeeze of a trigger is enough to give someone the power of life and death, it only takes a fleeting second for an irrational mind to do just that. That's a significant difference when compared to a knife, a baseball bat or a fist being utilized as a weapon.

One could bring a baseball bat and knock someone out with it but to finish off a person with such a crude instrument requires a bit of forethought. Most individuals by then come to their senses and realize they've already made their point and to escalate it any further beyond assault would unleash the kind of backlash no one in their right mind would want. When a firearm is used in the heat of passion, it is already too little too late by the time the shooter realizes what they've done.

There have been a few cases where an argument took place and ended with one person walking away - only to have him return from his car with a loaded revolver to "conclude" session. What prompted this altercation in the first place? It's usually over something as silly as one guy taking another's parking space.