Search similar:

uniqs

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

2 routers help!

Hi guys, need help with a home networking issue

We have 2wire modem/router combo (locked) and im trying to add a new tp-link router, already flashed with dd-wrt

Now im trying to get both of these to work together but cant figure it out. For now, pppoe is done through the 2wire and i am able to access both devices and connect to the internet on both. My problem right now is i am trying to connect a torrent to download but it is not connecting, even though the tp link is on dmz on the 2wire.

Heres my setup: tp link connected from wan port to lan port on 2wire, 2wire doing pppoe, laptop/tablet connected via wifi to tp-link

Im trying to make this seamless by using the tp link for all the wireless needs at home, not sure if pppoe needs to be done in the tp or not, and using the 2wire as a modem only. I really am stuck! Now i am also able to connect to the 2wire config interface via wifi but not the tplink.

Any help?
Thanks!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by OverrRyde:

Heres my setup: tp link connected from wan port to lan port on 2wire, 2wire doing pppoe, laptop/tablet connected via wifi to tp-link

Try switching from WAN to LAN on 2 wire and connecting it LAN to LAN. Then connect laptop to Wireless. Make sure the TP isn't doing PPPoE, either.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

Ok, trying it now.

Not sure what to set the tplink as. Does it do DHCP or does the 2wire do it? Thats another part confusing me

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

2 Wire. What you really need is a switch. Let the 2Wire handle the wireless. Don't know why you want the TP to handle wireless.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

Main reason was for range and N, the wire is G

Changing lan to lan worked, however cannot access the ddwrt page now over wireless!
activoice
join:2008-02-10
York, ON

activoice to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
I think what you're trying to do is setup the TP Link as a Wireless Access Point (using DDWRT on the TPLink)

Follow this guide:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· ss_Point

(make sure that the TP Link is not set to the same IP address as the 2Wire)

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

hmm yes i think that is what i want to do.

I have not used DSL in a long time and for some reason i could not figure out how to make this work. Now doing the above, am i going to encouter NAT or IP assignment problems? In my mind, the way it played out was the TPLink router handled everything (DHCP, PPPOE, etc.) and the 2Wire simply acted as a modem. I remember last time is used DSL was with an old speedstream 5200 but i really cant remember how it was setup!
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
The 2Wire is notoriously garbage. Completely locked, and no wireless "N" support.

What I would do, is go and buy a cheap DSL modem or buy one on Kijiji. Most are around $50 at Canada Computers, or other such shops.

Plug it in, and connect your TP-Link router to it. Have the TP-Link pass all the PPPoE info. Problem solved.

If you don't want to buy the modem, search DSL Reports on how to put the 2Wire in Bridge mode and turn off the wireless.

If you do want to buy the modem, I can recommend the Thomson 516. Used it, and very reliable. Decent price as well. And yours to keep.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
A router behind a router works very well.

The setup here is shown below.

Please read ALL of the following BEFORE starting.

Make sure that you have your b1xxxxxx login and password for the 2Wire available.

I always suggest that you disconnect all cables and turn everything off first. Restarting the devices clears all the buffers.

Start with the 2Wire.

1. With only the telephone wire connected; restart the 2Wire and wait 2 - 3 minutes for the device to start.
2. Reset the 2Wire by holding the reset button for a minimum of 10 seconds and release. Wait for 2 - 3 minutes for the 2Wire to reset and restart.
3. Connect one computer to the 2Wire and start that computer.
4. Login to the 2Wire at 192.168.2.1 and the 2Wire should take you through the authentication procedure. Be patient and wait. This could take 10 minutes.
5. While the 2Wire is resetting and restarting; restart the router.
6. After the router restarts; 2 - 3 minutes; reset the router by holding the reset button for a minimum of 10 seconds and wait again 2 - 3 minutes.
7. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer connected to the 2Wire and plug that cable into your router.
8. Check the IP address of the router and make sure it is not the same as the 2Wire. If it is set it to 192.168.0.1 or something similar.
9. Restart the 2Wire and wait. The only cables connected to the 2Wire should be the power cord and the phone wire.
10. When the 2Wire has restarted; connect an Ethernet cable from the WAN port on your router to any LAN port on the 2Wire.

From start to finish this is a 15 minute procedure. The first time you do this will take longer. Restarting devices and then resetting devices clears the buffers in each of the devices.

I have been using a D-Link DIR-825 behind a 2Wire for several years without any issues. The TP-Link should work with as well with TP-Link firmware.

Some notes:
1. The current version of the firmware in the 2Wire is 6.1.5.74-enh.tm or something close.
2. The previous version was 5.x.x.xx. Bell controls the version installed and it will be automatically upgraded from version 5.x. . . . . . .
3. Login to the 2Wire and turn off wireless which may be turned on by default.
4. Login to you router and set the appropriate encryption (WPA2 with AES) and set an appropriate password.
5. Set access passwords in the 2Wire and router.

Good luck.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde to camelot

to camelot
said by camelot:

The 2Wire is notoriously garbage. Completely locked, and no wireless "N" support.

What I would do, is go and buy a cheap DSL modem or buy one on Kijiji. Most are around $50 at Canada Computers, or other such shops.

Plug it in, and connect your TP-Link router to it. Have the TP-Link pass all the PPPoE info. Problem solved.

If you don't want to buy the modem, search DSL Reports on how to put the 2Wire in Bridge mode and turn off the wireless.

If you do want to buy the modem, I can recommend the Thomson 516. Used it, and very reliable. Decent price as well. And yours to keep.

Hmm yes, i was thinking of ditching the 2Wire completely, i just hate how it works. the 516 idea is good, which reminds me i think i may have a 516 somewhere in the crawl space! I might just look it up tonight.

Do i need to contact bell to tell them about the new modem or just play-n-play?
said by RickStep:

A router behind a router works very well.

The setup here is shown below.

Those instruction seem good, i may just try that as a last resort. I hate how something so simple to do with a regular modem is just complicated 10-fold by the 2wire.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

said by OverrRyde:

Plug -n- play. Hang on to the 2Wire because Bell will ask for it back should you leave them.

I'd take the 2Wire completely out of the picture. Bell has no idea what modem you use. Once you remove it, you'll have no need to re-wire everything using 2 routers.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by camelot:

said by OverrRyde:

Plug -n- play. Hang on to the 2Wire because Bell will ask for it back should you leave them.

I'd take the 2Wire completely out of the picture. Bell has no idea what modem you use. Once you remove it, you'll have no need to re-wire everything using 2 routers.

Sounds good! Hopefully i still have the 516! If not, CanadaComputer seems to carry it for 50$, not to bad!

Are the 516's good for fibe should the household decide to go that route in the future?

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i always found the tp link to be garbage

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

Using RickStep's instruction, the 2Wire still handles the PPPOE right? If i were to use the 516, im assuming the TPLink would handle PPPOE at that point?

That's how i remember DSL back when i had had 7-8 years ago. I thought in this case the tp-link would still handle the pppoe but alas, this is not working for me, i might be doing something wrong. What if disable DHCP and firewall on the 2wire along with disabling wireless, wire from the 2wire to tplink wan, enable DHCP and PPPOE in the tplink, should that work?

I will look for the 516 tonight but i will give it a shot again with the 2Wire.

BTW: the tp-link is on DDWRT and so far for use, it is feature-plenty and seems like a great piece so far.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

RickStep

Premium Member

said by OverrRyde:

Using RickStep's instruction, the 2Wire still handles the PPPOE right? If i were to use the 516, im assuming the TPLink would handle PPPOE at that point?

If you want the login from the TP-Link; use my instructions except skip 3 & 4.

The issue then is to restart & reset the router; make sure the IP address of the router is different from the 2Wire.

Login to the TP-Link and enter the Bell b1xxxxxx and password in the router and wait for the information to be saved in the TP-Link and restart the TP-Link if it doesn't restart itself.

Then and only then; connect an Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the TP-Link to any LAN port on the 2Wire.

Log into the 2Wire at 192.168.2.1 and follow the on screen instructions; but read all of the options before you click a solution

Rick
lucca5
join:2012-08-10

lucca5

Hi

I was lucky enough to find RickSteps instructions when I was setting up my TP-link router behind the Bell 2wire router. I suspect Bell has made it easier that with their previous firmware (maybe for their own reasons), but I didn't get or need any Resolve or Ignore screens for a Router-behind-router set up. Here were my steps:

1. Shut off the wireless on all devices that get an IP from the 2wire

2. Unplug all Ethernet and power cables from both routers

3. Plug an Ethernet cable from any LAN port on 2wire into the WAN port of the TP-link

4. Power-up both modems, let the 2wire login as normal. It will provide an IP address to the TP-link

5. Plug all Ethernet devices previously connected to the 2wire into the LAN ports of the TP-link

6. Go to the Admin page of the 2wire and Disable the wireless broadcast. Now only the TP-link is broadcasting.

7. Set your TP-link with your preferred SSID, password, etc. No need to enter PPoE info like Bell password - the 2wire is still managing that. I left most connection options on AUTO. Save the changes - it will ask you to reboot the TP-link, which you should do

8. Fire up your wireless devices and choose to connect to the SSID of the TP-link. Enter the password you set (if any) in step 7. The devices will get a new IP from the TP-link and voila - wireless N

Thanks again to RickSteps for getting me going.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to OverrRyde

MVM

to OverrRyde
There is another option as well. Use the 2wire in bridge mode (set to factory default) and do all the authentication with the TP-link router. The 2wire becomes a "dumb" modem...the wireless can be shut off prior to connecting the TP-Link so it will not interfere. Another option would be to obtain a Sagemcom 4300 from a Bell technician as it is a "bridge only" modem with no wireless capability...Bell Direct might be able to help with that.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to Pauly

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

i always found the tp link to be garbage

Worked fine for my family when they were using it. They had a Wii, a DS, and a PC on wifi, and one PC on LAN.