Search similar:

uniqs

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

modems with 8 channel downstream bonding

I am shopping for a modem capable of bonding 8 channels on the downstream. I am only locating two models, the Linksys DPC3008-CC and Motorola SBG6580. are there any modems I'm missing? I am mostly interested in stand alone modems without built in routers or gateways, but feel free to compile a list of everything out there.

next question is how does the Linksys perform on Comcast? its got unfavorable reviews on amazon, everyone says it disconnects. but is that a problem with the modem or something wrong with the line or signal? is anyone using it successfully?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Zoom 5341J. Please note the "J" in this model. Solid performer and endorsed by quite a few knowledgeable members here.

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to w0g

Premium Member

to w0g
I've been really happy with the 5341J. »willscorner.net/t/zoom.png

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Zoom 5341J. Please note the "J" in this model. Solid performer and endorsed by quite a few knowledgeable members here.

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j

Agreed here too. It's one of the best and most current modems on the shelf that does 8 channels. If not the only one I've seen on the shelf that does 8 channels.

Go for the Zoom model 5341J as recommended. You will not regret it. And from the look of it, it's getting cheaper.

w0g
o.O
Springfield, OR

w0g

the zoom modem looks nice. looks like a broadcom powered modem, which I trust equally or more so than Motorola and Cisco. and its cheaper.

issue is I plan to sign up through comcastspecial.com. they provide a free linksys/Cisco dpc3008-cc. its 8 channel but people indicate it has stability issues. I might sell it immediately in favor of getting the zoom if it still has issues. does anyone have it working yet? did the recent firmware updates do anything to fix it?

Cisco traditionally has inferior or problematic consumer gear, but all their docsis modems going back to 2010 support 8 channel bonding. I am really surprised their modems aren't stable at this point..

IT engineer
@comcast.net

IT engineer

Anon

said by w0g:

the zoom modem looks nice. looks like a broadcom powered modem, which I trust equally or more so than Motorola and Cisco.

Why would you trust Broadcom more than Cisco??

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to w0g

to w0g
I've had the DPC3008 since March of this year and it has been rock solid with no disconnects at all.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of positive remarks about the zoom 5341J and I have a question.
The only cons on the modem I could find is it runs pretty hot. Is that true? If it does run hot, that could be a bad thing over the long haul.
My son is switching from DSL to Comcast and will be buying a modem rather than renting one.
I have a SB 6120 that hasn't had so much as a burp in 2 years, that is what I suggested to him, but if the Zoom 5341J is a better buy that is the way I will tell him to go.
I see it is only $69.95 at Amazon.
Thanks.

w0g
o.O
Springfield, OR

w0g to IT engineer

to IT engineer
said by IT engineer :

Why would you trust Broadcom more than Cisco??

Cisco stuff may or might not be the standard in Internet backbone routing and switching technology, though you might worry about government backdoors and exploits being a problem. that perception might be entirely due to their brand and marketing with little substance. their consumer grade stuff is seriously weak, with poor driver, software, and firmware support, and they tend to overly dumb things down and cut back and limit function. from everything I see from broadcom, they design a lot of the chipsets that Cisco itself sometimes uses (at least in their routers and access points), and broadcom tends to have very solid performance orientated hardware. their drivers and software are highly efficient in design and minimalist without bloat. Other than Cisco having superior marketing, there's not much special about their products or hardware, and their consumer stuff that I have experience with always falls short.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of positive remarks about the zoom 5341J and I have a question.
The only cons on the modem I could find is it runs pretty hot. Is that true? If it does run hot, that could be a bad thing over the long haul.
My son is switching from DSL to Comcast and will be buying a modem rather than renting one.
I have a SB 6120 that hasn't had so much as a burp in 2 years, that is what I suggested to him, but if the Zoom 5341J is a better buy that is the way I will tell him to go.
I see it is only $69.95 at Amazon.
Thanks.

I don't know about any temperature issues. I'm sure someone will pip in on whether or they have had any issues or not with being hot. Could be just the way they place it. Mine have always set upright, not sitting down on the table.

If you're suggesting a modem to buy for your son, go for the zoom. It does 8 channels right out the box and is a better tech all around. The SB6120 from Motorola isn't made anymore and has been replaced by the SB6121, but the only thing that has really changed is the casing, the guts are the same between the two modems.

If you have a choice between a modem that does 4x4 and one that does 8x4, go with 8 every time. Also, if the future proofing doesn't convince you, go and price the Zoom model J and a SB6121 and see.

Best Buy.com lists the SB6121 for 100 bucks. The Zoom model J at the Amazon link is 70 and is better from a tech point.

Hope that helps you and your son make a decision. Be sure to come back with the news and screen shots. We wanna drool over that 8 goodness.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks Chris.
My son is here now and after looking at everything online and all the good remarks on this thread about the Zoom 5341J, he will order it from Amazon as soon as I get off the computer.
I had actually thought about replacing my Motorola 6120 with the 5341J, but I live in a rural area with very few people on my node so don't think it would help in my case, but for $69.95 it is very tempting and it would future proof me for whatever comes along. so we may just order two 5341Js and I can sell my SB6120.
Thanks again.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

Thanks Chris.
My son is here now and after looking at everything online and all the good remarks on this thread about the Zoom 5341J, he will order it from Amazon as soon as I get off the computer.
I had actually thought about replacing my Motorola 6120 with the 5341J, but I live in a rural area with very few people on my node so don't think it would help in my case, but for $69.95 it is very tempting and it would future proof me for whatever comes along. so we may just order two 5341Js and I can sell my SB6120.
Thanks again.

Cool. He won't regret it. I hope he finds his connection more stable in the least and faster as well. And that would also be a cool idea on your part. You'd be future proofed to at least 300, maybe even a little more. And if you take a look at your present stats on the downstream channels and see Channel 8 anywhere in your 4 channel setup, you already have 8 channels and could put the Zoom to immediate use channel wise.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

We ended up ordering two 5341Js. Anxious now to see if there is any change on my setup.

Thanks Again.

w0g
o.O
Springfield, OR

w0g

said by Wayne99021:

We ended up ordering two 5341Js. Anxious now to see if there is any change on my setup.

Thanks Again.

probably going to be identical in every way, possibily worse if everything was already working well (don't fix what ain't broken type thing, unless you want to screw it up..).

speed won't change any unless the four channels you use now are congested, giving you the ability to receive on more channels and greater chance they aren't all being utilized at the same time. traffic shaping and caps will be the same... expect nothing more than the possibility of a bigger pool of bandwidth to swim in. think a single car moving from a four lane freeway to an eight..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Thanks Again.

Awesome. And you're welcome. Be sure to come back and post screenshots of the before and after, along with your experience in getting hooked up.

For you, since you're just swapping out modems, right? I suggest you talk to Comcast Steve about getting provisioned. It might be easier then talking to someone on the phone.

Go here: »Comcast Direct post your account details, contact info etc. and explain your situation. He's magic when cutting right through all the tape.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

For you, since you're just swapping out modems, right? I suggest you talk to Comcast Steve about getting provisioned. It might be easier then talking to someone on the phone.

If you plug a laptop directly into the modem, you should hit a walled-garden that allows you to self-provision.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to w0g

Premium Member

to w0g
Been having great luck with my Motorola SB6141. Surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet. Was tough to get at retail although I got lucky when Amazon had it for sale.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by swintec:

Been having great luck with my Motorola SB6141. Surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet. Was tough to get at retail although I got lucky when Amazon had it for sale.

Yes, that is Motorola's 8 channel modem answer for the competition, yes?

Got screenies you can post? I'd love to see them

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

That modem, the SB6141, is not on the Comcast approved modem list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to Wayne99021

MVM

to Wayne99021
Mine does not run hot at all.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks all for the input.
johkal. The heat thing was my only concern so that makes me more at ease.
When installing modems I will call Comcast tech. support to give them the mac address and let them provision it.
The modems should be here the 26th or 27th so will post back on how things went.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Ripper

Premium Member

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

That modem, the SB6141, is not on the Comcast approved modem list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Oh yea, oops. Im surprised, as I have read it is essentially the same as the 6121 and that is on the approved list.
swintec

swintec to Ripper

Premium Member

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

According to this: »www.motorola.com/staticf ··· S-EN.pdf I am even more surprised the 6141 is not on the approved list and the 6121 is.

"Easily add the SB6141 to a deployed family of SB6120s and SB6121s, all three models utilize the same firmware
image."

Must be more to it I guess or it is to new?

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to w0g

to w0g
Anyone have any experience activating the Zoom 5341J on a Business account? I see the top Amazon reviewer of it was able to. I'm wondering if he just got lucky or if they're easing up on their restrictions of cable modems for Business customers. I'd rather not get a SB6121 with only four down.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

You can do it as long as you don't have statics.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh

Premium Member

I have not seen anyone here confirm that the 5341J works with Business class, but if someone can get theirs on a Business class account without any special work (other than just calling in) then I would like them to post about it.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Got the Zoom 5341J installed today and noticed I am getting 8 downstream channels now and my SNR numbers have improved on all channels.
Still only 2 upstream channels.
I see that they have pads on the bottom of the modem so assume they want it laid flat.
I had Comcast provision it with no trouble and took about 15 minutes.
Was surprised that I got outsourced tech. support? first time that has happened.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

My Zoom 5341J came with a small plastic clip that when attached allows the modem to stand on edge without tipping over.

The way it came originally packaged, this clip was not exactly obvious. You may have missed it also.

I run mine flat, but it seems to me it would run a bit cooler when stood on edge.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Looked in the box again and no clip.
Wouldn't be at all hard to make something and I would much rather have it setting on end than flat.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

Looked in the box again and no clip.
Wouldn't be at all hard to make something and I would much rather have it setting on end than flat.

Look in the brown folded cardboard...it's hidden in there . I didn't see it at first either. It's just a little black clip.