Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to Johkal

Re: modems with 8 channel downstream bonding

Thanks all for the input.
johkal. The heat thing was my only concern so that makes me more at ease.
When installing modems I will call Comcast tech. support to give them the mac address and let them provision it.
The modems should be here the 26th or 27th so will post back on how things went.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Ripper
said by Ripper:

That modem, the SB6141, is not on the Comcast approved modem list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Oh yea, oops. Im surprised, as I have read it is essentially the same as the 6121 and that is on the approved list.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Ripper
said by Ripper:

That modem, the SB6141, is not on the Comcast approved modem list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

According to this: »www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Vid···S-EN.pdf I am even more surprised the 6141 is not on the approved list and the 6121 is.

"Easily add the SB6141 to a deployed family of SB6120s and SB6121s, all three models utilize the same firmware
image."

Must be more to it I guess or it is to new?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to w0g
Anyone have any experience activating the Zoom 5341J on a Business account? I see the top Amazon reviewer of it was able to. I'm wondering if he just got lucky or if they're easing up on their restrictions of cable modems for Business customers. I'd rather not get a SB6121 with only four down.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
You can do it as long as you don't have statics.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
I have not seen anyone here confirm that the 5341J works with Business class, but if someone can get theirs on a Business class account without any special work (other than just calling in) then I would like them to post about it.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA
Got the Zoom 5341J installed today and noticed I am getting 8 downstream channels now and my SNR numbers have improved on all channels.
Still only 2 upstream channels.
I see that they have pads on the bottom of the modem so assume they want it laid flat.
I had Comcast provision it with no trouble and took about 15 minutes.
Was surprised that I got outsourced tech. support? first time that has happened.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
My Zoom 5341J came with a small plastic clip that when attached allows the modem to stand on edge without tipping over.

The way it came originally packaged, this clip was not exactly obvious. You may have missed it also.

I run mine flat, but it seems to me it would run a bit cooler when stood on edge.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA
Looked in the box again and no clip.
Wouldn't be at all hard to make something and I would much rather have it setting on end than flat.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Wayne99021:

Looked in the box again and no clip.
Wouldn't be at all hard to make something and I would much rather have it setting on end than flat.

Look in the brown folded cardboard...it's hidden in there . I didn't see it at first either. It's just a little black clip.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Wayne99021
Click for full size
Did you look in the folded cardboard insert in the box bottom. The clip was inside the folded portion on mine.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
lol...beatcha...but I didn't take pics
I run mine on end...but that little clip is.......too little...

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I looked at the clip and how it fit on the modem and tossed it back into the box. Total kluge.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
That clip is worthless. I didn't use mine.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA
reply to graysonf
Thanks for that picture of the clip and where to find it.
I did find it and it is a very cheezy way to make the modem set vertical, but where my modem sets, it will never be moved so that crappy little clip works OK.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I think they hide it well so nobody will find it. Can't complain about it if you don't even know it exists.

Enjoy your modem.

ihave5341J

@dtra.mil

1 edit
reply to Wayne99021
I have had the Zoom 5341J for over 3 months now and I love it. No heat issues and just to prevent early modem death I decided to insure my investment with purchasing a good quality surge protector with EM filtering isolated banks to clean up any RF ripple on both the AC and the Coaxial lines.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Mine does not run hot at all.

The same here Johkal, my 5341J runs cool.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

That clip is worthless. I didn't use mine.

The same here bro, all it does it "fit" into the vents on the modem, kind of half-hearted clip effort