spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BewareofDoug
join:2001-08-07
Englewood, CO

BewareofDoug

[Qwest] 40/20 DSL just ordered

I'd been with Qwest for almost forever, it seems. Had DSL on CAP when it seemed like a screaming connection....

I've been on Comcast for a year at 25Mbit or so. Qwest maxed at 7M at my location, actually got about close to 6Mbit. After moving to Comcast, I said I wouldn't switch back unless I had higher speed, lower latency.

Well, my 1 year comcast intro price expired, so I checked things out again. I have 40/20 available! Orded it, so waiting to see how it goes, and if I really get that.
bikenski
join:2010-06-22
Denver, CO

bikenski

Made the Comcast --> Qwest switch about a year ago when 40/20 became available in my neck of the woods, and don't have any regrets. Consistently see 37 Mbps download speeds, and unlike Comcast, there's no "PowerBoost" that expires after a few seconds.

Having the node right across the street certainly helps the performance and reliability in my case, so you may or may not be as lucky.

noven
@qwest.net

noven

Anon

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7868.png

40/20 in Portland. Very happy to tell Comcast to eat a bag of dicks.
DNSguy
join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO

DNSguy to BewareofDoug

to BewareofDoug
Good luck.
I just dropped the 40/5 service from Qwest (Century Link) and moved to Comcast because it was un-reliable.
It would work well for several weeks, then I would have several days of modem drops, retrains, modem re-syncing at lower speeds, packet loss. Then it would stop and the service would be good for a few more weeks.
I had 2 modems, a port swap, and a tech visit. According to the tech, my signal strengths were very strong both at the NID and at my modem jack.
Since it really seemed like they would not be able to fix the problem, I switched since I need reliability more than speed.
cd1000
join:2002-01-26
Nashville, TN

cd1000

Well good luck. I just signed up for 40/5 as I'm paying so much $$ for comcast 50/10. Upload and download are 38/4.8 average and I was seeing 60ms pings during the day. Tried xbox live last night and it was a disaster...massive difference from comcast..crazy lag. I'm going to try again tonight and will hook the xbox up directly to the m1000 to take my router out of the equation(yes I was hard wired). I was pretty let down last night and then I see all the threads about late night ping and speed issues. I'll test again tonight and watch pings more closely after 8pm. I will be sticking with comcast unless things go better tonight.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to BewareofDoug

to BewareofDoug
Hi,

Glad to hear you will be our customer once again. Let us know if you ever need help with your service talktous@centurylink.com

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
Centurylink Help Team
talktous@centurylink.com

BewareofDoug
join:2001-08-07
Englewood, CO

BewareofDoug

Very happy with the end product so far! 40/20 is total overkill for what I probably need. But at $30/mo for a year, I couldn't pass it up.

I sometimes use a softphone for work over VPN. With Comcast, apparently my voice quality would often suck. Haven't heard any complaints since I switched. Could be a fluke, but a good sign at least.

Ordering process sucked; same as Qwest of old. Ok, maybe a little better. I was given the option to lease or buy the modem from Centurylink. I was NOT given the choice to bring my own, so I chose lease. 5pm on install day came, no modem. Called, and was told I had chosen to 'bring my own'. Rather strange, as that was not an option on the web order form....

Anyway, after ripping the poor CSR a new one, I apologized, since it certainly was not her fault. She was very helpful trying to tell me where and how to get my own modem so I didn't have to wait to have one shipped. Regretably, I had to go to Best Buy, and they ended up going out of stock from the time I checked and when I showed up. I talked to someone who swore another modem would work just fine. (I knew better, but it was just before closing time, and too late to go to another store) The next day, after way too much time, and two too many visits to Best Buy, I was up and going.

Here's the funny thing - Comcast was down the morning after Centurylink provisioned my line, but I had no modem! So I ordered my modem for pickup at a different Best Buy using my phone....

If only all Telco's had the ordering/provision process down like DirecTV does. Now THAT is a well oiled machine. I would say I had a fantastic customer experience there. They emailed and called me with reminders on what was coming, what I needed to have done, and when, etc. A checklist, warnings about things that might cause problems, all of that. I'd buy their stock, if I thought there was a future in satellite delivery of entertainment services..

In summary, in regards to the end product? It just works. That's what I want from my internet -- an invisible pipe that I never have to think about.
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

Wish we had 40 Mbps here. Still stuck on 10 Mbps which hasn't changed in almost 5 years.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

10 is good compared to what i get here. 3-5 And it isn't stable if there is any hint of a thunderstorm
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

Well i have to say that my connection here has been pretty stable for the most part except for last weeks outage.
crossconnect6
join:2012-08-15
Chandler, AZ

crossconnect6 to BewareofDoug

to BewareofDoug
HI all, phx az here, start working for a contractor sept 10 as an I&R tech for POTS, DSL, etc. I worked back in the 90's for U.S. west. as usuall the cable plant was pretty bad even though i did get alot of work done and did great install's it was difficult providing service with bad OSP.