All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

How is it over the top when they have actual service with FTTH ?

avenison
join:2009-12-10

1 edit

avenison

@kovy: I believe the distinction HeadSpinning is making is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by avenison:

@kovy: I believe the difference HeadSpinning is pointing out is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?

The service is exactly like the Bell FTTH service, a ONT with POTS.

I believe it was oricom.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison

They do have one fibre package listed (@oricom.ca), but it's a 5/5Mbit 500GB/mo business package... for $595 per month.