spc
uniqs
treyatl2006
join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA

treyatl2006 to robertt202

to robertt202

Re: [Modem] 3347-02 wireless connection speed

If you still want to use your linksys router, you can put the 3347 into bridge mode.
robertt202
join:2012-07-22

robertt202

thanks trey and netfixer - and it is a D-link and not a Linksys. Anybody have ideas as to why the 18mbps on the 3347? Another question, can I use one of the 2-wire modems I see on craiglist? Would it be easier to configure and could it handle the 6mbps traffic. I am a home user that bought business service because of there are no data caps.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by robertt202:

thanks trey and netfixer - and it is a D-link and not a Linksys. Anybody have ideas as to why the 18mbps on the 3347? Another question, can I use one of the 2-wire modems I see on craiglist? Would it be easier to configure and could it handle the 6mbps traffic. I am a home user that bought business service because of there are no data caps.

As for why you don't see the same connect speed on the 3347 as you did on the DI-524, the answer is different manufacturers use different methods. With some wireless clients, the 3347 might have faster connect speeds than the DI-524.

I wouldn't recommend a 2wire router someone I didn't like.

If you don't have a static IP account with AT&T, then the link below this paragraph will show you how to set the 3347 to bridge mode (although my recommendation would still be to just disable the WiFi radio in the 3347 and use the DI-524 as a wireless access point). There are multi-step ways to put the 3347 into bridge mode from the html menu, but the telnet method in the link below is actually simpler and less likely to brick the device.

»Re: [Modem] How to Setup Netopia 3347NWG-006

You will of course, need to setup your DI-524 to do the PPPoE authentication after the 3347 is in bridge mode.

EDIT: I almost forgot this warning about doing the PPPoE in your own router with AT&T:
It is possible that your DI-524 may not be compatible with the PPPoE method currently in use by AT&T. I used to have two AT&T DSL circuits connected to a dual WAN DI-LB604 with the Netopia 2210 "modems" in bridge mode, then suddenly both of my connections went dead. The problem was that AT&T had arbitrarily changed their PPPoE implementation, and the D-Link DI-LB604 was no longer compatible (they and BellSouth have done this numerous times, rendering multiple routers from multiple vendors inoperable as PPPoE clients).