Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313

Re: modems with 8 channel downstream bonding

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of positive remarks about the zoom 5341J and I have a question.
The only cons on the modem I could find is it runs pretty hot. Is that true? If it does run hot, that could be a bad thing over the long haul.
My son is switching from DSL to Comcast and will be buying a modem rather than renting one.
I have a SB 6120 that hasn't had so much as a burp in 2 years, that is what I suggested to him, but if the Zoom 5341J is a better buy that is the way I will tell him to go.
I see it is only $69.95 at Amazon.
Thanks.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but there are a lot of positive remarks about the zoom 5341J and I have a question.
The only cons on the modem I could find is it runs pretty hot. Is that true? If it does run hot, that could be a bad thing over the long haul.
My son is switching from DSL to Comcast and will be buying a modem rather than renting one.
I have a SB 6120 that hasn't had so much as a burp in 2 years, that is what I suggested to him, but if the Zoom 5341J is a better buy that is the way I will tell him to go.
I see it is only $69.95 at Amazon.
Thanks.

I don't know about any temperature issues. I'm sure someone will pip in on whether or they have had any issues or not with being hot. Could be just the way they place it. Mine have always set upright, not sitting down on the table.

If you're suggesting a modem to buy for your son, go for the zoom. It does 8 channels right out the box and is a better tech all around. The SB6120 from Motorola isn't made anymore and has been replaced by the SB6121, but the only thing that has really changed is the casing, the guts are the same between the two modems.

If you have a choice between a modem that does 4x4 and one that does 8x4, go with 8 every time. Also, if the future proofing doesn't convince you, go and price the Zoom model J and a SB6121 and see.

Best Buy.com lists the SB6121 for 100 bucks. The Zoom model J at the Amazon link is 70 and is better from a tech point.

Hope that helps you and your son make a decision. Be sure to come back with the news and screen shots. We wanna drool over that 8 goodness.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks Chris.
My son is here now and after looking at everything online and all the good remarks on this thread about the Zoom 5341J, he will order it from Amazon as soon as I get off the computer.
I had actually thought about replacing my Motorola 6120 with the 5341J, but I live in a rural area with very few people on my node so don't think it would help in my case, but for $69.95 it is very tempting and it would future proof me for whatever comes along. so we may just order two 5341Js and I can sell my SB6120.
Thanks again.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

Thanks Chris.
My son is here now and after looking at everything online and all the good remarks on this thread about the Zoom 5341J, he will order it from Amazon as soon as I get off the computer.
I had actually thought about replacing my Motorola 6120 with the 5341J, but I live in a rural area with very few people on my node so don't think it would help in my case, but for $69.95 it is very tempting and it would future proof me for whatever comes along. so we may just order two 5341Js and I can sell my SB6120.
Thanks again.

Cool. He won't regret it. I hope he finds his connection more stable in the least and faster as well. And that would also be a cool idea on your part. You'd be future proofed to at least 300, maybe even a little more. And if you take a look at your present stats on the downstream channels and see Channel 8 anywhere in your 4 channel setup, you already have 8 channels and could put the Zoom to immediate use channel wise.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

We ended up ordering two 5341Js. Anxious now to see if there is any change on my setup.

Thanks Again.

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

said by Wayne99021:

We ended up ordering two 5341Js. Anxious now to see if there is any change on my setup.

Thanks Again.

probably going to be identical in every way, possibily worse if everything was already working well (don't fix what ain't broken type thing, unless you want to screw it up..).

speed won't change any unless the four channels you use now are congested, giving you the ability to receive on more channels and greater chance they aren't all being utilized at the same time. traffic shaping and caps will be the same... expect nothing more than the possibility of a bigger pool of bandwidth to swim in. think a single car moving from a four lane freeway to an eight..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Thanks Again.

Awesome. And you're welcome. Be sure to come back and post screenshots of the before and after, along with your experience in getting hooked up.

For you, since you're just swapping out modems, right? I suggest you talk to Comcast Steve about getting provisioned. It might be easier then talking to someone on the phone.

Go here: »Comcast Direct post your account details, contact info etc. and explain your situation. He's magic when cutting right through all the tape.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

For you, since you're just swapping out modems, right? I suggest you talk to Comcast Steve about getting provisioned. It might be easier then talking to someone on the phone.

If you plug a laptop directly into the modem, you should hit a walled-garden that allows you to self-provision.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to Wayne99021

MVM

to Wayne99021
Mine does not run hot at all.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks all for the input.
johkal. The heat thing was my only concern so that makes me more at ease.
When installing modems I will call Comcast tech. support to give them the mac address and let them provision it.
The modems should be here the 26th or 27th so will post back on how things went.

ihave5341J
@dtra.mil

1 edit

ihave5341J to Wayne99021

Anon

to Wayne99021
I have had the Zoom 5341J for over 3 months now and I love it. No heat issues and just to prevent early modem death I decided to insure my investment with purchasing a good quality surge protector with EM filtering isolated banks to clean up any RF ripple on both the AC and the Coaxial lines.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Mine does not run hot at all.

The same here Johkal, my 5341J runs cool.