JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

[Bill] Suggestions on lowering my bill?

Click for full size
My Comcast bill has gone up 30.00 this month.
I have triple play with HDDVR, phone and net.
I'm considering dumping the phone. I never use it. and lowering the TV services, and dumping the DVR since everything is on demand now.
Or I could switch to the Hopper.
Any suggestions?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Look into directv as well. If you are a sports fan directv is the provider for you. Except they don't have ESPn goal line .
Also call Comcast to see why it went up . If they won't help make it lower then call satellite and see what deal they will give you. Then call Comcast and talk to them and if they don't deal setup appointment for satellite. The go from there.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to JJV

Premium Member

to JJV
Mine did the same thing. They said I was on a promotion...yet I was never told that, and the promotion had expired.
I told them it was to much for what I have (and it was) and that I would like to cancel the tv service.
They then transferred me to someone else and they got me on a promotion for one year and HBO and Cinemax free for 3 months.
So I took it.

I swear I was not on a promotion to begin with. My bill has been the same for two years, or close to that. And never was I told I was on a promotion. I have been a customer for 11 years.
Also interesting that mine went up the same amt. on the same billing month as yours.

Just to mention, I was ready and would have dumped the tv service from them, and gone to Direct tv. I already had their service in the past and the dish is still out there waiting to be put in use.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to JJV

to JJV
Almost exactly what happened to me. Went up $30 and instead of asking opinions here - and there are many opinions here, some more informed than others - I just called Comcast, and my problem was solved in 2 minutes. I said "I'd like to understand why my bill went up $30," although I knew my promotion had expired. I didn't threaten to leave, just asked why. They immediately lowered my bill back to the previous level AND gave me a $10 month credit for 6 months.

The moral of the story - just call Comcast, be nice, be reasonable and you may be surprised. Of course, it could be that they were so easy because FIOS is an option here, but I never threatened to migrate.

Can't hurt to ask.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

They just offered to put me in a 2 year contract and lower it 20.00.

rej4sl
join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

rej4sl

Yup ours went up earlier in the year ... and they said we were on a 6 month deal. She agreed to put it back down again. Our promotion ended in August this year but we got a deal which is $20 more than we paid before but still an excellent deal for 12 more months.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
directv also has NFL ticket
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Sure they have sunday ticket and it cost almost as much as a actual ticket to a game.
uuslc
join:2009-06-13

uuslc to JJV

to JJV
The bottom line is when you call, go right to the option where you'd cancel. This gets you to the retention department. I've called every year for nine years and they've lowered it every time.

And don't let the DirecTV people sway you. DirecTV people think they have loads of channels we don't. At least that is what their teams try to tell you.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

said by uuslc:

And don't let the DirecTV people sway you. DirecTV people think they have loads of channels we don't. At least that is what their teams try to tell you.

Well, for sports, it is certainly true. They have dual feed HD for nearly every type of sport you'd be interested in.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to JJV

Anon

to JJV
Mine went up 50 (combo rate increase plus promotion expired). So, the end of last week I called Comcast up, as I have done for years, to renegotiate my bill which before had been successful. This time it didn't work.

I first connected to "questions about your bill" and (kindly) asked about my billing. They said my promotion had expired (which was true, I was on a promotion from last years' negotiation). It also upped me to the new price increase since my contract had ended. So, I asked if I could be put back to the last promotion, and the agent said flatly, "No". It was no longer available and then she also claimed I already was on a promotion and it was the cheapest. So, I asked to speak with "Retention", which I know is how this gamed is played.

Well, instead of transferring me to "Retention", the agent said, "I AM RETENTION", which I knew was BS (I called the main "billing questions" line and was never transferred). Although I had been respectful, she was pretty snappy. At this point I just said, "Oh, ok then I guess I'll have to cancel". Then she just flatly said, "What date do you want?". So I cancelled.

I've jumped through hoops for years with Comcast, and had actually finally gotten my bill fixed the previous year after a long term error that took rounds and rounds to finally correct (and ended up with a $400 credit it was so bad). I didn't have the heart to go through all that again and again since this agent was clearly BS'ing me that she was retention.

After pricing all around, I decided to get DishNetwork. I had it installed yesterday. I have never had satellite before (I didn't think I could get it too for years being under tall trees), so I have no idea if I am going to like this or not, or if choosing Dish was the right choice. (I really hope they get AMC back because I do like their shows), but the price was right. It was very close between that and DirectTV, but side by side there were some minor channel differences on packages that I personally wanted (without being pushed into the next package).

If you do price out other satellite services, put your package choice in the shopping cart so you can assess all the extra fees and costs.

Example: I've now got "the hopper" (whole house HD DVR), which says is free up to 5? TVs. The units are free, but the use (once you put it in the cart) is $7 a month for each TV.

That's $28 for my house. BUT, on comcast, I paid $17 for the DVR, $10 HD access fee, and $10 HD additional outlet so that's $37 - and the DVR only worked in one room, and the other 2 non HD TVs had those stupid DTAs which didn't get all the channels I paid for nor has a menu, nor DVR (which I don't care about but it's nice that I can watch and record in the other rooms and ALL the channels). BTW, even though the hopper is HD, and my other 2 tvs are old non digital tubes but it still works on them (they don't make that clear on the site).

Yes, I am in a promotion rate, but after it expires in a year, the price will still be $20 cheaper than Comcast. Downside, I am locked into a 2 year contract to get the hoppers and free HD for life thing (which also requires auto-bill).

Again, I have no idea if choosing DishNetwork was the right choice (and I've only played with it a little last night too) but I have been on cable service for 20 years in this house, and with Comcast since they bought out my cable company, and never been in love with the idea of satellite or having a dish on my roof (luckily for me it is on the backside on a lower roof you can't really see from the front), but I finally had it with Comcast.

If you want to know more about my experience so far, feel free to ask.

-Jim

Sorry for the long post, but glad to get that off my chest. I almost was going to post in Rants about Comcast after last week, lol.
JJV
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

For now I have gone to internet and limited cable. There's nothing to watch in the summer and I have a new Harley to ride.
Ill look into getting the Hopper this fall.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Sure they have sunday ticket and it cost almost as much as a actual ticket to a game.

Really? you can go to 8 home football games for 200-300 total for the season?

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to JJV

to JJV
drop voice , i pay $12 a month with phonepower , viatalk is lower. Mention that to them.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

said by rody_44:

And that's assuming you are paying for a ticket to a game for your home team. What if you're a fan of a team in another city? Gonna factor the plane ticket too?
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:

said by comp:

said by rody_44:

And that's assuming you are paying for a ticket to a game for your home team. What if you're a fan of a team in another city? Gonna factor the plane ticket too?

+1

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to JALevinworth

MVM

to JALevinworth
I hope it all works out for you, but the mistake you made when calling Comcast was to not go directly to the "I want to cancel service" choice on the phone menu. This takes you directly to Retention.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by owlyn:

I hope it all works out for you, but the mistake you made when calling Comcast was to not go directly to the "I want to cancel service" choice on the phone menu. This takes you directly to Retention.

Thanks. Yeah, I get that having done this many times before - but I actually did have questions about my bill first and then intended to transfer to cancellation, which the agent wouldn't do being eager about cancelling it herself.

I thought about hanging up and starting the call again to transfer to cancellation at that moment, but I didn't have the heart anymore with her BSing me, and doing the dance to force Comcast to keep me as a customer. Enough was enough.

All is well that ends well - I am actually pretty happy with Dish so far. It's taking some getting used to but, thumbs up.
-Jim