Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible

Re: Got My New Build Lined Out....

said by Raible:

That actually crossed my mind when you first mentioned it and then I never followed up on it. We failed you sir.

No experience with Zalman. Don't appear to be on any of the top charts either. I love my Noctua. Extremely quiet and they come with two fans. They are a few bucks more, but they are really nice and couldn't have better reviews on them.

Some of the Zalman heatsinks on Newegg have have a shit ton of positive reviews. Plus they look cool as hell with all the exposed copper fins. I've always liked those.

I was looking at the Noctua model with the dual 120/140mm fans, but damn does it look like it's massive in size.

I'm going to seat my RAM and set the motherboard in the case to get some measurements and see what I'm working with first.

Supposedly the heat sink right on the motherbaord could pose a space issue also.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Does Cooler Master have a bracket so you can use TX3 on 1155? It's worth writing or calling them and seeing what they can do--many companies offer a mounting bracket.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Does Cooler Master have a bracket so you can use TX3 on 1155? It's worth writing or calling them and seeing what they can do--many companies offer a mounting bracket.

I checked around and couldn't find anything at all. Looks like the only compatible chip is the 1156.

I just ordered a Zalman 9500 AT 92mm Heatsink instead. After seating my RAM, I took some measurements and I don't see any way possible to run a 120mm. The heatsinks on the MB itself are pretty large. I'd have to remove the side fan on the case, which I don't want to do.

So I just went with the 92mm. Also...what the hell is the deal with the majority of heatsinks out there with no PWM support? I had a hell of a time finding one that wasn't 3 pin non PWM.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 35118003
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

So my Heatsink finally arrived on Monday afternoon. I ended up building the computer last night.

Everything went great for being my first build. I ended up hooking 1 fan up incorrectly.

This Rosewill case is amazing. Lot's of nice airflow throughout the case with very quiet fans. Lot's of room to install all the hardware, etc. My only complaint about this case is the back panel and the wire management.

If Rosewill allowed about 1/4" more of space for wires, this thing would be rockin'.

I ended up getting Windows installed with all the updates, Chipset drivers, and video drivers last night. I still need to back my system up, I'll probably do that later today.

The Gigabyte bios is actually pretty cool. There is a shit ton of adjustments you can make.

I can tell you, this thing is lightning fast with this SSD in here. I don't know why a lot of people opt out of installing these in their PCs. I guess price could be the biggest reason. Boot times are literally 10 seconds.

I'll post up pictures in a bit.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Awesome! As I said in my PM, make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (as opposed to IDE) for the SSD. If you forgot to do that, you'll need to reinstall Windows after you set it.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Also if you have to do a reinstall for the AHCI make sure you update/check the firmware on your SSD. If you weren't aware Your supposed to do it with the SSD setup as a second drive on another computer if using OCZ toolbox. If you did not do it already and it's your main drive no big deal, you can download a linux version of OCZ toolbox that you can put on a bootable disk/thumbdrive and update with that. The windows version of OCZ toolbox can check your current version even if it is a main drive if you aren't already using it. If you already knew this, disregard.

I have an agility and a vertex in 2 of my computers and so far they have been great, especially for the price.

Nice build btw, similar to one I built a few months back.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Moos:

Also if you have to do a reinstall for the AHCI make sure you update/check the firmware on your SSD. If you weren't aware Your supposed to do it with the SSD setup as a second drive on another computer if using OCZ toolbox. If you did not do it already and it's your main drive no big deal, you can download a linux version of OCZ toolbox that you can put on a bootable disk/thumbdrive and update with that. The windows version of OCZ toolbox can check your current version even if it is a main drive if you aren't already using it. If you already knew this, disregard.

I have an agility and a vertex in 2 of my computers and so far they have been great, especially for the price.

Nice build btw, similar to one I built a few months back.

Thanks Moos. As far as I know, the firmware with this SSD I got is up to date. I'll check it later today just to confirm. I was reading Amazon reviews of people that purchased the same model as mine in mid July and even theirs shipped with the current firmware.
Ghastlyone

1 edit

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Alright so I checked when I went home for lunch, my SATA controller is set to AHCI. So I'm good there.

One thing I noticed in the BIOS settings for my RAM is that it's showing it running at 1333mhz. The RAM I bought is supposed to be 1600mhz. Is this just a factory setting done by the mother board and I just have to manually adjust it up?

Also I know it doesn't mean much, but the Windows Index Score is at 7.6

Graphics and Disc transfer are 7.9. I figured this processor would rank a little higher. But it also hasn't been overclocked yet :P

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

WEI is probably continually updated to reflect a score relative to the absolutely-most-powerful consumer CPU out there (aka SB-E). It means nothing beyond epeen, and is a pretty damn useless metric at that.

Does your mobo support Intel XMP profiles? I've never used them but I believe you simply download and then set and forget.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

just a note for XMP

I've used XMP on my current system and all you do is enable XMP and then select the XMP mem profile and it'll automatically go to the specs listed in the profile.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Damn I wish my x58 board did that.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

WEI is probably continually updated to reflect a score relative to the absolutely-most-powerful consumer CPU out there (aka SB-E). It means nothing beyond epeen, and is a pretty damn useless metric at that.

Does your mobo support Intel XMP profiles? I've never used them but I believe you simply download and then set and forget.

Yes it does have XMP. I just haven't messed with it yet. I gotta read a little more about it in my MB manual.
said by DarkLogix:

just a note for XMP

I've used XMP on my current system and all you do is enable XMP and then select the XMP mem profile and it'll automatically go to the specs listed in the profile.

Wow nice, that sounds awesome. Once I get it up and running I'll post here my experience with it.

I messed around at lunch a little and got my MSI Afterburner re-installed (I might go back to using EVGA software) and Chrome. I'll do some stress tests tonight, hopefully everything goes well.

This PC is blazing fast. It's rediculous. I thought my store bought PC with aftermarket hardware was fast. This new one doesn't even compare.

I can't wait to test out some games.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
PICS?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Sorry for the late pics, here's a few...
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

So I last night I got a disk error notification from Windows 7 on my Western Digital HDD. It said to run a backup immediately and proceed to shutdown.

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA this WD Black. I ran WD's Lifeguard Diagnostics Tool and did in fact get a "Raw Read Error Rate". From what I could find online, this has happened to a lot of people with these.

I'm just glad my OS is on the SSD.

Since I bought this from Amazon, I'm not sure if I should return to them or contact Western Digital directly.

Other then that, I was about 15 miniutes into playing Arkham City on maxed settings last night and this thing was barely breaking a sweat.

CPU was humming along nicely at 45C, GPU at 56C. My GPU dropped in temp dramatically with this case also. Before I would top out at 70C

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Post the info on the HDD to the Hardware Help forum--we have some really knowledgeable HDD gurus who can help diagnose it with you and determine the path forward.

»Computer Hardware Help

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Post the info on the HDD to the Hardware Help forum--we have some really knowledgeable HDD gurus who can help diagnose it with you and determine the path forward.

»Computer Hardware Help

Thanks Kris I just posted a thread over there. Hopefully I can get this thing sorted out.

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
looks great ghastly, although I have this one pet peave about bottom mounted power supplies. you have it showing in both pics and it's not your fault, but when the PS is mounted at the bottom, the power cables for the video card has no place to be hidden and then you have a bunch of it just hanging out there and with a clear plastic side, it would drive me nuts to see those there.

good looking build though.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Blockgorilla:

looks great ghastly, although I have this one pet peave about bottom mounted power supplies. you have it showing in both pics and it's not your fault, but when the PS is mounted at the bottom, the power cables for the video card has no place to be hidden and then you have a bunch of it just hanging out there and with a clear plastic side, it would drive me nuts to see those there.

good looking build though.

Thanks Block. Trust me...If I could have hidden all the GPU cables also with a top mount PSU, I would have. My only gripe about this case is the lack of wire management space on the back panel.

I can't fit anymore wires back there.

I also opted to mount the Heatsink exhausting towards the top of the case (into the dual 140mm fans), instead of the rear.

So far, I'm extremely impressed with how quiet this thing runs. The only thing you can hear when running a game is the GPU fans. That's it.

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

that's nice, venting out the top. I tend to put my cases on the desk. I have a glass desk with a monitor stand about 6" above the desk and there is a perfect space for my antec 900 between the stand and the wall.

My only gripe with well ventilated cases is the amount of dust that gets pulled into the tower, I have to spray mine out about every two weeks, but the dust could be a Kansas wind issue.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Blockgorilla:

that's nice, venting out the top. I tend to put my cases on the desk. I have a glass desk with a monitor stand about 6" above the desk and there is a perfect space for my antec 900 between the stand and the wall.

My only gripe with well ventilated cases is the amount of dust that gets pulled into the tower, I have to spray mine out about every two weeks, but the dust could be a Kansas wind issue.

Easy fix

1. positive pressure (ie have more going in than out)
2. they make little filters you can put over the fans

with those two dust buildup will be greatly lowered

On mine last I looked there wasn't any dust in it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I'll do some stress tests tonight, hopefully everything goes well.

This PC is blazing fast. It's rediculous. I thought my store bought PC with aftermarket hardware was fast. This new one doesn't even compare.

I can't wait to test out some games.

I'd suggest running the following (just to make sure that its all good

1. y-cruncher (have it do the largest PI calc that it can fit in the amount of ram you have, then have it do its stress test
2. furmark (crank it up to put a good load on the video card)
3. 3dmark (same reason as furmark but it'd be a little more realistic)
4. goldmem (just to make sure all the ram is A-OK)

then after that's done at base settings see about using XMP and then repeating the tests

btw with my computer because its a 1366 socket (and not a xeon) it defaulted to 1066 for the ram, I was able to get 1333 just upping it t that, but XMP took it right to 1600 (when I tried kicking it to 1600 it'd fail the stress test, but the XMP setting worked perfectly)

all in the BIOS, the ram I have only has 1 XMP profile however the ram for the system I'm thinking of building around the end of the year maybe had 2 XMP profiles to select from.

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Blockgorilla:

Easy fix

it's a local problem, i've dabbled with all kinds of fan setups and with filters and it's more of a kansas wind+dust in the air.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Hepa filter in the room

Also don't set it on the floor, elevate it some.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Blockgorilla:

Easy fix

I'm going to be ordering 2 of these for the front 140mm intake fans and should fit prefectly. Dust here in Vegas is pretty bad, that's the only reason why I'm going to try them out. Most reviews are positive...

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11999226

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Just remember to clean the filter from time to time.

And don't put the computer near the floor.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

So I updated the firmware on my OCZ SSD to v1.5

Luckily it didn't wipe the drive, and was relatively painless. From what I was reading, OCZ is releasing v1.6 pretty soon.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I just wanted to give a little update about this i5 processor.

Playing Arkham City last night on the Catwoman mission where you have to rob the vault. If you have full PhysX enabled (high setting), when you enter the vault, it can be absolutely brutal on your PC. Basically there are hundreds of dollars bills flying everywhere inside the vault, along with having to beat the crap out of about 8 thugs at the same time.

My old AMD Athlon Quad 630 nearly locked up on that part of the game. I was getting 2-3 FPS. I tought I was going to have to reset it.

Last night with this i5 3570K with a slight overclock @ 4.0ghz, smooth as can be. I got the occasional stutter here and there, but overall it was night and day difference.

I'm very impressed with this. It's badass.