Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Blockfire

Re: Got My New Build Lined Out....

said by Blockfire:

that's nice, venting out the top. I tend to put my cases on the desk. I have a glass desk with a monitor stand about 6" above the desk and there is a perfect space for my antec 900 between the stand and the wall.

My only gripe with well ventilated cases is the amount of dust that gets pulled into the tower, I have to spray mine out about every two weeks, but the dust could be a Kansas wind issue.

Easy fix

1. positive pressure (ie have more going in than out)
2. they make little filters you can put over the fans

with those two dust buildup will be greatly lowered

On mine last I looked there wasn't any dust in it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I'll do some stress tests tonight, hopefully everything goes well.

This PC is blazing fast. It's rediculous. I thought my store bought PC with aftermarket hardware was fast. This new one doesn't even compare.

I can't wait to test out some games.

I'd suggest running the following (just to make sure that its all good

1. y-cruncher (have it do the largest PI calc that it can fit in the amount of ram you have, then have it do its stress test
2. furmark (crank it up to put a good load on the video card)
3. 3dmark (same reason as furmark but it'd be a little more realistic)
4. goldmem (just to make sure all the ram is A-OK)

then after that's done at base settings see about using XMP and then repeating the tests

btw with my computer because its a 1366 socket (and not a xeon) it defaulted to 1066 for the ram, I was able to get 1333 just upping it t that, but XMP took it right to 1600 (when I tried kicking it to 1600 it'd fail the stress test, but the XMP setting worked perfectly)

all in the BIOS, the ram I have only has 1 XMP profile however the ram for the system I'm thinking of building around the end of the year maybe had 2 XMP profiles to select from.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by Blockfire:

that's nice, venting out the top. I tend to put my cases on the desk. I have a glass desk with a monitor stand about 6" above the desk and there is a perfect space for my antec 900 between the stand and the wall.

My only gripe with well ventilated cases is the amount of dust that gets pulled into the tower, I have to spray mine out about every two weeks, but the dust could be a Kansas wind issue.

Easy fix

it's a local problem, i've dabbled with all kinds of fan setups and with filters and it's more of a kansas wind+dust in the air.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Hepa filter in the room

Also don't set it on the floor, elevate it some.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by Blockfire:

Easy fix

I'm going to be ordering 2 of these for the front 140mm intake fans and should fit prefectly. Dust here in Vegas is pretty bad, that's the only reason why I'm going to try them out. Most reviews are positive...

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11999226

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Just remember to clean the filter from time to time.

And don't put the computer near the floor.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone

So I updated the firmware on my OCZ SSD to v1.5

Luckily it didn't wipe the drive, and was relatively painless. From what I was reading, OCZ is releasing v1.6 pretty soon.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone

I just wanted to give a little update about this i5 processor.

Playing Arkham City last night on the Catwoman mission where you have to rob the vault. If you have full PhysX enabled (high setting), when you enter the vault, it can be absolutely brutal on your PC. Basically there are hundreds of dollars bills flying everywhere inside the vault, along with having to beat the crap out of about 8 thugs at the same time.

My old AMD Athlon Quad 630 nearly locked up on that part of the game. I was getting 2-3 FPS. I tought I was going to have to reset it.

Last night with this i5 3570K with a slight overclock @ 4.0ghz, smooth as can be. I got the occasional stutter here and there, but overall it was night and day difference.

I'm very impressed with this. It's badass.