spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dantheman706

join:2012-07-23
White Pine, TN

Are you really getting your correct speed?

Wow, I can't believe I just typed a whole novel.. Anywho for the point of the whole story just read the "short part".

SHORT VERSION
======================

Charter likes to take advantage of the elderly who doesn't know much about the internet and computers. I could understand if she had her own equipment, but she was paying $10 a month for charter equipment because they said "you HAVE to have this for wireless internet". They didn't mention she could buy her own though. Which is fine, but when they talked her into upgrading to 30mbps internet, the least they could of done is upgrade the equipment she was paying them for too.. instead they choose not to do anything except bill my aunt for 30mbps internet when she really had 15mbps. Charter knew she was only getting 15mbps too cos their retarded system won't allow a docsis 2.0 modem be provisioned for 30mbps even though a docsis 2.0 modem provisioned for 15mbps can reach 30mbps xD

I wonder how many of other charter customers are being scammed like this...

LONG VERSION
======================

So recently I learned that Charter has been scamming my aunt by leasing her a modem/router that was not compliant with their 30mbps plan.

In December 2011, my aunt signed up for charter bundle with the 15mbps internet plan, and also was paying charter for a Motorola SBG901 Gateway. Within a month, a charter sales rep called, and talked her into upgrading to the 30mbps plan for $10 more a month. But what the charter sales rep didn't mention is that her current equipment that she was leasing from charter was too slow for the 30mbps plan, and neither did the charter internet department.

She is old, doesn't know much about computers except how to use email, facebook, netflix, so she put all her trust in charter. Months ago I tried to tell her to get her own equipment, and save.. but she refused, and said "I like paying charter for wifi cos when I have a problem they fix it"

So 3 weeks ago, I started doing speed tests daily at random times of the day. It never exceeded 15mbps, so I called charter, and they didn't know what to do except send a technician out which would cost $35 if the problem wasn't charter fault.. I wasn't quite sure who was at fault then so I decline for them to send out a tech.. a few days later, tons of new router config settings, and a bunch of speedtests later someone reminded me to check to see if its either wireless-g or wireless-n, and of course it was wireless-g only.. So I get charter to bring out a new router/modem gateway that took them 5 days to do, and they bring this sh*tty netgear cg3000d that worked for like 3 hours.. speed was 40-50mbps then it dropped down to 29mbps.. 2 days later of seeing it avg. 29mbps and not 1mbps higher I just said f*ck it, and went to store to buy a router to use with my docsis 2.0 motorola surfboard

came home, set it all up, tried to provision the modem, but charter's retarded system said my modem wasn't fast enough for their 30mbps. So I called tech support, and was told the same. Which is a lie, cos now on 15mbps my modem is hitting 30mbps but it goes back down to like 27mbps even though charter said it was only fast enough for 15mbps. My sister has charter 15mbps, the same modem as me, and a sh*tty belkin n150 router, that has hit 30mbps so i know charter is lying when they said my modem and the Motorola SBG901 Gateway isn't made for 30mbps. I mean the website for the Motorola SBG901 Gateway says it supports speed up to 30mbps.

Anywho, the charter tech support guy said he couldn't provision my modem for 30mbps, that I needed a docsis 3.0 modem. So I just told him to downgrade me, my aunt has been using 15mbps internet for 7 months cos they never updated her equipment that they lease to her when they upgraded her to 30mbps. He put me on hold for like 5mins for what ever reason, then came back, and said he downgraded my internet to 15mbps so I could use my modem. I connected to the internet, did a speedtest, and it showed 26mbps. 24 hours later i did another speedtest, and it showed 27mbps. for a modem that can't exceed around 15mbps according to the "geniuses" at charter, my modem is doing extremely well.

I wasn't sure when charter upgraded my aunt's internet to 30mbps if they forgot about the equipment they leased to her not being compliant with the 30mbps until I tried to provision my own modem. The fact that charter couldn't provision my modem which is just as good as the motorola modem charter leased to my aunt because it wasn't a docsis 3.0 means that charter had to know my aunt wasn't using the right equipment when they upgraded her internet. Instead of doing anything like letting my aunt know they just decided to not say anything until she did.. which is such a scam.

I could understand if she had her own equipment, but she was paying $10 a month for charter equipment because they said "you HAVE to have this for wireless internet". They didn't mention she could buy her own though. Which is fine, but when they talked her into upgrading to 30mbps internet, the least they could of done is upgrade the equipment she was paying them for too.. instead they choose not to do anything except bill my aunt for 30mbps internet when she really had 15mbps. Charter knew she was only getting 15mbps too cos their retarded system won't allow a docsis 2.0 modem be provisioned for 30mbps even though a docsis 2.0 modem provisioned for 15mbps can reach 30mbps xD

I wonder how many of other charter customers are being scammed like this...

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1

3 edits
This forum would probably be more appropriate :

»Charter Internet/TV

Also :

quote:
So I get charter to bring out a new router/modem gateway that took them 5 days to do, and they bring this sh*tty netgear cg3000d that worked for like 3 hours.. speed was 40-50mbps then it dropped down to 29mbps.. 2 days later of seeing it avg. 29mbps and not 1mbps higher I just said f*ck it, and went to store to buy a router to use with my docsis 2.0 motorola surfboard
29 mbps seems about right to me? You usually never reach the advertised speeds because there is some overhead. Some ISPs will try to compensate and set you on a higher speed (I know Vidéotron in Québec does that. Sells you 15 mbps, set your modem on 16 mbps...) but not everyone do. Move to Bell, our other altenative, they sell you 5 mbps, set your modem on 5 mbps, but in reality you get about 4.3 mbps.

Also, if you go back to your Motorola Docsis 2.0 modem, you make a big mistake. From what I understand, it is limited to 27 mbps. Docsis 2.0 can bound only to 1 channel on the cable. One channel is about 35 mbits I think (I think if you remove overhead, you are down to 27). That same channel is also shared with your neighborhood. In peak times, you will most likely never reach 27-29 mbits because all the available bandwith is shared with others.

dantheman706

join:2012-07-23
White Pine, TN
Thanks! I started to post this in that category, but thought this was more of a rant.

----------------------------------------------------

I probably would of told my aunt to keep Charter Plus (30mbps plan) if...

- They wouldn't of gave her a sh*tty netgear device

- The pos netgear didn't exceed 30mbps greatly the first 3 hours she had it, then stayed below 30mbps at 29mbps for the last 48 hours she had it. I understand it won't always be what advertised, but at least once out of the 4-5 times I did a speedtest using 3 different servers (including the test late late at night around 4am) should of been better than 29mbps.

- Charter would of notified her about the equipment she was leasing from them was not compliant with their 30mbps plan. Billing department updated her monthly bill to charge her for 30mbps, but the internet department left her speed at 15mbps, and never bothered to tell her that the equipment she was renting from them couldn't be provisioned for 30mbps.

I was always frustrated at Charter, so it was just easier to stop paying them for equipment, and downgrade. At least with the 15mbps plan it won't seem like she is getting ripped off by paying for something she doesn't even need. The 7 months she had 15mbps but was paying for 30mbps, she couldn't tell the difference. It wasn't until I started to do 4-5 speedtests from at least 3 different servers at random times of the day for 2 weeks that I realized she didn't have 30mbps.

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info about docsis 2.0 being bound to 1 channel, I did not know that. That info will come in use in the future as well as now. Someone else browsing this thread will probably find that info helpful too.

I've already went back to my old modem with Charter's 15mbps plan. Like you said, sometimes it is slower than other times. But my speedtests results are a lot closer to 15mbps so I'm happy. It's a lot better than doing a speedtest with a 30mbps connection that is only getting about 18mbps cos my ISP didn't want to upgrade my internet or inform me my equipment was not compliant but didn't have a problem billing me for something I didn't even have..

My aunt doesn't need a D3 modem or 30mbps. She only had it cos she doesn't know anything about computers/internet except how to use facebook and netflix. A Charter Sales Agent called her after she had 15mbps and a Motorola docsis 2.0 gateway setup to get her to upgrade. She thought she could trust Charter to not take advantage of her.

It's all good though, she never signed a agreement or contract to keep Charter for 2 years so she is free to downgrade at anytime. So I am helping her bring her $150 monthly bill down to $40.