All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vortix
join:2012-07-23

vortix

Best customer-owned cable modem?

My in laws are WOW customers, and are looking to replace their leased cable modem with a customer owned one. They are currently on the 15Mb tier. What is the best sub-$100 cable modem to buy?

DOCSIS 3.0 support would be nice for the future, but is not a strict requirement. Initially I was leaning toward the Motorola SB6121 or 6141, though my concern is a lack of firmware updates for these modems from WOW. Would the trusty old SA DPC2100R2 be a better choice for support and stability reasons on WOW? Or is there another model I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
adymax
join:2012-03-14
Rolling Meadows, IL

adymax

I got this one for $18 3 month ago. Works great on 15/2 tier.

»www.ebay.com/itm/2307574 ··· 39.l2649

troubleagain
@wideopenwest.com

troubleagain to vortix

Anon

to vortix
said by vortix:

Would the trusty old SA DPC2100R2 be a better choice for support and stability reasons on WOW? Or is there another model I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Based on the criteria you present I would go with the SA. Since it can be had for $20 or less on eBay it will pay for itself in four months.

If they ever want to move to higher speeds then you can get the Moto (or whatever). Maybe by then WOW will better support those modems.
vortix

vortix

said by troubleagain :

said by vortix:

Would the trusty old SA DPC2100R2 be a better choice for support and stability reasons on WOW? Or is there another model I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Based on the criteria you present I would go with the SA. Since it can be had for $20 or less on eBay it will pay for itself in four months.

If they ever want to move to higher speeds then you can get the Moto (or whatever). Maybe by then WOW will better support those modems.

OK thanks! I'll pick up one of the SA modems. Does WOW send out firmware updates to the 2100s?

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755 to vortix

to vortix
motorola sb6120 or sb6121 if you want to include docsis 3.0.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to vortix

to vortix
Can't go wrong with a DPC2100R2. It's the same modem they use and if you get a good tech, they will push their firmware to it. Just tell them it's the same exact modem so you want the same firmware. That's all I had to do.

It's been rock solid through until I upgraded to UltraTV.
vortix

vortix

said by Body Count:

Can't go wrong with a DPC2100R2. It's the same modem they use and if you get a good tech, they will push their firmware to it. Just tell them it's the same exact modem so you want the same firmware. That's all I had to do.

It's been rock solid through until I upgraded to UltraTV.

OK thanks for the tip...we'll see if I can get a tech to push firmware down when I call to activate it in a couple days.

slly - DOCSIS 3.0 isn't a requirement at this time. Was hoping to get an SB6121 or 6141, though it won't be worthwhile on the 15/2 plan. And I'd like at least a chance of receiving firmware updates from WOW, which I can get with the DPC2100R2 but not the 6121 or 6141.

mgeyman
@wideopenwest.com

mgeyman to vortix

Anon

to vortix
I have the Zoom 5341J modem on WOW!'s 50/5 service and it has been excellent - no issues so far! I'm located in the Cleveland area.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to vortix

to vortix
Just remember if you buy a used modem.. especially the DPC2100R2, if the modem was used with the WOW network with the previous owner, the previous owner needs to get it removed from the system before you can use it. They need to call customer support and have the modem removed from their profile before you can use it.

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755 to vortix

to vortix
said by vortix:

And I'd like at least a chance of receiving firmware updates from WOW, which I can get with the DPC2100R2 but not the 6121 or 6141.

there was problems with the early 6120s running old code and WOW updated them. later 6120s and 6121s didn't have this problem.

that said, if you do get a 6120 and it happens to be an early one, they'll take care of it.