spc
uniqs
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde

Re: 2 routers help!

The 2Wire is notoriously garbage. Completely locked, and no wireless "N" support.

What I would do, is go and buy a cheap DSL modem or buy one on Kijiji. Most are around $50 at Canada Computers, or other such shops.

Plug it in, and connect your TP-Link router to it. Have the TP-Link pass all the PPPoE info. Problem solved.

If you don't want to buy the modem, search DSL Reports on how to put the 2Wire in Bridge mode and turn off the wireless.

If you do want to buy the modem, I can recommend the Thomson 516. Used it, and very reliable. Decent price as well. And yours to keep.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by camelot:

The 2Wire is notoriously garbage. Completely locked, and no wireless "N" support.

What I would do, is go and buy a cheap DSL modem or buy one on Kijiji. Most are around $50 at Canada Computers, or other such shops.

Plug it in, and connect your TP-Link router to it. Have the TP-Link pass all the PPPoE info. Problem solved.

If you don't want to buy the modem, search DSL Reports on how to put the 2Wire in Bridge mode and turn off the wireless.

If you do want to buy the modem, I can recommend the Thomson 516. Used it, and very reliable. Decent price as well. And yours to keep.

Hmm yes, i was thinking of ditching the 2Wire completely, i just hate how it works. the 516 idea is good, which reminds me i think i may have a 516 somewhere in the crawl space! I might just look it up tonight.

Do i need to contact bell to tell them about the new modem or just play-n-play?
said by RickStep:

A router behind a router works very well.

The setup here is shown below.

Those instruction seem good, i may just try that as a last resort. I hate how something so simple to do with a regular modem is just complicated 10-fold by the 2wire.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

said by OverrRyde:

Plug -n- play. Hang on to the 2Wire because Bell will ask for it back should you leave them.

I'd take the 2Wire completely out of the picture. Bell has no idea what modem you use. Once you remove it, you'll have no need to re-wire everything using 2 routers.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by camelot:

said by OverrRyde:

Plug -n- play. Hang on to the 2Wire because Bell will ask for it back should you leave them.

I'd take the 2Wire completely out of the picture. Bell has no idea what modem you use. Once you remove it, you'll have no need to re-wire everything using 2 routers.

Sounds good! Hopefully i still have the 516! If not, CanadaComputer seems to carry it for 50$, not to bad!

Are the 516's good for fibe should the household decide to go that route in the future?

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i always found the tp link to be garbage
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by Pauly:

i always found the tp link to be garbage

Worked fine for my family when they were using it. They had a Wii, a DS, and a PC on wifi, and one PC on LAN.