uniqs

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

Just dented my new truck. Any guesses for repair costs?

So pissed at myself right now....

2012 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4. Scrapped up against a wooden support pole while turning into a car port this morning.

Any idea what the repair costs for something like this might run? And how long it would take a shop to fix this (the truck is my only vehicle)?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

1 recommendation

DeltaElite

Just put a sticker on it.....

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
I honestly think you can say that will buff right out on this one.

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

1 edit

treetop1000 to Postal8

to Postal8
Did the same (!) thing to my Honda Civic at the gas pumps. Hit that damned concrete and steel pump guard elbow while trying to avoid an idiot. It crushed and rolled the lowest horizontal portion of that same area, wrinkled it up pretty good and skinned all the paint off it as well.
Final repair quote:
(sit down)
$2300
the dent was less deep than my fingernail is wide and was approx 18"-20" long and .5 to 3" wide.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

I'm gonna flip the hell out if this costs anywhere near $2300 to fix....

Going to a local shop after work that was recommended by the Toyota dealer for an estimate.
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski

Premium Member

You might try one of these paintless dent repair guys.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Yh8hvZd0

Probably cheaper than a repair shop, but you have to find someone that is very experienced.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by cjski:

paintless dent repair

I've had that done. Very good for dents up to the size of your palm. But useless with the scratches the OP has.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Postal8

to Postal8
Auto repair shops make a very good living. First the dent repair or just replace the panels costs money. Then paint the whole panel.

My wife has some paint knocked off in the same area no dent. Told her whole panel gets painted then the wrong or right repair shop would insist on repainting the whole suv to match the new paint on the panel.

Plus the other thing is any shop that does charge less is called a non quality shop by the rest of them like peer pressure. Well you want it done right don't you.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 recommendation

Snakeoil to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
I put a dent on my Dodge Ram's right rear fender, a few years ago. All I did was reach behind the dent and whacked it with the palm of my hand. That popped that major part of it out. The remaining dent I left there. IMO, trucks aren't supposed to be pretty. They are supposed to be "rough" and used.

Hence why mine has split paint on the bed liner and all that. Then again, I try to keep my vehicles for 10 plus years, so resale value is no concern of mine.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

Just got the first estimate......$1,822.00.

Damn....

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka to Postal8

MVM

to Postal8
That is more than I would have guessed...

BTW,
Please don't go - postal.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Postal8

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

That's what insurance is for. What's your deductible?

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
1800 for that? hell, i'd just learn to ignore it...

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Postal8:

That's what insurance is for. What's your deductible?

That's what really pisses me off.....I just had my deductible raised last month from $500 to $2000.

I moved 40 miles closer to Los Angeles and it raised my rate $400 a year. I've never in my life had to file a claim with my insurance company, so I went ahead and raised the deductible to offset the rate increase from moving.
Postal8

Postal8 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

Wish I could. Only had the truck 6 weeks. All I can do is stand there and stare at the dent and beat myself up....

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by Postal8:

said by pcdebb:

Wish I could. Only had the truck 6 weeks. All I can do is stand there and stare at the dent and beat myself up....

if it makes you feel better today otw home from work i ran into some giant piece of metal on the road

knocked the fog light in, fair amount of bumper damage.....can't tell if the metal went under the car or not

i find out friday how much it'll cost, i'm at the 500$ deductable, but meh still 500$

car has less than 3k miles on it, and it's my first insurance claim in my life.....such crap :P

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

treetop1000 to Postal8

to Postal8
Sorry Postal, I tried to warn you.
Yeah, I still got the $500 deductible, so I was out that $500... still, you are gonna feel it at $1800.

Got a suggestion.
Go locate a vocational tech school in your area that does autobody. Your average high school autobody student can do this at a substantial discount. You may need to buy the paint, the filler material (if needed), and allow for a little extra time to do the job.
They might be able to save you a huge amount of money, and your insurance company need not know about it.
It's called an end run, by the way.
Hope this helps.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

If it was on the other side, I would agree. But given it's on the driver's side, that would drive me insane given that it's only 6 weeks!

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

said by pcdebb:

Offer them around $1,300 in cash and see what they say.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
said by Postal8:

Only had the truck 6 weeks. All I can do is stand there and stare at the dent and beat myself up....

Sure can understand how upsetting this dent is to you....I probably be so pissed I'd trade it in for another one.

Get a few more estimates and post on a Toyota Tacoma forum..you might luck out and get someone who is near you who can hook you up at a better price...

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

Good idea. I'll hit up Tacoma World. They have a So Cal section.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Postal8

to Postal8
I've seen a bodyshop fix a dent in my father's rear bumper using suction and heat. The body shop guy simply suggested a tip (Was given 20$).

Your dent seems like a candidate. It's not a dent is folded, it looks more like it's only bent.

Think of it like a sheet of paper. You can bend it without making permanent damage, but if you fold it, then you have a permanent mark.

As for the paint... well, since it's new, then the body shop can use the OEM paint color and it will match the rest of the body as the car paint didn't have time to fade with age.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

SysOp to Postal8

to Postal8
It's a truck. Dents are allowed.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
The problem nowadays is they mostly just get a new panel, repairs are fast becoming a thing of the past!
So I'd also say the repair/replacement would be as say above around the $2000.00 mark give or take a few dollars!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Postal8

to Postal8
Is this with the panel (s) replaced?
Seriously some panels are way overpriced then all the body shop has to do is paint. not even really prep so easy work or almost no work just fun times and a large pay check.
I remember when they used to take dents out and maybe add a little filler. Then prep and paint. Didn't cost anywhere near as much. But now for safety and wanting quality work you need an oem panel then paint which is way less work but costs so much more.

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

The estimate was to fix the panel, not replace it.

He said they would take the panel off, fix it, re-paint the whole thing, and then put on a new "TRD Off Road" sticker ($100 bucks just for the sticker).

It was something like $400 in parts. All the rest was labor.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor

Premium Member

said by Postal8:

He said they would take the panel off, fix it, re-paint the whole thing, and then put on a new "TRD Off Road" sticker ($100 bucks just for the sticker).

You could always supply the TRD Off Road decal.

Many available at Amazon and eBay...

One example

»www.amazon.com/Toyota-RO ··· 03LHP1CQ

Postal8
Premium Member
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8

Premium Member

It's been a month, but I haven't put the truck in the shop yet.

Basically it boils down to this.....one shop says they will fix the dent for $1822. Another shop says the dent is too deep to repair (doesn't look all that deep to me) and wants $2300 to replace the panel.

Not sure which way to jump....

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Postal8

MVM

to Postal8
I would go the route that ensures your corrosion warranty is valid.

A pure repair puts the onus for any occurrence of rust on the shop that repairs the panel.
Do you trust them to come good if a rust repair is needed in 5 years?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

What is the "rust" of which you speak? None of that silliness out here.

Postal, I'd go with the panel replacement. Potentially better resale, if nothing else.