uniqs
share rss forum feed

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to sailor

Re: Just dented my new truck. Any guesses for repair costs?

Good idea. I'll hit up Tacoma World. They have a So Cal section.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Postal
I've seen a bodyshop fix a dent in my father's rear bumper using suction and heat. The body shop guy simply suggested a tip (Was given 20$).

Your dent seems like a candidate. It's not a dent is folded, it looks more like it's only bent.

Think of it like a sheet of paper. You can bend it without making permanent damage, but if you fold it, then you have a permanent mark.

As for the paint... well, since it's new, then the body shop can use the OEM paint color and it will match the rest of the body as the car paint didn't have time to fade with age.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Postal
It's a truck. Dents are allowed.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Postal
The problem nowadays is they mostly just get a new panel, repairs are fast becoming a thing of the past!
So I'd also say the repair/replacement would be as say above around the $2000.00 mark give or take a few dollars!

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Postal
Is this with the panel (s) replaced?
Seriously some panels are way overpriced then all the body shop has to do is paint. not even really prep so easy work or almost no work just fun times and a large pay check.
I remember when they used to take dents out and maybe add a little filler. Then prep and paint. Didn't cost anywhere near as much. But now for safety and wanting quality work you need an oem panel then paint which is way less work but costs so much more.

Postal
Premium
Simi Valley, CA
The estimate was to fix the panel, not replace it.

He said they would take the panel off, fix it, re-paint the whole thing, and then put on a new "TRD Off Road" sticker ($100 bucks just for the sticker).

It was something like $400 in parts. All the rest was labor.
--

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
said by Postal:

He said they would take the panel off, fix it, re-paint the whole thing, and then put on a new "TRD Off Road" sticker ($100 bucks just for the sticker).

You could always supply the TRD Off Road decal.

Many available at Amazon and eBay...

One example

»www.amazon.com/Toyota-ROAD-Decal···03LHP1CQ

Postal
Premium
Simi Valley, CA
reply to Postal
It's been a month, but I haven't put the truck in the shop yet.

Basically it boils down to this.....one shop says they will fix the dent for $1822. Another shop says the dent is too deep to repair (doesn't look all that deep to me) and wants $2300 to replace the panel.

Not sure which way to jump....
--

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Postal
I would go the route that ensures your corrosion warranty is valid.

A pure repair puts the onus for any occurrence of rust on the shop that repairs the panel.
Do you trust them to come good if a rust repair is needed in 5 years?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
What is the "rust" of which you speak? None of that silliness out here.

Postal, I'd go with the panel replacement. Potentially better resale, if nothing else.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Postal
Its a difference of a few hundred dollars. Personally I would have the panel replaced. If something is broken I dont get it fixed, I get a new one.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Postal
Price sounds about right. On my car 3 years ago, someone hit it in a parking lot, and it only had a couple scratches. No where near as bad as yours. $1200 to fix. Other person's insurance company paid. Not sure why prices are so crazy for minor work. The scratches were barely noticeable.

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Postal
it's amazing what it costs to run an EPA compliant body shop. that dent is in a tough area to fix. it may not have creases but there were bends already in the area which complicates the repair of the sheet metal then there is the painting/buffing etc. the painting would not be quite so bad being that the truck is so new and hasn't had much time to oxidize and fade.
--
my site

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Postal
Nm