uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnyxxpress

join:2008-11-20
Valles Mines, MO
reply to TonyKZ1

Re: Big River Broadband Now Available in eastern Missouri

said by TonyKZ1:

Here's one that offered me internet service »www.millenicom.com and I'm just outside Marble Hill. A co-worker went with them for his internet connection and seems to like them well enough. Oh and I'm also using Tracfone for my cell phone.
Tony

Not that it's bad thing but I found a similar company that offered wireless internet in my area. After a few hours of connecting the dots I found out they were piggybacking on Sprints network. Which really sucks in the rural area I live in. I call the comapny to confirm. The gentleman that answered the phone was amazed I already knew what he was trying to keep a secret.

TonyKZ1

join:2010-04-08
Marble Hill, MO
reply to pnyxxpress
Yea, I would also like to hear from people that's already using it. I'm going to go talk with them (BRT) this afternoon, if I can get off work a little early. The only new Tower that I've seen is on hwy 34 between Marble Hill and Burfordville, I'm not sure if that's close enough or not as I live off of B Highway a couple of miles from Marble Hill. Does Big River have a forum or use anything other than Facebook, I wonder? It's kinda odd about the short range I've heard about, most other 4G systems have "from I've read and heard before anyhow" have around a 10 mile radius depending on the terrain, but I might be confused too...
Tony

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Well, after talking with them yesterday afternoon and again today at lunchtime. They've only got one tower close to Marble Hill currently on country road 402. That new one on Hwy 34 isn't theirs from what they said. Until their new towers come online, coverage in my area is spotty so it might work or not. I thought I'd go ahead try it and I went for the internet bundled with the local telephone service. So I guess we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck

Gartok

join:2012-07-27
Glenallen, MO
Good luck, Tony! Please keep us posted on your experience with it here.

So that new tower by the pipeline isn't even Big River's?

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Well, so far so good. We lost signal over the last weekend but usually cycling power on the modem/router fixed it. Basically while I'm only 2 miles from the tower, I've got some trees and hills in the way. Their tech support seems to be pretty good for the most part, they basically recommended me to get the modem/router as high as possible in the house or buy an external antenna (or they can install one and lease it to you).

Be sure to throughly explain where you are located at, preferably with them using google earth or some such mapping program or a physical map since Bollinger County still doesn't have the 911 addressing scheme yet which makes physically locating your house difficult. I even gave them the lat/long of where I was at, and they still had me inside Marble Hill, instead of where I actually live at. Oh well, I finally walked them (via google earth over the phone) their t/s from Marble Hill City to out where I lived at.

It's been working pretty good I guess, I did a speed test saturday and got 2.5Mbs down, while it's not the 5Mbs that's promised, it's a huge site better than wannabe 56k dialup that we could only get 45kps with. I just cancelled my dialup account this morning, so here's hoping that it continues to work and only get better..
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
Run some test during peak hours and see how it does. Late afternoon ealry evening. Use www.pingtest.net. That will measure latency and jitter. All the good stuff. Thanks Good Luck

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Sigh.. Well I'm back on dialup again. The 4G LTE from Big River didn't work out. It'd be working fine, we'd be on the web/ reading email/ whatever and the signal btn the modem/router and the tower would drop and go away. Sometimes it didn't come back for hours. They're only suggestion was to have them install an expensive outside antenna for an additional $5 a month. I tried to do the pingtests and they wouldn't complete, the site said they were being blocked or something.. Also sometimes while I would be browsing the web I would notice the wireless signal on my computer start dropping down to one bar, it was still working but a lot slower, and then maybe a little while later, it would start rising back up to the 4-5 bars it was before. So well, it was fun while it lasted but just not reliable enough for me at the moment.

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
That's not what I was hoping to hear but I somehow expected this to be the case. It sounds like it is more than just signal strength. Sorry it didn't work out.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Yea, I was kinda disappointed too. I was really hoping it would work out as we've on dialup for so many many years. I had even cancelled my dialup acct, I had to reactivate it this morning after I turned the modem/router back into Big River which wasn't a big deal fortunately. They also refunded the money that I paid when I got the service.
Tony

Gartok

join:2012-07-27
Glenallen, MO
reply to pnyxxpress
Sorry to hear that. If you're only 2 miles away from the tower, I have no idea how they can expect to cover much of Bollinger county with any sort of reliable service... Very frustrating all around.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Yea, that's what I was thinking, how can they cover Bollinger County with only one tower when the system has issues at 2 miles out. They only show one tower atm on their map, hopefully they'll have more soon but probably not this year. I can't see it being profitable with the number of towers that they're going to have to build/rent/lease/etc. to cover the whole county vs. the amount of people living in Bollinger county that'll use it. Maybe that's part of the plan. I kinda felt like I was involved in a "Beta Test" while I was using it. I did notice a large amount of towers in St. Genevieve and Francois counties, probably a lot more people and money up there??
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO

1 edit
reply to pnyxxpress
I'm taking the leap. I pick up my equipment tomorrow and I will definitely put it through some serious testing. I already know I'm in range a neighbor on the next street has it and seems to be working ok even without the external antenna. The gentleman that I spoke with said our tower is still using T1 lines for the backhaul until the Bonne Terre tower is completed. Once that is completed and online they will microwave from my tower to Terre-Du-Lac and that tower is fiber. Stay tuned.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO

1 edit
reply to pnyxxpress
Best of Luck, but with you posting earlier that "my tower is less than a mile and half away and I can see the lights on top of the tower in winter time" you'll probably be fine. I couldn't see the tower from my house until I pulled out onto the highway and headed towards Marble Hill. You say your neighbor on the next street has it, then do you possibly live in town? Isn't there cable or dsl available? The connection from BRT is probably faster that most dsl connections I'd imagine though.
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
I live in a rural area 7 miles north of Bonne Terre in the forgotten part of the county. Down the street is our rural subdivison.

Well, I picked up the modem Tuesday evening and returned it Wednesday morning. The download was 1/2 of the advertised 5 meg. Latency and jitter was down when compared to my ATT and sprint wireless. Which was promising. The T1 lines used for the backhaul are definitely not enough to support the handfull of users on the tower. It was extremely laggy at times. Given I still have t o pay to get of the Sprint contract I didn't feel it was that great of an improvement when I require stablility to work from home. To be perfectly honest I didn't see much improvemnet over my ATT 3G HSPA+ when it came to latency. I thought it would be better. After my findings I discussed my reason behind opting out this time around. The salesman told me they aren't even offering 12 meg plan off this tower until they can microwave to the Bonne Terre tower. I'm not even sure how they could sell me a 5 meg plan. For me to achive 5 meg I woul need to use the bandwidth of nearly 4 T1 lines. I just don't see that happening even if I was the only person on the tower. T1s are several hundred dollars a month each and they are going to let me pay 50 a month to use them..

So I am now on the call back list for round two when the Bonne Terre tower completed.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Yes, I'm not surprised. That's best download I could get was 2-2.5Mbps, almost half of the adv. 5Mbps, I couldn't even check the latency or jitter as I couldn't keep a connection long enough or the test would fail. I was only able to complete the download test a couple of times or so.

It'd be nice to know if/when more towers are going to be brought online. So far I don't know if there will be any more towers or where they'll be at for Bollinger County. With their short range I can't see BRT putting up towers every 2 couple miles or so just to cover their advertised "90% penetration of all households with the latest and greatest internet." I wonder if they're reading this forum and our posts on their broadband internet? It'd be nice if they would post here or have a forum for info/suggestions/troubleshooting/etc. instead of occasionally just posting on facebook.
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
I used the the hardware less than 24 hours. It been 3 weeks and I still haven't received my refund. I called and they told me it would be 3-4 weeks. The company still does everything on paper. What is is this the 80s....? 2 seconds to charge me 4+ weeks to get it back. I may not give them a second chance.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Yea, I thought that was kinda funny too. They immediately took my cash but took their time sending my a check when they could have given me my cash back. I keep thinking about giving them a 2nd chance since we went back to dialup, but I wasn't impressed with their tech support. We're having to goto town and use the wireless at the library, Holly's, or McD's to get anything done. According to the last salesman I talked with it'll be sometime summer 2013 before any more towers are online. I still can't seem them covering Bollinger County with towers the way they are up north, that just sounds too expensive.
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
Their website has an update. They now have another tower online in Bollinger county.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Yea, I'm following their twitter posts. This latest tower is up by Patton, from their website "Just North of Patton, Near 51 and 72". It's too far away from me for a connection. Especially considering that the one outside Marble Hill was less than 2 miles away and I couldn't maintain a reliable connection. I'm glad that they're leasing or building more towers to help with the coverage though.
Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
Well I never got that callback so I called them. The 4 T1 lines that was used as the backhaul on my local tower has been upgraded to a 100 meg backhaul. I guess it's time for round 2?

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
Second round looks real good! Latency is averaging 40ms and 3ms of jitter. In simple terms I now have a near level playing field when playing Black Ops on xbox live. No more 1/2 second delay.

I signed up for the 10 meg plan just to see what it would do without hitting the limits of the lower download packages. Given my location I've got a best of 6.6 down and 1 up. The average seem to be just below 5 meg. So I guess there is no reason to pay for the 10 meg plan if I will never see 10 meg downloads. I'm going to continue testing it for a couple of more days then I'll swap to the 5 meg plan for the remainer of the 14 day trial period. Tech support assured me I still should see the same download speeds with the cheaper plan but I wanted to be certain.

I'm also using my own external antenna so I'm not stuck renting theirs. I'll report back in few days.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
please keep us updated. what external antenna are you using? You've also said before that you can see their tower, so it's pretty close, is that right?
Thanks, Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
I am about 2 miles from the tower. In the winter I can just see the lights at night peeking over the a nearby hill. I am using a Wilson antenna.
»3gstore.com/product/2875_wilson-···453.html

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
Okay, thanks I just saved that link to the antenna, still debating on trying them (BRT) again as it's not like we have a lot of isp's to choose from out here. How high did you install the antenna?
Thanks, Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
I'm only about 10 feet off the ground. I only see 0-2 bars. I know those graphic signal strenth indicators aren't that accurate but that is all I have to work with. Even when I have no bars the downlaod and latency are the same as two bars.

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
so only two bars and it's working? that's kinda funny 'cause at times I'd have all the 4 or 5 bars and then other times nothing. They just said that you can't go by the bars for some reason. Still makes me think my modem was faulty.
hmmm.. Tony

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
OK.. Well I'm going to keep it. I made arrangements to cancel sprint and suck up the canellation fee.

As for the modem being faulty. I'm seeing some issues that I can't explain. The modem does drop connection randomly. This is evident because of the randomly changing IP address.

I noticed this last night and again this morning. When I log into the modem I have no info in the status tab. Which would indicate it has no connection but it is working. This morning it changed the IP address again and know I can't get to my network from my phone. So it appears it is now not allowing traffic to flow even though tech support can login into the modem. The service is not perfect but it is the best thing going.

I have a ticket open that hasn't been worked yet regarding the random disconnects. My last call to tech support they said no updates have been put in the ticket.

I'm going to raise my antenna this weekend another 10 feet. Hopefully that will help.

Based on what I seen this morning with the modem having a IP address but not allowing traffic to get through. I also have a digital timer I am going to use to power cycle the modem once a day. This issue could be related our wierd power fluctuations. I also have a router on my home network that seems to choke traffic if it isn't occasionally powercycled.

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
It's official. You will only get about 1/2 the advertised download. I was getting about 5-6 meg downloads on the most expensive plan. Tech support told me that would be the best I would probably see given the my location from the tower. If 5-6 is the best I can get no need to pay the 10 meg download. I downgraded to the 5 meg plan now I'm getting 3 meg at best. How's that work? My location hasn't changed.

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
It took a couple of calls but I'm now getting 5 meg download on the 5 meg service plan..

TonyKZ1

Marble Hill, MO
glad to see that it's somewhat working for you. I wonder if they are remotely accessing the modem to fix/change settings? Or if the issues are just in their tower(s). The "Home and Garden Show" at the Show-Me Center was this weekend in Cape Girardeau, I wonder how many people signed up for BRT's service.
Tony